Where do we all live?

DarkshireLass
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by DarkshireLass »

Vandraren wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:14 pm Gosh, I love everyones pictures!! It seems this winter we've all been quite lucky with snow in the northern hemisphere.

Magda, I simply love the landscape of the moors!
of course, I have carefully shown you pictures in the sunshine. Manchester is known as a very rainy part of England, and we, on the eastern side of the city, just where the air lifts up to cross the Pennines, get a lot more rain than Manchester does.
DarkshireLass
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by DarkshireLass »

Vandraren wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:14 pm Gosh, I love everyones pictures!! It seems this winter we've all been quite lucky with snow in the northern hemisphere.

Magda, I simply love the landscape of the moors!
of course, I have carefully shown you pictures in the sunshine. Manchester is known as a very rainy part of England, and we, on the eastern side of the city, just where the air lifts up to cross the Pennines, get a lot more rain than Manchester does.
Violet83
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Violet83 »

eccles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:34 pm How on earth did I miss this thread and all the wonderful winter photos?
In my part of England we get some snow most years but it doesn't usually last long and for photos you have to get up early before the sun melts it off the trees. Since this thread is called The Mill at Milton I thought I'd post a couple from The Mill at Willsbridge, which is a ten minute walk from my suburban home. They were taken ten years ago, and I got up early(ish) that day.
These photos are beautiful! How lovely that you can walk to this spot from your home!
Violet83
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Violet83 »

Vandraren wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:12 pm
Violet83 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:23 pm Everyone lives in such interesting places all over the world! This is so fun to browse your photos!

I live in New Hampshire, which is in the northeastern United States. Nothing too special to say about my town, but we have lots of nice parks, trails, and forests around us.

2016-11-01 16.08.28.jpg

Right now it's winter, so we have snow, ice, and cold. And skiing! (Tip your head for this photo...I can't figure out how to rotate it! :rofl ) (Rotated. Merry)

2023-01-22 14.14.21x.jpg

2015-08-08 10.00.13.jpg

In the summer, we like to drive to the coast, where there are beaches and beautiful towns and harbors on the Atlantic Ocean.

IMG_1790.JPG
New Hampshire looks wonderful!! I'd love to visit especially the northeastern coast of the US one day. Also Maine!
Maine is really beautiful - my summer photos are actually of places in Maine. Since NH has hardly any coastline, when we want the beach or harbor towns, we drive to Maine! :)
Violet83
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Violet83 »

TRavine wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:38 pm Another pic I took this past weekend. My hometown in the snow with the alpine foothills in the background.

And these I took this morning on my way to work. This is Vienna, near the river Danube and Danube Island (where I work).
The morning light in these Vienna photos is simply beautiful! I wish I lived somewhere I could walk to work....
Violet83
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Violet83 »

DarkshireLass wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:06 pm JAN 2024.jpg

the other day, coming up from the village - the monument is the war memorial

Previous pictures are: moors in summer and up on a Pennine road about a mile from the house, with ice
The moors are absolutely gorgeous!
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

anywhereis wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:53 pm I live in a tropical country so I've never experienced snow in my life. What I would give to make snow angels and make a snowman :snowing
I made a wee snow fellow on Monday before it all melted. Maybe I made it just for you, and am only now seeing this post. :grouphug
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
anywhereis
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by anywhereis »

Aww thank you! :love I wonder if I could make something of rain and sun :smug
Philipaholt wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:15 am
anywhereis wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:53 pm I live in a tropical country so I've never experienced snow in my life. What I would give to make snow angels and make a snowman :snowing
I made a wee snow fellow on Monday before it all melted. Maybe I made it just for you, and am only now seeing this post. :grouphug
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

anywhereis wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:21 am Aww thank you! :love I wonder if I could make something of rain and sun :smug
SANDCASTLES!!!

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

anywhereis wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:21 am Aww thank you! :love I wonder if I could make something of rain and sun :smug
POTTERY!!!
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
anywhereis
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by anywhereis »

IMG_1171.jpeg
May I present to you this fish-shaped…teapot?
IMG_1172.jpeg
This is a Javanese style pottery. It’s a staple in Indonesian households. I have these and I put it on my living room and put flowers there
IMG_1173.jpeg
This one’s my favorite :smug I think it’s used to store spices (like salt, pepper, etc)

Pottery is a common thing in here. It’s affordable, it can be used as many things and could also be an antique items
Philipaholt wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:17 pm

POTTERY!!!
Violet83
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Violet83 »

anywhereis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:06 am IMG_1171.jpeg
May I present to you this fish-shaped…teapot?

IMG_1172.jpeg
This is a Javanese style pottery. It’s a staple in Indonesian households. I have these and I put it on my living room and put flowers there

IMG_1173.jpeg
This one’s my favorite :smug I think it’s used to store spices (like salt, pepper, etc)

Pottery is a common thing in here. It’s affordable, it can be used as many things and could also be an antique items
Wow, these are lovely! They look like something in a museum!
Aliko

Where do we all live?

Post by Aliko »

Hi people !

