Welcome to new members, please read!

MrBingleysMama
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:10 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by MrBingleysMama »

Thanks for welcoming me! My puppy’s name is Mr Bingley so that is my inspiration for my handle.
I did in fact mean books to buy. My sister won’t read fanfiction because of the temptation of the smut so I can’t recommend fanfics even if they are great because she will never go on the sites.
But I will check out your recommendations thank you. My only plot device I can’t stand is when there is a lack of communication/ misunderstanding that could easily be avoided. You could say I have a clear communication kink lol.
User avatar
ColleenD
200 Posts
200 Posts
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:22 am

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by ColleenD »

MrBingleysMama wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:43 am Thanks for welcoming me! My puppy’s name is Mr Bingley so that is my inspiration for my handle.
I did in fact mean books to buy. My sister won’t read fanfiction because of the temptation of the smut so I can’t recommend fanfics even if they are great because she will never go on the sites.
But I will check out your recommendations thank you. My only plot device I can’t stand is when there is a lack of communication/ misunderstanding that could easily be avoided. You could say I have a clear communication kink lol.
Nice to meet you Mrs. B!

I absolutely loved 'No Such Thing as Luck' and Nicole's other N&S books were also pretty good. I also think Trudy Brasure's books 'In Consequence' and 'A Heart for Milton' are very good. They are available on amazon but can also be found for free on WattPad.
User avatar
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by Philipaholt »

MrBingleysMama wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:43 am Thanks for welcoming me! My puppy’s name is Mr Bingley so that is my inspiration for my handle.
I did in fact mean books to buy. My sister won’t read fanfiction because of the temptation of the smut so I can’t recommend fanfics even if they are great because she will never go on the sites.
But I will check out your recommendations thank you. My only plot device I can’t stand is when there is a lack of communication/ misunderstanding that could easily be avoided. You could say I have a clear communication kink lol.
OMG I hate miscommunication plots as well. I'm sorry I can't recommend any particular books as I'm cheap as sh*t and never buy what I can get for free. But Colleen is a great source. As, I believe, is Mimosa. Maybe this is a sign I ought to make mine into a book...🤔
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
MrBingleysMama
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:10 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by MrBingleysMama »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 am
OMG I hate miscommunication plots as well. I'm sorry I can't recommend any particular books as I'm cheap as sh*t and never buy what I can get for free. But Colleen is a great source. As, I believe, is Mimosa. Maybe this is a sign I ought to make mine into a book...🤔
You write too? Which ones do you write?
User avatar
ColleenD
200 Posts
200 Posts
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:22 am

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by ColleenD »

MrBingleysMama wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:58 am
Philipaholt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 am
OMG I hate miscommunication plots as well. I'm sorry I can't recommend any particular books as I'm cheap as sh*t and never buy what I can get for free. But Colleen is a great source. As, I believe, is Mimosa. Maybe this is a sign I ought to make mine into a book...🤔
You write too? Which ones do you write?
Oh, Pippa is a wonderful writer! Her BIGGEST BESTEST story is 'Rhythm of Life' which can be found here https://archiveofourown.org/works/41127 ... /103092675
It is a modern retelling of N&S and is just awesome! She has written a few wonderful spin offs of it as well. Do check it out.
mimosa
300 Posts
300 Posts
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:00 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by mimosa »

MrBingleysMama wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:43 am Thanks for welcoming me! My puppy’s name is Mr Bingley so that is my inspiration for my handle.
I did in fact mean books to buy. My sister won’t read fanfiction because of the temptation of the smut so I can’t recommend fanfics even if they are great because she will never go on the sites.
But I will check out your recommendations thank you. My only plot device I can’t stand is when there is a lack of communication/ misunderstanding that could easily be avoided. You could say I have a clear communication kink lol.
Philipaholt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 am
OMG I hate miscommunication plots as well. I'm sorry I can't recommend any particular books as I'm cheap as sh*t and never buy what I can get for free. But Colleen is a great source. As, I believe, is Mimosa. Maybe this is a sign I ought to make mine into a book...🤔
Welcome, Mr. BingleysMama!!

