Energy price hikes - how much for YOU

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

All will be well though because jacob Rees Mogg said he is going to increase the strength the earthquake has to be before they must stop so they can get more done.

That really made me laugh :rofl the way Furby put it, not the idea!

We were doing our gas/elec admin this morning.

We pay EON monthly (no DD) and this month it was £110, considerably up from the £40-60 it usually is. But we have used far less elec in general this year - 4000 kwh from March to Sept 2021, 2300 KWH March to Sept 2022. I know this is because of my new air fryer habit, and hardly ever putting on the Big Oven.

Re gas: (DD) - it has been £60 a month for a long time, and we are £150 in credit. HOWever, they plan to put the DD up to £140 a month. That seems a big increase esp as we are in credit. Must keep an eye on that.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

My gas went up more than double even though it's only hot water now. Maybe gas were factoring in the huge expected rises which are likely to be higher for gas especially is the price of electricity has its rules changed instead of being set at three times the price of gas or something.

Isn't it dearer not to pay direct debit and every little percentage matters in these times.

I posted this or similar before and it disappeared so if my rantinga turn up in the secret hidden cancelled spy forum that's why.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

My electric bill is down to lower than before it all started going up. I can't see how this doesn't mean I won't get into debt because the 400 pounds was to help with last times increase wasn't it and it's gone up a bit on that in October. I can't cope with ringing them so will just see what happens. I wish there was a easy way to just pay lump sums. I did do this years ago when I rang them so it's possible but they though they took my money they didn't understand and kept sending me stuff about going on the vulnerable person register which I don't qualify for. I had the flu really badly that time and kept the electric heaters on 24 7 for three weeks so was a huge bill that time. Their algorithms would have had me paying huge monthly bills for next two years if i hadn't rung. This time it's just the prices my usage is quite stable so they should be able to work it out.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I've noticed something a little weird on my new bill - my daytime electricity has gone up about 30% but my night time rate has gone up only 10%. It used to be that daytime was 2.5x night time but now it's over 3x. Maybe time to go back to storage heaters...
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I saw this posted on Twitter and thought it might be useful.
Attachments
3212C726-141D-46A8-882A-633787308124.jpeg
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

That's handy but i doubt it's sums.

How gas central heating be so dear and dearer than plug in electric heaters. I have often been told I should get central heating because it's cheaper. I never have because of the disruption and where I would live and store my things while it was being done. So if electric heaters are really cheaper happy with that.

And a vacuum cleaner is very dear to run no way that's only 7p.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I think you need to consider the time (and the power). Gas central heating useage will be for a whole house and is over a 6 hour period. The electric heater is just for an hour. At 68p, that will be a 2kW heater in a room.

Dunno about the vacuum cleaner. 😜
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I put the heating on for the first time today. My sister and her husband are round for dinner tonight. I might not need a jumper!
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Patience is very kind to put heating on for visitors. Can't you just say I am not cold if they sit there shivering that's what my mum used to do. They will soon learn to turn up wearing jumpers.

I put my heater on too. Because I had the door open ready for Tesco and they were late the temperature dropped from 17 to 14. So now I am shut up again behind velvet door curtains i need to get back up as it won't warm itself.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I agree Furby, that vacuum cleaner figure is nonsense. The average vacuum cleaner is around 1.5 kW which would make the running cost 50p per hour, not 7p. The one that came as a litle bit of a shock to me was the frdge freezer cost - I have an American style fridge and freezer each of which is the size of a fridge freezer so I'm guessing the two will be around 80p per day to run or £25 per month.

The builders have just finished my new conservatory, replacing the 40 years old one and it has made a massive diferrence to how warm my lounge/dining room is. It's interesting noticing the changes in building regulations over the last 40 years - the old double glazing had 6mm between panes, the new has 15mm; the old wall insulation was 50mm, the new is 150mm; the old polycarbonate roof is just not permitted these days and according to the spec my new roof insulates around 10 times better. The lounge opens directly into the conservatory so the improved thermal efficiency directly impacts where I spend 90% of my time and the difference is really noticeable.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Very glad your new conservatory is worth all the upheaval.
I had to work from home today. The heating is broken in the office and yesterday the light switch fell apart. Hopefully the lights will be fixed in a couple of days. The heating will take longer.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I wonder if more firms will have heating that breaks down this winter so staff have to work from home paying for their own heating.

My fridge freezer is a free standing small one with a fridge and a two shelf freezer on top. I have taken the shelf out as I fit more in one whole space and boxed foods always seem the wrong size. It does get warm on the outside which helps to heat the kitchen so maybe more fridges should not be built in and wasting their heater properties.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The energy guarantee that was supposed to be for 2 years is now only 6 months until April 2023.

