Welcome to new members, please read!

ColleenD
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

graceeliz wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:54 pm Hi all!
I'm Grace, I live in Cumbria in the far north, a proper Northerner, me. I'm the person who left the comment "*violently enthusiastic outpouring of Northern solidarity*" on The Honeysuckle and the Thorn. I love North and South, so much so I used it as my other book for my A Level Lit project, which was to do with social inequality in Gatsby and N&S. Anyone truly wishing to read it can ask, I'm sure it exists still somewhere. I hope it does, it took ages. I'm currently writing, amongst massive amounts of other fic and some original historical short stories, LOTR fic, one of which is putting Thorin into a N&S situation.
It's lovely to be here!
Welcome Grace!

Yea! Another LOTR fan! I have made a few silly attempts at crossing N&S with Tolkien. I can't wait to see what you can do.
YorkshireRose

Post by YorkshireRose »

ColleenD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:50 am
YorkshireRose wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:17 am Thank you, all, for such a warm welcome!! I'm a Brit living in the western US who usually spends most of her time exploring the Great Outdoors, and who has only recently returned to literature. I've devoured all your work, and am so impressed by your writing. I *would* like to try my hand one of these days, but it's been years since I've written anything that isn't hard science.

I fell in love with N&S back when it first aired in 2004 (and yes I remember the forums crashing!!). Many of the viewers went on to do writing courses, study English literature at postgraduate level, start new careers...all inspired by a period drama the BBC barely advertised! I read the book whilst waiting for episode 3 to air and must admit I've not read it since. I have, however, watched it countless times, and bought so many DVDs to give as presents I should have been rewarded by the BBC! It's only recently that it occurred to me to read fan fiction, and it's been quite the pleasure.

PS I've just realised how long it's been since I used a forum such as this, and how reliant I am on emojis; I must reacquaint myself and work out how to add the latter!
Welcome, Rose!

What Western US State are you in? I live in Alaska but I have lived in New Mexico and Arizona (although I am originally from PA). What hard science were/are you involved with?
Thank you, Colleen!

I'm in CA. I've not yet been to AL, NM or PA although I aim to. AZ I loved, those saguaro everywhere. AL in particular I'm eager to visit, it just seems so...spectacular. Do you like it there?

My writing (and reading) is dominated by epidemiology. Are you in the sciences too?
YorkshireRose

Post by YorkshireRose »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:13 am
YorkshireRose wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:17 am Thank you, all, for such a warm welcome!! I'm a Brit living in the western US who usually spends most of her time exploring the Great Outdoors, and who has only recently returned to literature. I've devoured all your work, and am so impressed by your writing. I *would* like to try my hand one of these days, but it's been years since I've written anything that isn't hard science.

I fell in love with N&S back when it first aired in 2004 (and yes I remember the forums crashing!!). Many of the viewers went on to do writing courses, study English literature at postgraduate level, start new careers...all inspired by a period drama the BBC barely advertised! I read the book whilst waiting for episode 3 to air and must admit I've not read it since. I have, however, watched it countless times, and bought so many DVDs to give as presents I should have been rewarded by the BBC! It's only recently that it occurred to me to read fan fiction, and it's been quite the pleasure.

PS I've just realised how long it's been since I used a forum such as this, and how reliant I am on emojis; I must reacquaint myself and work out how to add the latter!
You lovely dear, we are sooooo happy to have you! Please do write something! Even if only for yourself. We love sharing ideas and stories here 🤗

As for your reliance on emojis....well....you're not alone! 🤭🤣
Hahaha! :rofl

I must say, I avoided modern settings until I read yours, and I can totally envisage your John Thornton! One day, after I've cleared my mind, I'd love to try my hand at something :-)
YorkshireRose

Post by YorkshireRose »

merry wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:09 pm We are so pleased to have you, Yorkshire Rose!

Smilies should be just over there --------------------->

Click on one and it SHALL be entered! (if you need any help just shout) we all rely on them nowadays. It really vexes me that if i reply to comments on my stories on my laptop I don't have smilies available... another regrettable modern thing I LOVE is 'lol', I use it all the time, how did we ever manage without lol, and yet when I send it to eg my Uncle I could tell he was bemused.
I have, however, watched it countless times, and bought so many DVDs to give as presents I should have been rewarded by the BBC!
Me too, Rose!!! I bought several when they were £2.99 just before Christmas, incredible bargain. I'd have paid ten times that, a hundred, for the absolute joy John and Margaret have brought me...

merry/Sebastian
2.99?!? That's a travesty! I remember the BBC had no intention of releasing a DVD, it's only because so many of us clamoured for it at the time they finally relented! I always know when someone's watched their copy, I get gushing texts in the small hours of the morning, swooning over that kiss :smug :smug
ColleenD
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

YorkshireRose wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:40 am
Thank you, Colleen!

