December, tis the season of good will

Chat about anything and everything
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Awwwwwwww..........poor little chap.........I hope he was safe under your outside stairwell, Asy.

I looked up the Virginia opossum in Wikipedia and it seems they live for only 2 years anyway.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

I'm glad you are ok Eccs, I get slightly anxious if anyone goes missing for more than a couple of days :) no pressure on anyone, then!

I enjoyed reading about your Christmas Day, OC! how lovely that the Australians were here this year to share it with you, and having a child in the house always makes Christmas special.

Asy! You gave us a Christmas possum! :love :heart
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

Interesting little critter. It's a marsupial isn't it? AFAIR the only one remaining in North America.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Just popping in here quickly to let you all know that Merry is not feeling well. :/ She is down with another bad cold and horrible cough and will therefore not be able to post on here for a few days. But she sends her warmest regards and will be back asap.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Thanks for the info Tom - it must be very draining and depressing for her to not shake off this horrid cold and coughing. I'll PM her to let her know I shall see to the weekend quizzes and the marking for her.
Last edited by OurCreature on Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

Aww, poor Merry. Kids are notorious for bringing home all sorts of viruses but you'd expect that to stop when they become adults. :ohwell
A socially distanced hug is in order. :hugs
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

Poor merry. Is it flu i wonder rates are 7 times as many but how do they know as we don't get flu tests. Any cold that stops you doing stuff is diagnosed flu. Merry had the flu vaccine though didn't she. Whatever it is sounds horrid so get well soon merry.
Wildrover

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

Hi all - hope you all had a good christmas and the poorly ones are on the road to recovery. We went to MYF's parents as planned for Christmas Eve and should have returned Boxing day evening. Unfortunately by Christmas Day all 5 of MYF's family were varying degrees of poorly and I ended up on veg duty. On Boxing Day they all had sinusitis and raking coughs and were virtually bedbound so I have been Nurse/Cook/Shopper Wildrover for the last three days. MYF finally felt well enough to come home yesterday afternoon and her parents are in much better shape although they are concerned that I might be an alien as I spent 4 hours two days running at a dining table with them and two others all of whom were Covid infected and now 4 days with them all infected with this virus without even a sniffle.

We got home yesterday - to no central heatng, no electrical power and a saturated kitchen floor so MYF didn't even make it out of the car before I'd turned round and taken her back to her parents. I found the flooding problem straight away - my tiler had pushed a pipe back too hard under the sink and created a weakness at a joint which had cracked under the water pressure. Given that he is also a qualified plumber this should not have happened so I rang him and told him I was extremely unhappy and to his credit he turned up within 15 minutes (he was not working yesterday) and removed the whole pipe assembly, replaced it all and had everything leak free in just over an hour at no charge. He pointed out that the pipes were original i.e. 40 years old and quite oxidised and weak and he had a point but he knew he'd screwed up so didn't push it.

Then it was electrics - I started by turning off every individual fuse, turning on the main fuse and then switching the individual fuses back on one at a time to isolate the fault. I suspected it was the very wet kitchen so I turned that fuse on last and it was indeed the kitchen sockets fuse (the cooker and lights are on separate fuses and were OK). I unplugged all the appliances to check it wasn't a faulty appliance but the fuse still tripped so the fault had to be one of the sockets itself or the wiring which seemed unlikely. There's one low level socket under the sink and I thought that must be red hot favourite so I took it apart and dried it with a hair dryer on an extension lead. Turned everything back on again and voila everything worked again. Feeling very pleased with myself I sat down for a cigarette and had just finished it when everything cut out again - that'll teach me for being smug. I'd now reached the limit of my Sherlock Holmes electrical detection powers so I called an old friend who is an electrician. Leave it overnight says he - so I switched off the kitchen, put the heating on constant, went out and got fish and chips for dinner and opened my Christmas present of gin to console myself about life's unfairness. This morning everything happily worked fine - for about 20 minutes :cry . I called my electrician and he very kindly turned up on my doorstep 30 minutes later with his van of tricks one of which plugs into an electrical socket and bypasses it allowing him to isolate individual sockets within an individual circuit. The socket under the sink is he problem so he replaces it and everything works - for 5 minutes. I leave him to it as I'm about ready to tear my hair out and it takes a good half hour before I hear a series of curses. He's traced the wiring to the socket under the kitchen units and found a bit that's had the outer coating nibbled which is fine as long as the bare wire doesn't touch a conductor...or get wet. (I had a couple of mice take up residence 10 years ago so I assume it happened then). He spliced in a new length of cable and that seems to have fixed the problem. I tried to pay him - he was here 2 hours but he's not having any of it and tells me to buy him a pint of Peroni next time I see him.