After that they are going to target help to the most vulnerable and it's not yet explained how these people will be chosen. The UK doesn't have a system of means testing apart from those qualify for universal credit. That was why rishi sunak had to use council tax for one his schemes. Even for people on universal credit unless you have a few children the income levels to claim are very low and wouldn't be enough to pay energy bills as they previously were never mind now or in April.

People who gave up their fixes to move to governments 2 year price cap will be very cross.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I didn't give up my fixed price contract but it runs out next June anyway. IIRC the council tax banding was used for the £400 refund scheme; my former car-share friend didn't qualify because he and his wife live in a Band F property and the cut-off (I think) was Band D.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I have made some curtain liners with other curtains. Should be as warm as bought liners. Some still leaks at the top might need to rig something up for that wonder how they did blackout in the war I can see light from outside.

My bills have been put down to lower than before the bills started going up which doesn't make sense. But it's how they did the bills for a long time anyway I under pay and run up debts and then they charge fortunes and I overpay. It's on my nerves really but they charge extra to just pay as you go. I am being extra careful but I was always careful anyway so it shouldnt really be lower than before and should be more units because of the new electric hob. The gas which is only hot water now seems to be using a bit more so that doesn't make sense either maybe they reduced the gas strength. Gas isn't so much a unit it's times a calorie factor which is whatever they decide it is.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I have made some curtain liners with other curtains. Should be as warm as bought liners.
You are clever. I am hopeless at needlework, my mother tried to teach me but I disappointed her :oops

I am keeping an eye on what we use both with elec and gas. Elec bills have gone down (govt subsidy) but gas want to put up our DD to FOUR TIMES what it used to be, despite us using only 5/8 of the gas compared to this time last year. Ironically when I went to check our account yesterday they themselves said we were paying too much, and suggested £20 less, to £150 a month which seems huge considering we are hardly using any gas at all, only for a once a day hour of hot water (which lasts two showers and any washing up, though we don't do much as have a dishwasher.)

Helen called up the elec. people to ask for her DD to come down from what they have put it up to, as like us she is in credit by about £200. They replied that their policy is that customers must be two months in advance credit at all times. :huh when did this come in?!

We haven't needed the heating on much so far, but Mr M feels the cold so I bought two ceramic fan electric heaters for £44 each from amazon, and he puts them on for a burst when he feels cold. He doesn't keep it on long so I'm thinking they will be reasonably economical (more so than having the central heating on) .

Also I bought a new calor gas heater (£144) for downstairs where the rooms are big with wooden floors and a little ceramic heater would go nowhere. As I think I posted elsewhere, they come with no calor gas cylinder and if you don't have an empty one to trade there are none left in the country. We had a half-used one which we've attached to the new heater.

They are very efficient and very cheap to run (£35.99 a cylinder, which lasts months and months) but you have to be careful of CO poisoning so I've had to order a proper CO monitor (not the strips) from ASDA, which didn't come! Will order another asap from Amazon.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Merry, I would advise you not to get a sealed-for-life CO monitor. My plumber "gave" me one that was supposed to have a 7 year battery life and you couldn't change the battery. When I say he "gave" it to me he added it to the bill for servicing my boiler but it wasn't much. After a year or two it became temperamental until one day the alarm went off and there was no way to stop it. The stop button failed to work and I couldn't take the battery out. I ended up taking the back off with a screwdriver with the damn alarm beeping away and cutting the wires to the battery which were soldered in place. I found the device still being sold online and in feedback for it there was one user who took a sledgehammer to his device in order to shut it up.
I now have this one, which has replaceable standard AA batteries.
hommie-battery-co2-monitor-294854522.jpg
Battery life was suggested to be five years. I got it in 2018 and the batteries are showing at half power so it's looking about right.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I didn't do any sewing I have old style curtains with hooks so I just put more hooks and hooked the other curtains to the back of my best front curtains all of which are real velvet made for me by my mum are lined with cotton anyway.

Good idea to get a carbon monoxide alarm we don't want merry being poisoned. I have one in the living room from when I had the gas fire and I thought I had high levels until I realised it was the temperature. With all the worries about green planets etc they really shouldnt be allowed to make sealed things but I suppose it was to stop people takingn batteries out to shut them up.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

In Scotland legislation came into force that all homes had to have https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire ... ish-homes/ interlinked fire alarms which included a CO2 CO detector (thanks for the correction, @Eccles) in rooms with gas appliances. They are all sealed units and I have no idea of the compliance rate. To buy the bits cost a few hundred pounds.
Last edited by Patience on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

That's very interesting, Patience; I skimmed through the regulations and I see they have been in operation since February 2022, and that they were already in force for private landlords.

For those buying their homes or who already own them I would have thought compliance would be sensible as I am sure that if your home suffered fire damage and you had not installed these alarms etc the insurance companies would not pay your claim.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.