What's happening in the garden!

Plants, gardens, tools, furniture, etc
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I put some weedkiller down last week on the back street which identifies as my back garden since our yorkstones were robbed and was doing well grass looking straw like etc but today there are lots of new green leaves. I know weeds grow back but a few days is ridiculous.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Weeds, grrr! why do they flourish so weedily when rare and precious olive trees and seed-grown pomegranates have to be nurtured so tenderly and try to die all the time?

I haven't mown our lawn this year since when I injured my arm. It looks a bit wild out there.

This is the last, the very last, Tom Tomato! It was waiting for me as a homecoming gift :)
tomslast.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

And here is a sunflower, it's rather special, as we grew it from seeds from last year's sunflower (four died, two survived).

As well as the butterfly, it is covered with tiny little flies as you can probably see. Not so pretty but presumably performing some process of Nature
sunflower.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

A nice red admiral, Merry. There seems to have been a late summer burst of them.
I always think of The Flowerpot Men and Little Weed who looked very like a sunflower.
bill.jpg
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

:D

I love that pic! I think if I were a flower, I'd be Little Weed :rofl
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

My next door neighbour has sunflowers in her garden. She gets seeds for her bird feeders but some of the birds are messy eaters and sometimes a stray seed finds its way into one of her flowerpots (Is it Bill or is it Ben? :))
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I made a start today on weeding all the patio pots and clearing out the supermarket trays I use for various plants, veg and flowers.

It was hard work. But it's a start. We have some seed potatoes already and must get those started off soon.

Most things seem to have survived the winter. Buddy and Holly are struggling a bit... we'll see.