When you say smut, are you talking about smut smut or sex in general? Because while Trudy Brasure has the sweetest books, they have descriptive sex scenes particularly after the wedding, yet I still find it tasteful. You can make your own decision on that. I have reread her books several times over.

Pippa, you are very sweet!

Common Ground by Elain Owen would be a good choice as well as her other book.
Nicole Clarkston will have some married sex scenes as well...her one book that has a communication kink that would drive you nuts...it's Nowhere But North. It's a good book, but yeah...I liked how it started, I liked how it ended, but the middle with all the angst was "Ahhhh!"

There is a thread called good N&S fics...that has a ton of suggestions for you I believe, and I wrote a few descriptions of the books that I have read/bought, etc. I think I have all the bought fics on my kindle.

One author on AO3 that suits your preference is our own Annabella Grace. Particularly "The Gloves" and "A Sister's Love", "A Beautiful Life", and "The Choice". Also our own ColleenD also has several stories that are coded G or T that you (or your sister) would appreciate as well.

How's that for a start?

All the writers here at the Mill are very talented, especially if they are ESL, but some of them will write "smut". (I am not a writer.) But yes, if you have personal preferences, I will send you in a different direction.

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Forsteriaana30
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 601
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:37 pm
Location: Latvia

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

MrBingleysMama wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:43 am Thanks for welcoming me! My puppy’s name is Mr Bingley so that is my inspiration for my handle.
I did in fact mean books to buy. My sister won’t read fanfiction because of the temptation of the smut so I can’t recommend fanfics even if they are great because she will never go on the sites.
But I will check out your recommendations thank you. My only plot device I can’t stand is when there is a lack of communication/ misunderstanding that could easily be avoided. You could say I have a clear communication kink lol.
Welcome, Mrs B. How to nice too see new faces here in our forum. 😃 Well, girls are already adviced what to read for you and I agree with them. Those stories are wonderful. True. Also without not so explicit smut. Really. 🥰

I also don't like communication/misunderstanding plots. It's so torturing, 'cuz I love when John& Margaret are happy together. 😍❤️ But I'll write one story in future with a little bit this plot, 'cuz I want to just try this too. 😁

Anyway, from my stories in Ao3 and FF.net is one explicit smut, but others is very sweet/fluff and I'm working with next story at the moment and there won't be smut, more romantic making love scene, so I hope you'll read mines too. 😉

Like mim, I also have in Kindle almost all N&S fanfic books, and some are still not read, but I want read, just waiting when I'll be more time for it. So I'm very much in N&S world, 'cuz I love this novel and it's my favorite from all classic novels. Can tell I'm obsessed too with it! :lol 😍❤️‍🔥
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
User avatar
merry
  
  
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:01 pm
Location: Cotswolds, UK
Contact:

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by merry »

Welcome MrBingley'sMama! I love your name and the story behind it! You can post a picture of Mr Bingley in our Pets topic, somewhere higher up the board ^^^^ :) I'm sure we'd all love to see him!

So glad to have you here :hugs

edit: I see you did post him! and he is GORGEOUS!!!

merry (Sebastian on AO3/FF I decided to keep my writing name just for writing so am merry everywhere else)
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
MrBingleysMama
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:10 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by MrBingleysMama »

Nice to meet you merry! I have been gradually making my way through the n&s fanfics and some of them I quite like. I just finished travine’s beneath a starry Christmas sky and it was adorable. I would have liked to read a longer story on that one but I also love one shots. I also read the Christmas one by Eliza something that someone recommended. So cute! I’m not really one for Christmas irl, but the stories can be so cute sometimes!
dianakc
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:55 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by dianakc »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:29 am Hello Dianack!

I think I just had a comment from you on A03. Lovely to see you here. Jump right in,!!
Hi sorry I'm late in replying. I'm finding this platform tricky. I'll get used to it x
dianakc
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:55 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by dianakc »

merry wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:21 pm Welcome to our new member, Dianakc!

