Where do we all live?

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Fossy, these pics are BEAUTIFUL!!! It's like a winter wonderland there! Thank you so much for sharing!! :love
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

TRavine wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:17 pm Fossy, these pics are BEAUTIFUL!!! It's like a winter wonderland there! Thank you so much for sharing!! :love
Thank you, Tom. It's really like that. We usually have very much show, but next week promises a thaw and that's not so cool. I hope that snow don't thaw so much and will be enough for Christmas! :up :snowing :xmas_hat
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

"Well, I'm back," she said.

It turns out we had to come home early from her holiday because my daughter is running a fever, and it's much better feeling sick in your very own bed. Such is life etc
mimosa wrote: Have a lovely trip...it's summer for you.
Yes, it's very much summer. We were in Hawkes Bay, which is where I grew up, and the summers are very hot and dry (great for orchards and vineyards.)

This is Te Mata Peak, the local mountain/lookout point. The legend is that Te Mata was a giant who tried to bite his way through a massive ridge line and choked on all the earth. If I were giving a formal greeting in Te Reo Maori (a pepeha), I would start it by saying "Ko Te Mata tōku maunga" (Te Mata is my mountain.) You always put your mountain first because it shelters you and it's the first landmark you see if you're travelling there.
20221229_171137.jpg
Te Mata again, at 5am, when my daughter woke me up with a fever. It actually looked even prettier, my phone camera wasn't up to showing all the golden light.
20221229_050958.jpg
Marine Parade in Napier.
20221229_104603.jpg
And a playground in Pahiatua on our way home. Honestly, most of our holiday photos are a series of "interesting playgrounds we have visited"
20221230_113358.jpg
(she/her)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

that's really cool, Daisy. Sorry that your daughter is not feeling well. I always think it's bizarre to be able to be sick, especially with a fever in the summer.

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Those pics look lovely, Daisy! So sorry to hear that your daughter is not feeling well. I hope you had a few nice days. We're glad to have you back at any rate- ;)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:26 am "Well, I'm back," she said.

It turns out we had to come home early from her holiday because my daughter is running a fever, and it's much better feeling sick in your very own bed. Such is life etc
mimosa wrote: Have a lovely trip...it's summer for you.
Yes, it's very much summer. We were in Hawkes Bay, which is where I grew up, and the summers are very hot and dry (great for orchards and vineyards.)

This is Te Mata Peak, the local mountain/lookout point. The legend is that Te Mata was a giant who tried to bite his way through a massive ridge line and choked on all the earth. If I were giving a formal greeting in Te Reo Maori (a pepeha), I would start it by saying "Ko Te Mata tōku maunga" (Te Mata is my mountain.) You always put your mountain first because it shelters you and it's the first landmark you see if you're travelling there.
20221229_171137.jpg
Te Mata again, at 5am, when my daughter woke me up with a fever. It actually looked even prettier, my phone camera wasn't up to showing all the golden light.
20221229_050958.jpg
Marine Parade in Napier.
20221229_104603.jpg
And a playground in Pahiatua on our way home. Honestly, most of our holiday photos are a series of "interesting playgrounds we have visited"
20221230_113358.jpg
What a shame to cut your trip short ... These things do happen. Welcome back though and hoping your little love feels better soon
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxK5J140JWI

I thought you all might get a wee chuckle out of this. Enjoy some Kentucky oddities.
ForeverAutumn1
150 Posts
150 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by ForeverAutumn1 »

That’s so funny, Pippa! 😁 We have many place names with strange pronunciations here as well!

I’m so in awe of the beautiful places you all live in around the world! I feel like where I live is not nearly as exciting. Like Annabella I live in Texas, although I’m in the Dallas area. It’s pretty nice this time of year, but definitely wouldn’t recommend visiting during the worst of the summer heat! My family live in Chicago, and I’m considering a move up there at some point.

