Getting Food in the time of Corona, Brexit and War

Chat about anything and everything
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I wondered that about the inflation too especially as its on rishis 5 promises list. Maybe its a small percentage weighting in the basket apart from in alcoholics baskets that it won't make a big difference.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I did my weekly shop at Morrisons today, having remembered to turn 20,000 points (I earned 17k of them for exceeding £45 re my weekly shop in 4 weeks out of 6) into Fivers, so that meant I had £20 knocked off the bill.

I was quite pleased with that. However I noted that petrol there is £1.56 a litre; I don't need any petrol for a few weeks but I doubt if I shall buy any at Morrisons when there are cheaper filling stations on various of my regular routes.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Ohhh that was quite a decent chunk knocked off your bill, OC!

I had £46 in Tesco vouchers (we get quite a decent amount since we started using a Tesco credit card to pay for everything) but i converted it to triple points on the last day of triple points, to use on Burnt City tickets.

So, I got £178 of credit, but minus the £46 I had lost on grocery vouchers, was still a really decent £132 'free', though obviously the points exchange is only useful if there's something you actually want. It's usually 'days out for the family' or 'paragliding lessons' or whatever, but theatre tickets is one of the options.

I don't think there is any 'cheap' fuel round here though it does vary by a few pence per litre, which mounts up.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Charging extra for fuel doesn't make sense really because it might work for food with people like myself who would pay extra rather than travel far away costing bus fares but with petrol every customer has their own transport obviously so will only get people who run out of fuel.

Paragliding lessons indeed. I have noticed offers on many things are such silly things with conditions like signing up to nonsense so I just ignore offers and buy what I need and forget about bonuses. I have some Morrison vouchers I got from my work as a prize I forgot about and then it was lockdown so I didn't go. They don't have a expiry date on but I tried and they say invalid so have lost 30 pounds there.
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I always buy petrol at Costco now - it's generally about 6p a litre less than supermarkets and 12p less than the petrol stations. Right now it's 137p/l compared with the local Shell garage at 149p a litre. Petrol always seems more expensive in our area. The shocker for us on our visit to Sainsbury this week was that we'd finally run out of duty free cigarettes so we bought a carton of 10 packs which was £115 - twice as much as our shopping! Fortunately our friends all seem to be on holiday and we have three trips booked in the next 3 months so at least these are the only UK cigarettes we will have to buy this year. A duty free carton is £25-35 (except at UK airports) and in most of Europe even duty paid cartons are about £40 so it just makes no sense to buy them here. It does also explain why tobaccco smuggling has increased 1,000% in 10 years!
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The news keep saying smoking is decreasing but I would guess most serious smokers are smoking illegal cigarettes if they can't afford enough holidays to live off duty free like wildrovers so it probably isn't . Vaping is much more popular I can smell them soon as I open my door and wasn't that bad with tobacco.

Its time to start stocking up for Christmas if don't buy a tin of biscuits in October there aren't any. They seem to have stopped tins now though it's plain boxes. And before we know it will be gettng up at 5am to book delivery slots. I don't even need Xmas food but need the slots because even pre COVID i didn't like any shops in December.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

My chosen chocolately biscuits both plain and milk versions are already out of stock. I know they were here in stock already as I got some for birthday.

Stock control has really gone downhill hasnt it. Its all very well getting the xmas slots but is likely lots will be out of stock so need to stock up long life things just in case. Last year they brought me turkey mince instead of turkey piece so I had to have my frozen chicken piece for dinner if I hadnt would have been no dinner. The driver was a bit annoyed I sent it back ( they had sent me two packs of mince to replace one turkey piece so a good bargain had I wanted it or had room in freezer for it he said you dont want either of them in a disappointed tone) but who wants mince for xmas dinner only people with no teeth.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I have put my order on next week and tesco have discontinued own brand baked beans. Not out of stock says no longer supplied.