I'm in CA. I've not yet been to AL, NM or PA although I aim to. AZ I loved, those saguaro everywhere. AL in particular I'm eager to visit, it just seems so...spectacular. Do you like it there?

My writing (and reading) is dominated by epidemiology. Are you in the sciences too?
I have a BS in Physics and Math and went to grad school in Tuscon for 1.5 yrs before I dropped out to move to Alaska and get married. I met my husband (who was from AK) working at Los Alamos National Lab in NM. I then worked as a communications engineer here in AK before becoming a SAHM.

This is the wrong time of year to ask me if I like it here in Alaska. Cold and dark is not my thing but the summers are awesome! Temps in the 70s and daylight practically around the clock. I do love XC skiing though, that is my winter activity.

Are you in northern or southern CA? I was only in CA when I drove through it on my way to Alaska.
YorkshireRose

Post by YorkshireRose »

ColleenD wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:37 am
YorkshireRose wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:40 am
Thank you, Colleen!

I have a BS in Physics and Math and went to grad school in Tuscon for 1.5 yrs before I dropped out to move to Alaska and get married. I met my husband (who was from AK) working at Los Alamos National Lab in NM. I then worked as a communications engineer here in AK before becoming a SAHM.

This is the wrong time of year to ask me if I like it here in Alaska. Cold and dark is not my thing but the summers are awesome! Temps in the 70s and daylight practically around the clock. I do love XC skiing though, that is my winter activity.

Are you in northern or southern CA? I was only in CA when I drove through it on my way to Alaska.
Oops, Alaska is AK, not AL! I can't imagine what it must be like in winter, especially after NM. I'm in northern CA. I've driven to WA, but I'd love to go further to BC and then AK. The PNW has a very special beauty.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Welcome to our new member, Dianakc!

Nothing we love more than a new Miller! I hope you like it here, Diana - just dive right in.

merry/Sebastian xxx :grouphug
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Hi Dianakc! Welcome to the group!
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

Hello Dianack!

I think I just had a comment from you on A03. Lovely to see you here. Jump right in,!!
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Welcome to FMN49, a username which I'm struggling to make a little love-name of :lol but one will come in time, I'm sure...!

So happy to have you here! do talk to us! :bighug
FMN49

Post by FMN49 »

OK you've enticed me out of lurk-dom to join/comment.... lol

I enjoy the community you've created here and love to see what all you talented writers are working on. I am in awe of your imagination, self-discipline & creativeness that we readers look forward to.

About me: funnily enough I am a neighbor of Colleen!! (100 miles away lol); don't remember how/when I first saw N&S but prob after 1995 P&P (and that was late to the party) which is where I first encountered fanfic. Now I'm mainly enjoying just N&S and Bridgerton fanfic, esp. modern AUs. Really waiting for another chapter of Fake It 'til You Make It (hint hint), love that John & Margaret. Just read The Blue Castle on the mention here.

A question: would it be possible to have a thread for authors to post (maybe with a link to AO3/FF?) when they upload a new work or chapter of a continued story? That way we readers would know exactly when/where to look. Just a thought.... :bighug

Very glad to be here; nice to meet you all!
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

OK you've enticed me out of lurk-dom to join/comment.... lol
:D I am so glad it worked!

What a lovely message! thank you so much! Readers are actually the real lifeblood of this fandom and we appreciate them more than we can say.
A question: would it be possible to have a thread for authors to post (maybe with a link to AO3/FF?) when they upload a new work or chapter of a continued story? That way we readers would know exactly when/where to look. Just a thought....
Well I think that's a great idea. We'll make one - calls for Tom :lol (or anyone!)

I was beyond delighted you posted, Effie (will that do? ;) Please stay with us!

merry (Sebastian) xxxx :hugs
ColleenD
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

FMN49 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 pm OK you've enticed me out of lurk-dom to join/comment.... lol

I enjoy the community you've created here and love to see what all you talented writers are working on. I am in awe of your imagination, self-discipline & creativeness that we readers look forward to.

About me: funnily enough I am a neighbor of Colleen!! (100 miles away lol); don't remember how/when I first saw N&S but prob after 1995 P&P (and that was late to the party) which is where I first encountered fanfic. Now I'm mainly enjoying just N&S and Bridgerton fanfic, esp. modern AUs. Really waiting for another chapter of Fake It 'til You Make It (hint hint), love that John & Margaret. Just read The Blue Castle on the mention here.