Here is a place I really like not too far from me, the Water Gardens in downtown Fort Worth (next to Dallas). It was featured in the 70s sci fi movie Logan’s Run. 😊
074747A7-5622-4F25-B9DD-7666F1A102CB.jpeg
🎵🌵 Humming a cactus tune...🎵🌵
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

LOL Pippa...I can't pronounce any of those! 😅🤣

Autumn, that is one beautiful picture of the Water Gardens! 😍
I've never been to Texas, but Chicago is beautiful (although very cold 😅).
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

What beautiful pictures, Daisy! I do hope your little-love feels better soon. It seems to have been a Christmas of sickness across the world.

Lovely to see those water gardens, Autumn! Nice to see you posting :hugs

Pippa :rofl

I don't know Fort Worth at all, but here's my fav Chicago pic, I've stayed there a few times as there is a main Amtrak jumping off point here for the cross-country trains which I love so much

cloudgate2.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

merry wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:08 am What beautiful pictures, Daisy! I do hope your little-love feels better soon. It seems to have been a Christmas of sickness across the world.
Yes, she's on the mend. Still sounding a bit like E.T. but getting some vim back into her life.
merry wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:08 am I don't know Fort Worth at all, but here's my fav Chicago pic, I've stayed there a few times as there is a main Amtrak jumping off point here for the cross-country trains which I love so much
That's a really distinctive sculpture!
(she/her)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

The hoarfrost was so gorgeous for a few days...here is a picture that my relative took. This one could go on a calendar. It's a pretty typical rural Alberta sort of photo. Not sure if she doctored up the white and red contrast, but I doubt it.

ME
Attachments
Louise's barn picture.jpg
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Oh Mim, that is beautiful!!! The red also reminds me of farmhouses in Sweden a bit. Is it still so cold where you are?

In Austria, we have about 15°C which is WARM! Feels like spring, but don't be mistaken. Winter will likely catch up with us in February.

Went on a New Year's hike with my mom near our house today. There is this mountain called Grillparz, where you have beautiful views over the alpine foothills and valleys in the area.

20230101_150817.jpg
20230101_152326.jpg
20230101_152154.jpg
20230101_160747.jpg
20230101_161747.jpg
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

mimosa wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:10 pm The hoarfrost was so gorgeous for a few days...here is a picture that my relative took. This one could go on a calendar. It's a pretty typical rural Alberta sort of photo. Not sure if she doctored up the white and red contrast, but I doubt it.
That does look like the kind of photo someone would put on a calendar or coffee table book. I once read an article about "why are barns painted red", and the short version was back in the 18th/19th C, you could make a relatively cheap paint out of iron oxide rich minerals that was also anti-fungal, but then the writer went onto this long discursion about, of course, every part of the country had a slightly different mix of minerals available, so the red colour changed depending on where you go, and thus, this was a fundamental Glory of the Universe. (It was quite a fun article.)

Tom, you have some beautiful views where you live, too.
(she/her)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

Those are so beautiful.

Mim, those red barns (how well I remember them from Farmville! such a beautiful game sigh) are sold over here in miniature form as 'garden sheds'. I would so love one!

That Chicago sculpture is 'Cloud Gate', a more beautiful name than what everyone actually calls it, which is 'the Bean.' :D

That's my daughter Helen/STPD standing in front of it, in the denim skirt.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by ColleenD »

I love all the pictures! Such beautiful places.

Here is another picture of the Kenai River where I live, starting to freeze. You can see a little bit of open water left.
Attachments
12-31-22 Kenai River.jpg
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

ColleenD wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:15 am I love all the pictures! Such beautiful places.

Here is another picture of the Kenai River where I live, starting to freeze. You can see a little bit of open water left.
Gosh, it must be so cold there! :snowing
But it does look beautiful and wintery. 😍😍😍
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

Colleen that's beautiful 😍
graceeliz

Where do we all live?

Post by graceeliz »

My dad is from Burnley, a mill town, and mam is local to where we now live. This is the view out over the Solway. The second photo was taken by a local when I was out riding and put on Facebook, and shows not just one of my ponies but the beauty of the light we get out here on the Northwest coast.
Attachments
IMG-20220918-WA0010.jpg
20221113_162158.jpg
Violently Enthusiastically Northern
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

Gracee these are gorgeous...🥰🥰🥰