Energy price hikes - how much for YOU

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The energy price cap is going up to share out all the bad debts from people who haven't paid. Pre pay meters are exempt. I knew this would happen. Obviously tough times and bad debts would go up but people in debts used to be forced on pre pay if this happened which at least forced them to stop running up even more debts. Now the government has banned pre pay meters for all the people covered by the vulnerable categories (this is a very long list of reasons these days) people know they can use as much energy as they like and nothing at all can be done so obviously bad debts have rocketed.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

If pre payment meters used a similar tariff to the standard it would be much better. They are absolutely exorbitant! It makes no sense to put people in debt onto a system which doesn’t help them and charges much more.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It's more because they take some money towards the debts as well as for power used so I suppose they could change that and just take for power. But the alternative ways to recover debts are taking peoples things away and originally using pre pay meter was seen as a better idea. Also because of standing charges so if you use nothing for days when have no money to top-up when you start again it takes all the waiting standing charges in one go before you get any electric from the top-up money. The unit costs aren't more than price cap it used to be bit more to cover extra running costs but that was stopped and ordinary bills went up a bit to subsidize pre pay.

It used to be the case that unless people has really well paid jobs they couldn't afford to be heating whole house. It was my childhood and I expect most readers. We weren't the poorest of the poor. We had pre pay for gas because it was in the house when we moved. All council houses and smaller terraced had them in those days. Even though we had money it got full of florins and we had to manage without until half term as I couldn't take a day off school to deal with the gas man. I do accept it's different now because people can't live without electricity and internet but they need to find a way to give people a basic survival amount for free and prevent them from having any more if they won't ever pay up.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It's the time of year to send a reading as prices change on 1 Jan and if you don't companies will wrongly estimate to make you pay more.

I am pleased because I rang the electric and they have a message saying all off for Xmas but then says press 1 for meters 2 to pay. I pressed 1 and it asked me to pay so I hung up. I then cleverly rang back and pressed 2 and it let me enter the reading.

I can't do the gas because it's still the same whole number as my last reading and they don't allow fractions although they do use then in billing estimates so I don't know why. So I will leave that and hope for best can't do much else. I wish they would put it back to changing 6 months only 3 months isn't long enough to catch up after a massive overestimate and you can't do a reading that isn't more than your last one but every 3 months it's more on top of more. This was how I got in my mess last time and I think merry had similar problems.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Energy prices are dropping 13% in April just as people wont need heating on. Standing charges are going up 13% to pay for the bills of other people who don't pay now that pre pay meters can't be installed to make them pay. Some companies are being allowed to install pre pay again but only for customers who can't tick any of the preferred vulnerable boxes and not British gas who were the ones caught by undercovers.

The price cap is being raised or falling every three months now so it's not that much of a cap. Even people that get pay rises only get yearly rises so it seems unfair to keep changing bills every three months. Other bills don't do this do they even evil telecoms who put more than inflation is just once a year.