Nothing we love more than a new Miller! I hope you like it here, Diana - just dive right in.

merry/Sebastian xxx :grouphug
Thank you for the welcome x
User avatar
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:39 pm
Location: Austria

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by TRavine »

MrBingleysMama wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:49 pm Nice to meet you merry! I have been gradually making my way through the n&s fanfics and some of them I quite like. I just finished travine’s beneath a starry Christmas sky and it was adorable. I would have liked to read a longer story on that one but I also love one shots. I also read the Christmas one by Eliza something that someone recommended. So cute! I’m not really one for Christmas irl, but the stories can be so cute sometimes!
(A late) welcome MrBingleysMama. Your handle is ADORABLE!! Especially with the puppy story behind it! I love it. Thanks a lot for reading my story! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I'm afraid most of my other stories are probably too explicit for your taste. :P ;) But I shall try and write something smutless again...one day...XD

I hope you'll have fun here! The mill is a lovely place.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
barelytolerable
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:01 am
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by barelytolerable »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:20 am
MrBingleysMama wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:33 pm Hello all,
I am new here and was just wondering if anyone could recommend some published n&s fan fictions that are clean. I am looking at possibly buying no such thing as luck by Nicole clarkston.

I am reading the original n&s for the first time. I have loved the bbc series ever since I first saw it years ago but I just signed up for britbox and now that I have access to it again I find myself obsessed.

Also for the record, I don’t really mind reading a bit of smut but tbh m/f smut makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. definitely a me thing I think.
Daisy is absolutely correct about A03. The ratings are very helpful and theres loads of lovely (free!!) Fictions there.

One of my favorites is ElizaG1's story "Together At Christmas".
https://archiveofourown.org/works/27583 ... s/67475038
She's fantastic. She has another story "Into Conscience Collision" which is also very good but it has one explicit chapter (chapter 8? Maybe 9) BUT it's clearly labeled and easily skipped over and the story does not change.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/32146 ... s/79648294
Omg, I hop onto the forum to promote #NorthAndSouth Sunday and see this lovely comment. Thanks Philipa!!! Do check out Philipa's stories too, and I'm not just saying that because she just rec'd mine. Philipa's "Fake It Till You Make It" is my fav modern retelling! Rated M so far! https://archiveofourown.org/works/35649 ... s/88885846
"He is my first olive: let me make a face while I swallow it." (Chapter 21 of N&S)

My fanfics on AO3
barelytolerable
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:01 am
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by barelytolerable »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 am
MrBingleysMama wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:43 am Thanks for welcoming me! My puppy’s name is Mr Bingley so that is my inspiration for my handle.
I did in fact mean books to buy. My sister won’t read fanfiction because of the temptation of the smut so I can’t recommend fanfics even if they are great because she will never go on the sites.
But I will check out your recommendations thank you. My only plot device I can’t stand is when there is a lack of communication/ misunderstanding that could easily be avoided. You could say I have a clear communication kink lol.
OMG I hate miscommunication plots as well. I'm sorry I can't recommend any particular books as I'm cheap as sh*t and never buy what I can get for free. But Colleen is a great source. As, I believe, is Mimosa. Maybe this is a sign I ought to make mine into a book...🤔
The answer is yes- make yours into a book! :p
"He is my first olive: let me make a face while I swallow it." (Chapter 21 of N&S)

My fanfics on AO3
User avatar
merry
  
  
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:01 pm
Location: Cotswolds, UK
Contact:

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by merry »

Another lovely new member today!

Welcome, Holly! what a pretty name.

Just dive in and read, lurk, post... chat... whatever makes you happy.

Thank you so much for joining us!

merry/Sebastian
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
User avatar
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:39 pm
Location: Austria

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by TRavine »

A very warm welcome to Holly! 🥰🥰
Happy to see a new member! Have fun with the board, looking forward to chatting with you. 😊😊
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
User avatar
Forsteriaana30
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 601
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:37 pm
Location: Latvia

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Welcome, Holly. :wave Have a fun here. Hope you'll enjoy our wonderful forum! :up
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
User avatar
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Welcome to new members, please read!

Post by Philipaholt »

Hello holly, and welcome here.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Post Reply