I tell this story to MYF and her parents and they are now utterly convinced I'm an alien. Her dad asks "How can you get an emergency plumber and an emergency electrician on the day before New Year's Eve within half an hour who fix your problems and charge you a total of £5.20?" :rofl Anyway MYF is now back in residence albeit tucked under a blanket with a mountain of Sudafed while I'm in a t-shirt (guess who forgot to take the heating off constant until this morning). So all in all not quite the Christmas I was expecting..
Last edited by Wildrover on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

..................but one I'm sure you will enjoy regaling your pub chums with for a long time after a few beers................. :)

Seriously, it must have been a horrid shock for both of you when you got home, and good for you for knowing how to fix a lot of it yourself and knowing the right people to fix what you couldn't fix. I think that deserves a :clap !
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

I tell this story to MYF and her parents and they are now utterly convinced I'm an alien. Her dad asks "How can you get an emergency plumber and an emergency electrician on the day before New Year's Eve within half an hour who fix your problems and charge you a total of £5.20?"
The answer to that is obvious.
ET.jpg
Wildrover

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

Nice one Eccles :D . And yes OC, it will be a good pub story although MYF's parents seem to have adopted our pub as their new local.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

I felt exhausted reading WR's tale of disasters but glad it had a happy ending! Hope MYF feels better soon!

After a rough few days I'm finally feeling a lot better though still thick with congestion. Thanks for all the well-wishes. I have no idea if it was a new sort of Covid or even possibly flu, though apart from the shortness of breath I don't think it was quite bad enough for flu. Juliet had it worst really. The last bastion to fall, Mr Merry, began coughing yesterday and definitely has the same thing but he's much braver and less moany than I am and insists he 'feels fine in himself'.

Anyway despite everything we had a lovely Christmas really and will have a very low-key NYE tonight, Juliet is coming round and we'll have some party food by the Christmas tree and maybe a Christmas University Challenge or something. Go us!

Has anyone any more exciting plans than this? Hope
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Patience »

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Merry. Like you I was exhausted reading WR’s update. He certainly has a way with people.
Absolutely no plans for tonight. Boo.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I have been sort of enjoying myself today and yesterday bringing my investment records up to date for calendar 2022 and posting about them on the financial board of which I am a member and very occasional contributor. I joined the predecessor of this financial board 20 years ago but (you've guessed it) Chaircat Midge did nearly all the posting because she regarded my investments as hers - contributing as they did to the furtherance of my Duty in keeping her and Sister Claire comfortable, healthy and well fed.

I was pleased to see that despite a turbulent year the capital value of my portfolio remained static, and that dividend income increased by 10% and all of it tax-free as well as most of the shares/collective investments are sheltered in an ISA. On top of that there was a special dividend and some returns of capital which were equivalent to 38% of the dividend income and additional to the dividend income. Happy Chappie OC. :)

And a few minutes ago I had a bedraggled brown envelope pushed through my letter box by probably an even more bedraggled postie. This was from HMRC, and inside was the bit of paper I have been waiting for - my revised tax calculation for 2021/22. Despite my online account saying all the tax had been paid for that year the actual calculation said I owed £12.40 tax which is what I expected originally. But now their idea of the interest I received for 2021/22 agrees with my records of interest received so I am happy. They will either take it by means of a code adjustment in 2023/24 or I can pay via my account; I haven't decided which, but I shall make up my mind in January.

No plans for tonight, but it is Jeff's birthday today so I shall have a large glass of the brandy they bought me for Xmas to celebrate in spirit with him; it's good for him to have his immediate family with him at Centerparcs to help him celebrate - which I'm sure the Aussies will greatly enjoy helping with................. :p
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Hello Hagsrus!

So glad you made it here! :hugs

I missed you.