The King's Coronation - UK May 2023

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

We are going to get an extra bank holiday to recover from having seen the coronation.

So there will be 3 Mondays in may as bank holidays now. The coronation is on a Saturday so why don't they just make Saturday the bank holiday. These days most staff recruited recently are on modern contracts where saturdays and bank holidays don't matter and if you want the day off it comes out of your allowances. So bank holidays aren't really relevant especially when not on the day itself.

Still waiting to hear what the king is doing about his deputy counsellors. I don't know what the delay is. It has needed sorting for years even for the dear dead queen but I guess it wasn't because queen and Charles disagreed about who to get rid of. Now it's up to Charles he should have just asked parliament to change his laws right away. Perhaps he did and they have been too busy getting new leaders though.

For most of his adult life Charles has been whining on about needing a slimmed down monarchy and wanted just him and his sons families. Harry has scuppered the plan to some extent but is interesting that now Charles is king he realises he actually needs some so called hangers on to get all the work done. They could just keep the government and forces roles though and stop with all the charity visits reducing the work would enable reducing the working royals. These days there are so many other more famous people (that I usually never heard of) willing to cut ribbons and better known to most audiences too. Ex soap stars and footballers that sort of thing. Charles is keeping the Duke of Gloucester who has quietly worked hard for many years and probably deserves it but seems a bit unfair to me to keep your mother's cousin when you have refused working royal jobs to much nearer relatives. They probably don't want them now of course but it's very bad succession planning by the palace.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I think the Duke of Gloucester gave up a very good career in architecture when his older brother who would have been Duke was killed in an accident, because he knew that as a not particularly minor Royal (same grade as the Duke of Kent) he would be expected to chip in with royal duties for The Firm.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Dear god why do we humour these very ordinary humans with these silly titles.

I'm going to call myself the High TarumTum of Toddington .
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

We have to have a king or queen because thats how our government works until it gets changed and nothing would get done without one even less than now with prime ministers resigning before they actually do much. We would have to elect a president and he or she would need to keep resigning every time there was bother. At least monarchs are there for life with occasional abdications.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

We would have to change some laws of course, but we made them in the first place so that's ok.

There is no reason why we'd need a president and if there were it could be one guy on minimum wage. He would need no powers so it could be a rota of people like jury duty. It's not as though the Queen stepped in and ran the country when a PM resigned. She just waved her hand and people said "phew that's ok then". In fact I nominate the Downing Street Cat who has performed reliably throughout five administrations.

PresidentLarry.jpg

A royal family/President/Dictator will argue that without one person/group at the top living in luxury beyond the wildest dreams of those at the bottom we could not deal as equals with other countries. It's perfect material for a comedy sketch since all the others are telling their serfs the same thing.

If there are any royals actually doing real jobs then they should be employed to do them like anyone else. They can put their resume in, get interviewed, employed, and be subject to normal working rules. Which won't include immunity from prosecution for their second cousin twice removed on their mother's side.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Switzerland has a Federal Council consisting of 7 members - all elected to the Swiss Parliament. They take it in turns to be the President of the Federal Council for one year and that is as close as Switzerland comes to having a head of state. If you are on the Federal Council long enough you can be President of the Federal Council more than once. It works for Switzerland.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

I didn't know that. That seems a very good system to me. I always felt Switzerland was a sensible country.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The new king has had an egg thrown at him this is the second time now. The old queen didn't have this sort of bother did she. The price and rarity of eggs in shops these days people should keep them to eat and not waste throwing at kings. The king has servants to wash his clothes and a big wardrobe of spare clothes anyway so it isn't much bother to king himself just making his staff lives harder than they already are.

The crown has been sneaked away from its museum place in the tower so they can make it fit the new kings head.