Where do we all live?

MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by MyWatchBegins »

Dracula's Castle (not really, shhh, don't tell anybody)
DSC_0093_1 (1).JPG
Castle Couryard - definitely invader proof, they'd just get lost in the myriad entries, corridors and pathways. If they didn't pass out from the climb. Bad pictures, don't do it justice, it's really cute and has spooky vibes.
DSC_0085_4 (1).JPG
See? Spooky
DSC_0084_1.JPG
I live close to this here church, right behind street corner where this pic was taken from. Magnolias in bloom now, but I've been down with a bad back, so haven't gone out to take pictures this year.
Biserica-Sf-Treime-Craiova.-Fotograf-Adrian-Tirsogoiu.jpg
Craiova - Romania - from some pro found on google
craiova.jpg
Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for the nice pictures. The sunrise!

Stupid early! Ha!! That's awesome. It's nice to someone else who says it too. (Or stupid late, as the case would be.)

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Oh wow, Roxana, these pictures are stunning!! 😍 Romania is a beautiful country indeed! And very historical too, I reckon!

I know what you mean about communism leaving its marks. Same in Czech republic where part of my family stems from (the formerly German speaking part) and also Slovakia and parts of Hungary, not to mention Eastern Germany. It's a pity really.

Are you going to watch the Song Contest this year? I haven't for some years but am considering it this year. Austria usually doesn't make the final, lol.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by MyWatchBegins »

Glad you liked the pics, I'm rather bad at taking them, took some effort to find something not blurry being recognition.
I might give the Eurovision a go, again. We got a bit upset last year, because they cancelled our votes, basically called us bots. But that is the joy of living in Europe, where neighbouring countries definitely don't hate each other and a music competition is definitely, 100% not political. :rofl
So maybe Eurovision party? Just so I can watch my dad scream his head off at the TV and relive the injustice of our amaaazing people not ever being recognized for being the founders of humanity. :rofl Joke, btw, a stereotipical Romanian, always complaining about smth.
Waddayamean Austria never reaches the final??? Conchita won with that absolutely beautiful song, Rise Like A Phoenix, it's still in my playlist today, together with Euphoria by Loreen (Sweden) and Kristian Kostov - Beautiful Mess (Bulgaria). Voted so hard for that little Bulgarian kid, only for the Portuguese cafe concert nobody ever listened to again to win. Took a 4 year break after that, I was hyped for Sofia, it's 3-4 hours from here by car, was planning to go see it live. Oh well.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by dianakc »

Tim, Roxana and Fossy all have me fired up for Eurovision now!
Here is the beach from my walk this morning. Easter holidays and not a soul in sight 🤔
Attachments
20230411_104912.jpg
MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by MyWatchBegins »

Absolutely stunning photo and scenery! Best way to walk on a beach, when nobody is around! Lucky you!
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Oh Diana, that beach is lovely!!! 🥰🥰

Gosh, we should do a Eurovisioun group-watchparty on discord, what do you think??

And you are right, Roxana, we DID win in 2014. It was the second time after our only other win in the 60s. 🤣 And I think we have not qualified for the finals ever since - but I could be wrong for I didn't really follow it in the past few years.

I remember when we won and everyone was like: "Oh yayyyy!!! Oh wait!!! Oh nooo...we need a venue to host that and where do we get the money for that?" 🤣🤣🤣

They managed to rebuild the old concert hall whoch is a 15 minute walk from my apartment. I actually went to see the rehearsals which was pretty cool.

And Conchita is pretty amazing. Actually met her once. Still have a picture. That's me in black, on the left.

Screenshot_20230411_222611_WhatsApp.jpg
Last edited by TRavine on Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Oh and since this kind of fits with "Where do we all live" and this is a very Austrian thing, here is Conchita doing a song from "The Sound of Music" - the Musical about Austria that most Austrians have never heard of. 🤣

merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

Wow, what absolutely beautiful pictures everyone has posted! Thank you so much! they gave me such a lift tonight :grouphug

I am a total nerd too, Roxana, and used to spend hours every day and night down in a Multi User Dungeon (Mystical Mud.) It was text-only but not disadvantaged by this in any way - I can actually remember what 'Camelot' and 'Grendel's lair' etc LOOKED like, because they were imagined inside my own head as we played :) I really miss it and still play some D&D type games, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate etc.

All that has fallen by the wayside a bit with N&S but I seem to have writer's block since finishing my last story :sob so maybe I'll be getting back to them soon!