I'm Alice and and I live in a very small, insignificant and absolutely unknown city called Paris :rofl

Though I'm French by birth, my mother is from Austria so I grew up in both French and German, and I happened to marry a half Spanish-half Montenegrin bloke (weird combination if you ask me : veeeery latin and veeeeery slavic at the same time, so quite intense ;) but I love him so :love )

And I'm really glad to enter this fandom with people from all around the globe :toast
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by eccles »

Hi Alice. Gosh, a quadrilingual (is that the term for four languages?) person. HF is getting very highbrow lately.
Paris? Never heard of it. :D
Photos pleeeeease?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Aliko

Where do we all live?

Post by Aliko »

TRavine wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:16 pm Oh, what a delightful topic!! :love
It's so interesting to learn where you all live!

I live in Austria - actually, I basically live in two places. I work in Vienna, where I live most of the time, in a shared flat, together with my sister. Vienna is a very historical place; it was the capital of the Habsburg Empire until the end of WWI and has plenty of historical buildings and interesting sights. It's also famous for its food and coffeehouses, and musicians such as Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn and Strauss.

18425_10205355844714600_3973717469076021145_n.jpg11081146_10205355834514345_3901627241028410383_n.jpg

We live pretty close to the centre of the city - the Ringstraße Boulevard is a good fifteen minute walk from our place, or three tram stops. In our street, there is a permanent, mostly Arabian, street market. Very multicultural.

46-148196012.jpg

On the weekends and on my days off, I often go home to Upper Austria (about two and a half hours from Vienna) where my parents live. They live in a middle-sized town at the Austrian Alpine Foothills, very idyllic. I love going for walks and hikes in the surrounding woods there. Thinking of moving back there permanently in a couple of years, but job opportunities are not as good as in the city.

DSC02810.JPG
DSC02567.JPG
How lovely ! I'm half autrian through my mother and know dear Vienna quite well (grüss mir mein Wien !!). Lots of cousins there. And my family has an estate in Niederösterreich, between Hohenberg and Sankt-Aegyd am Neuwalde. I spent all my childhood summers in those lovely mountains and woods, which a dear to my heart and a big part of who I am :love
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Aliko wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:55 pm
How lovely ! I'm half autrian through my mother and know dear Vienna quite well (grüss mir mein Wien !!). Lots of cousins there. And my family has an estate in Niederösterreich, between Hohenberg and Sankt-Aegyd am Neuwalde. I spent all my childhood summers in those lovely mountains and woods, which a dear to my heart and a big part of who I am :love
Oh what a lovely coincidence! ❤️🥰 Ich werde dir dein Wien grüßen. 😁😁 So maybe this is where both of our love for forests and nature originated. 😉 Do you sometimes still come to Austria?
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Violet83
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Violet83 »

Aliko wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:35 pm Hi people !

I'm Alice and and I live in a very small, insignificant and absolutely unknown city called Paris :rofl

Though I'm French by birth, my mother is from Austria so I grew up in both French and German, and I happened to marry a half Spanish-half Montenegrin bloke (weird combination if you ask me : veeeery latin and veeeeery slavic at the same time, so quite intense ;) but I love him so :love )

And I'm really glad to enter this fandom with people from all around the globe :toast
Oh my, how European to have so many countries/languages in your history and family. That's wonderful. (Trying to imagine the very latin and very slavic combination is making me smile!) Share some photos of Paris, please! :)
Aliko

Where do we all live?

Post by Aliko »

TRavine wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:38 pm
Aliko wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:55 pm
Oh what a lovely coincidence! ❤️🥰 Ich werde dir dein Wien grüßen. 😁😁 So maybe this is where both of our love for forests and nature originated. 😉 Do you sometimes still come to Austria?
Yes sometimes ! Not so often now though... last time was in 2021. But I keep in touch closely with my family there.
And you are right, I am convinced that my love for nature comes from my childhood time there. I never could get to love the see like I love the mountains and forests. There is nothing like the green of an austrian landscape. Nothing.
So much beauty, freedom and love from my big family, it was wonderful growing up there, even only in the summer ! I still love to go there of course, though it has lost a bit of its magic (the kind of magic you only experience as a child of course...)
You could say Austria is my Helstone 😉 I feel deeply rooted in this country and culture.

And the grandfather I talked to you about in one of my comments, the one who was a gamekeeper, was of course my austrian Großpapa... his name was Franz, he was a very quiet and kind man with the most fervent love for his wife and always in deepest communion with nature, and I loved him dearly. So you see now why your gamekeeper-John feels like family to me !!

It would be good fun to meet one day next time I am in Vienna !
Last edited by Aliko on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aliko

Where do we all live?

Post by Aliko »

eccles wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:41 pm Hi Alice. Gosh, a quadrilingual (is that the term for four languages?) person. HF is getting very highbrow lately.
Paris? Never heard of it. :D
Photos pleeeeease?
I'm trying to post some photos but it's not working... 😞 how do you people do that ?
Aliko

Where do we all live?

Post by Aliko »

Violet83 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:50 pm
Aliko wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:35 pm Hi people !

Oh my, how European to have so many countries/languages in your history and family. That's wonderful. (Trying to imagine the very latin and very slavic combination is making me smile!) Share some photos of Paris, please! :)
I can assure you it's not easy everyday, he's quite a handful 😆 but hey, I chose him... and so far it's a good catch !! 😉

Could you tell me how I can post photos here ? I seem incapable of it...