A question: would it be possible to have a thread for authors to post (maybe with a link to AO3/FF?) when they upload a new work or chapter of a continued story? That way we readers would know exactly when/where to look. Just a thought.... :bighug

Welcome FMN49!

Let's see, 100 miles from me. Where does that put you? Homer, Seward, Anchorage? I lived in Anchorage for many years. Glad to see you here. This is a very fun and supportive forum.

Colleen
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

Welcome to the board effie!
Really waiting for another chapter of Fake It 'til You Make It (hint hint), love that John & Margaret.
I've been typing away all weekend, Effie, I promise. Colleen can tell you. I'm so glad you've decided to start commenting and enjoying yourself here.
Well I think that's a great idea. We'll make one - calls for Tom :lol (or anyone!)
I can manage that!

Anyway. Welcome and please do speak up. Cheers, love.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

FMN49 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 pm OK you've enticed me out of lurk-dom to join/comment.... lol

A very warm welcome, FMN49! So lovely to have you here!!! Looking forward to chatting about all things N&S with you! 😊😊
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Forsteriaana30
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Welcome, Dianakc and FMN49 or Effie. :wave Enjoy our forum. It's really wonderful. 😃
FMN49 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 pm I enjoy the community you've created here and love to see what all you talented writers are working on. I am in awe of your imagination, self-discipline & creativeness that we readers look forward to.
What a wonderful words. Thank you very much, Effie. :cuddle Glad you enjoying our kind and nice community. It's really so fun. :lol In near time I'll posting a few new N&S stories, so I hope you'll read and leave comments there, and also will like them. :blush Great you're here, Effie! 😃
FMN49 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 pm A question: would it be possible to have a thread for authors to post (maybe with a link to AO3/FF?) when they upload a new work or chapter of a continued story? That way we readers would know exactly when/where to look. Just a thought....
This was so genius and wonderful idea. It needed us, so thank you very much for it, Effie! :clap
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
MrBingleysMama

Post by MrBingleysMama »

Hello all,
I am new here and was just wondering if anyone could recommend some published n&s fan fictions that are clean. I am looking at possibly buying no such thing as luck by Nicole clarkston.

I am reading the original n&s for the first time. I have loved the bbc series ever since I first saw it years ago but I just signed up for britbox and now that I have access to it again I find myself obsessed.

Also for the record, I don’t really mind reading a bit of smut but tbh m/f smut makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. definitely a me thing I think.
DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Hi Mr Bingley's Mama!

I can't tell you about N&S stories that you pay for (if that's what you mean by published), but if you want to read amateur fiction on places like ArchiveOfOurOwn, you can use filters to exclude anything that's labelled as Mature or Explicit.
General only: https://archiveofourown.org/works?commi ... +%7C+UK+TV
Teen only: https://archiveofourown.org/works?commi ... +%7C+UK+TV

For specific recommendations:
Pippa's The Rhythm of Life is highly regarded. She has occasional smutty chapters, but they're not super explicit, and sensitively written. https://archiveofourown.org/works/41127966
(It's rated M because it's got a lot of dark things happening, basically a modern retelling that doesn't shy away from the tragic subplots of the original.)
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

Welcome Mr Binglys Mama!

I absolutely love your handle. So fun! Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself! Daisy's stories on A03 are lovely and so incredibly clever. My favourite of hers is Grace

https://archiveofourown.org/works/41701 ... /104607888

🥰🥰 Pippa
Last edited by Philipaholt on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

MrBingleysMama wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:33 pm Hello all,
I am new here and was just wondering if anyone could recommend some published n&s fan fictions that are clean. I am looking at possibly buying no such thing as luck by Nicole clarkston.

I am reading the original n&s for the first time. I have loved the bbc series ever since I first saw it years ago but I just signed up for britbox and now that I have access to it again I find myself obsessed.

Also for the record, I don’t really mind reading a bit of smut but tbh m/f smut makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. definitely a me thing I think.
Daisy is absolutely correct about A03. The ratings are very helpful and theres loads of lovely (free!!) Fictions there.

One of my favorites is ElizaG1's story "Together At Christmas".
https://archiveofourown.org/works/27583 ... s/67475038
She's fantastic. She has another story "Into Conscience Collision" which is also very good but it has one explicit chapter (chapter 8? Maybe 9) BUT it's clearly labeled and easily skipped over and the story does not change.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/32146 ... s/79648294