They just have the half tins which defeats purpose of cheaper beans as half tins are dearer per bean. I got Heinz beans for this week which I have anyway for on toast but use the cheaper ones in stews and less essential to taste purposes. I do have my stocks and was just replenishing so maybe they will be undiscontinued by when my cupboards run out.

Seems a very strange thing for Tesco to stop selling baked beans must be a popular item mustn't they.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The baked beans are back now don't know what Tesco is up to.

I used to work on a stock control system and we did have a flag to stop people ordering things without discontinuing them fully so maybe it's like that but unsure why beans would be targeted.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Good to know they're not has beans.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

eccles wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:31 am Good to know they're not has beans.
I’ll get your coat. 😜
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

:rofl Patience and Eccs
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Sainsbury's has broken today and online orders not being sent also can't accept electric money in stores so it's cash only. This has made the news but I am surprised doesn't happen more often because smart everything is fine while it works but one day there's just nothing. This is on top of people not able to buy McDonald's yesterday for similar reasons.

When I was at work we had to have a plan for what to do if the electric went off and there was much less online then it was more coping without computers and if we could open the doors that sort of thing. I have a certificate somewhere furby can open a door true story. They don't seem to bother planning and training these days because the shops weren't ready with any plans. The only possible plan really in internet age is shutting entire shops down but they don't seem to have even warned customers at doors it's cash only.

Hasn't been on the news yet but I am waiting for the story about they ran out of change at Sainsbury's has to happen doesnt it. Most places wont have any banks to nip out and get more if there are any staff left who even know how to go to a bank and get change. If it's like my bank in market town they won't do counter cash on Saturdays anyway even if they are there and open.

People are not going to starve because one supermarket is closed one saturday are they. Things were much worse in lockdown no deliveries for weeks and those you did get being cancelled. . But this story seems big news maybe there is more to it not yet being told.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Fast food chain Gregg's is the latest to follow Sainsbury's, Tesco and McDonald's with IT outages. Furby's warnings are coming true. We're doomed.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Gregg's seems a worse problem than even Sainsbury's because it was the tills and werent even taking cash.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

There are no normal onions in Tesco and I had to buy some fancy pink onions. I've never seen a pink onion. But I may like it better than a normal onion.

Tesco seem to have sold out of easter eggs so I had to buy Mr Merry a box of Black Magic instead. He will be ok with this.

I did like the look of their 'Tesco Simnel Cake Bar' clubcard price £3 so I hope they bring that.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I think there must be a shortage of onions. I used to get the saver onions which were little ones and I preferred them because for me on my own can cook one onion at a time. I havd had to buy big onions for a while but last time had to get red onions. Never seen or heard of pink onions.

I think they remove the Easter eggs from online sale in Easter week and just sell in the shops it's too much trouble being out of stock of preferred ones and pickers having to choose replacements and people not being happy.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I think they remove the Easter eggs from online sale in Easter week and just sell in the shops it's too much trouble being out of stock of preferred ones and pickers having to choose replacements and people not being happy.
I never thought of that! :up

Have you noticed how small things are getting. Obviously they don't want to raise prices as much as they'd really like to so they cut down the sizes and hope we won't notice. I got a pack of Anchor butter the other day because it was the same prices as own-brand and then i noticed it was only 200g instead of the usual 250.

The one in the middle is the modern one. Right is the tub from 2 years ago. Left is the one from several years ago. The tiny pink thing in front is a massively shrunk mini-battenburg. Mr M said they should rename them micro-battenburgs. It is literally only like 2 inches long!

I wonder if this stealth shrinking will have an effect on the nation's obesity crisis!
Attachments
celebrats.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Shrinkflation is popping up everywhere. The next time you buy a 400g can of anything, check the weight - it'll most likely be 392g. Heinz Beans has always been 420g, but not any more, they're 415g.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

In the olden days it was a pound weight which is 453g

My ancestral quality street tin is 6lbs compared to today's tubs which are less than 1kg/2lb.