You are most very welcome here and we LIKE people who chat a lot :D
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

I remember when we won and everyone was like: "Oh yayyyy!!! Oh wait!!! Oh nooo...we need a venue to host that and where do we get the money for that?" 🤣🤣🤣
Tom :rofl

Fossy, thank you so much for posting about the board chats, such useful info in there and so nicely explained! you are a treasure, you really are :hug
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

These pictures are fantastic.....Roxy, Diana, you make me want to run away to your corner of the world.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

MyWatchBegins wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:44 pm So maybe Eurovision party?
TRavine wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:32 pm Gosh, we should do a Eurovisioun group-watchparty on discord, what do you think??
Why not? I'm in.😃 I'm #NorthandSouthArt30#0092 in Discord, Roxan! :up

Wonderful pic, Tom. You're almost unrecognizable there, really! :lol
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by MyWatchBegins »

Tom, you're so cute/handsome! And young!
But just look at Conchita, so elegant while simply standing there! Love her voice and presence and that dress she wore on stage was gorgeous!
@Fossy - gotcha, #NorthandSouthArt30#0092 on discord. I think I sent a friend request? Not sure, haven't used it in probably two years, so NO clue how to get back into it. I'm Rocsanna#7531 on discord, in case anybody else wants to add me.
You're on for the Eurovision watch party. Should be fun!
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

MyWatchBegins wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:57 am @Fossy - gotcha, #NorthandSouthArt30#0092 on discord. I think I sent a friend request? Not sure, haven't used it in probably two years, so NO clue how to get back into it.
Yes, you send and I already accepted it. It's ok. I also and still can't figure out how to use Discord in full. Still learning it! :lol
MyWatchBegins wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:57 am You're on for the Eurovision watch party. Should be fun!
Thank you! 🥰
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

Wonderful pic, Tom. You're almost unrecognizable there, really!
🤣🤣 I look VERY different without my glasses and (sorry excuse of a) beard! And also, I'm old now. 😉🤣
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by OurCreature »

In 1999 Iceland nearly won the Eurovision Song Contest. It was held in Jerusalem and Selma from Iceland was the bookies' favourite. Back in Reykjavík before the contest the owner of a shop selling television sets had promised that if Selma won every TV bought from him that week would have its price refunded by him to the lucky owners.

Selma raced into an early lead, but then was gradually pegged back by Charlotte from Sweden. Iceland's hopes were finally dashed - and the TV shop owner's bank balance saved - when Bosnia and Herzegovina awarded top marks to Sweden and no points to Iceland. Selma ended as runner-up and IIRC received a heroine's welcome when she returned home to Iceland.

This isn't the only time Iceland came second; Jóhanna did it in 2009 in Moscow. Here she is!
johanna-iceland.jpg
This contest took place when the Icelandic economy was in meltdown due to the global financial crisis; at the time on the old defunct board Chaircat Midge commented that things were so bad in Iceland that poor Jóhanna had been reduced to making her dress out of old copies of Morgunblaðið, the biggest selling daily newspaper in Iceland.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

And also, I'm old now. 😉🤣
:D :rofl

These days when I look in the mirror I'm beginning to see Granny Weatherwax :eek :devil

OC, I love the Chaircat's newspaper story! :loveeyes
anywhereis
50 Posts
50 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by anywhereis »

Hello, everyone!

I live in a city called Medan in Indonesia. We’re known for its food and being the worst drivers in the country (including me)
I’m sorry I don’t have any interesting photos to show about my city because mostly it’s just houses, offices, malls etc.

I think refreshing places to visit near me is a volcano which is a 2 hour drive away that erupts every few months or a lake which has an island on it (it’s called Lake Toba) which is 4 hour drive away. The weather here is either sunny or rainy. And no, we don’t have a beach, the nearest beach is 4 hours flight away 🥲

Looking forward to getting know about you guys!
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

Hello, Any! lovely to read all about you.... I'm pretty sure you're our first member from Indonesia! wonderful!

I have always been fascinated by volcanoes ever since.... well Pompeii, really!

I'd love to have some indonesian food. What are some traditional dishes? (I'm from England... sorry... our food is tragic but we keep on eating it)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

anywhereis wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:19 pm Hello, everyone!

I live in a city called Medan in Indonesia. We’re known for its food and being the worst drivers in the country (including me)
I’m sorry I don’t have any interesting photos to show about my city because mostly it’s just houses, offices, malls etc.

I think refreshing places to visit near me is a volcano which is a 2 hour drive away that erupts every few months or a lake which has an island on it (it’s called Lake Toba) which is 4 hour drive away. The weather here is either sunny or rainy. And no, we don’t have a beach, the nearest beach is 4 hours flight away 🥲

Looking forward to getting know about you guys!
WOW!! Cool!! Now DaisyNinjaGirl has a someone on her end of the world.

ME