Getting Food in the time of Corona, Brexit and War

Chat about anything and everything
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I read that on average, UK food prices are currently lower than those in the EU.

Competition is still active - when Sainsbury's cut the price of bread recently, Aldi and Lidl followed suit, then soon after came Morrison's and Tesco. I noticed that my online shop for delivery tomorrow has the reduced price as well so Asda has finally caught up.

@OC, that's the trouble with hybrid cars isn't it. It take so long for the fuel tank to empty. :D
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

@OC, that's the trouble with hybrid cars isn't it. It take so long for the fuel tank to empty.
Very true Eccs - usually I only have to fill the tank once a month...........not driving very much helps as well................
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

The vindaloo was too hot in the end! I do keep a few tins of ASDA curry in (Madras and another one) but I tend to buy their fresh or frozen curries now - especially the Butter Chicken - more expensive but sooooo good!
Even own brands are made for them by other brands which was why in covid lockdowns own brands all but disappeared brands made their own things first
That's really interesting, I hadn't thought of that before.

I am a bit fed up with prices going up, it does seem to be weekly at the moment. They're going to squeeze us like a lemon till we pop, aren't they :ohwell
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Asda seems to have sorted its own brand tinned curry shortages and they have a full range again. IMO they are every bit as good as the chilled range with the added advantage that they last almost indefinitely in the cupboard. If the vindaloo is too hot for you, try the jalfrezi, still quite hot but lacks the fire of the vindaloo. On a reducing hotness scale the varieties are vindaloo, jalfrezi, madrass, balti, tikka, korma. I have never seen the range or anything like them offered by an independent brand.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Morrisons are bringing back the old points scheme ending in free fivers. It had been replaced by a new system giving personalised offers. The new scheme is not quite the old system which was points on everything you buy except some exceptions like stamps and the new system is only points on petrol and their choice of things. What seems to have happened is they have researched what does furby hardly ever buy and put points on those things so could be a long time until I earn enough for a fiver.
1,000 points for every £10 spent on flowers and indoor plants.
- 600 points for every £6 spent at a Morrisons Café in store.
- 500 points for every £5 spent on BBQ meat.
- 500 points for every £5 spent at a Morrisons pizza counter.
- 400 points for every £4 spent at a Morrisons Deli counter and Deli Express.
- 100 points for every pack of Jersey Royals bought.
- 100 points for every pack of rhubarb bought.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

These Morrisons points rewards have gone out the window so far as I'm concerned. The scheme they had for 2022 was good and saved me £60 whereas in previous years I never got more than 2 vouchers for £5 off. This year I got a £12 discount for spending more than £30 for the requisite number of weeks, but apart from that only 1 personalised offer of 10% on a packet of fresh veg.

Just as well I shop at Morrisons for the convenience of their location and because I like quite a lot of their food. The rewards/points/personalised offers are a bonus, nothing more.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Its that time of year for shortages again.

I had to order luxury eggs as no other eggs at all on the website but at least I got those as ordered. I had to order different tissues but even the different ones were swapped for different different ones. And my pack of 6 tomatoes at 85p were swapped for 6 loose tomatoes at 2.35. How can it cost so very much more for loose ones they are not luxury as far as I can tell just plain salad tomatoes. Should even be cheaper as haven't had to pay for plastic trays and packers to pack.

The way the swaps work at least I don't have to pay for the extra tomatoes and the different tissues were cheaper so it was 20p below the 50 pounds. I am keeping an eye on swap rules because its an obvious loss to them and breaks the minimum order rules. When stock control was better probably a minor occasional cost but swaps are more frequent it must be costing them a bit. I have noticed when I order the very cheapo things they are unavailable rather than swapped for something else e.g. tin of peaches can't believr werent any tins at all so maybe thats the start of it.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I am keeping an eye on swap rules because its an obvious loss to them and breaks the minimum order rules. When stock control was better probably a minor occasional cost but swaps are more frequent it must be costing them a bit. I have noticed when I order the very cheapo things they are unavailable rather than swapped for something else e.g. tin of peaches can't believr werent any tins at all so maybe thats the start of it.
Yes, I have noticed that sometimes 'no suitable alternative was available' on some cheapo things. Obviously there was an available alternative to a tin of peaches, but some algorithm had worked out it was over the limits of Mr Tesco's 'generosity'.

I did an order from Ocado recently, having had a tempting 25% off your order offer. Now they email me every week offering 25% off. And sometimes I take them up on it. Obviously it ends up costing more than the 25% saved, as Ocado sells tempting M&S food, but to heck with it, if a couple of fat cream-stuffed M&S eclairs covered in thick chocolate fondant do more to make Mr M smile than the thin, mean ASDA version, I'm going to indulge him from time to time.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I think I misjudged the tomatoes and its how they show it on the receipt its 2.35 a kilogram and works out about 1.30 which is still a lot more than 85p.

The tea bags were sent as ordered but are in a new paper box with no foil wrapping inside . Arent tea bags supposed to be kept air tight that's why we have tins to keep them in once packet is opened. I have a plan to keep good stocks in case of more emergencies and only opened them to nosey on the new box but I will drink those first now and keep the older foil wrapped ones for later in the year.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I have two large plastic containers with sealable lids. I keep washing powder in one and teabags in the other. If you see me foaming at the mouth one day you will know what happened. :D
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The supermarkets are being investigated because they kept the petrol prices too high when taxes were reduced. In their defence they say they were cross subsiding price of food. Supermarkets are private business though aren't they and this has always happened. Because they did it on petrol its been possible to notice and petrol is important enough to important people that investigators care. I have noticed prices of things I buy go very expensive e.g. jelly no need to rise so much (300% ish) but its not in the inflation basket or the newspapers cheap things basket so they can get away with it. And I noticed when news was how kind they are selling basic loaves for 75p can get a loaf below a pound again hooray that they put the price of my favourite hovis up to over £2.

I got sent a tin of del Monte peaches this week instead of the cheap ones so that was nice.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I like Hovis granary and that costs £2.15 IIRC.

Also they keep touting their £1.29 for 1kg of their own brand oats as a price reduction which is all lies because just over a year ago it was 79p but they put it up to £1.49 before bringing it down to £1.29. My memory isn't as short as they would like it to be.

As to the petrol I noticed that the BP Londis filling station on my way home from Knightwood was usually cheaper than Morrisons so I started buying my petrol there. The only time I have used Morrisons since then is when I had a 5p off a litre of petrol voucher and then only if it undercut the BP station.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I got an offer of 1000 points for spending 10 pounds in July so I did that and got my 1000 points. I didn't get even one measly point for any of the things I bought. Boo hiss for Morrison's new system. I prefer tesco delivering anyway but can't be paying 50 pounds minimum when I need bread and milk so have gone to Morrison's occasionally for top ups. In covid I just did without until next order arrived but its not a very nice life so I go early when fewer people are up and about to breathe covid breath at me.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Morrisons had an offer of 17,000 points if you spent £45 a week for 4 weeks out of 6. I've been able to achieve that just by buying what I usually buy, so I have 20,000 points waiting to be claimed. I think I have to wait until the end of the promotion period before I can in fact use those 17k points, but it will be a cheap week one week in August for me.

One thing I have noticed is that Morrisons is expensive for petrol compared with the local filling stations that I pass on my weekly travels; I saved £1 on my last petrol purchase by buying it in Romsey instead of at Morrisons when I went to the hospital in Romsey for my ultrasound scan last week.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

What is a Morrison's point worth?
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Not very much Eccs; 1,000 points=£1.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

And you cant spend them until get a full five pounds worth 5000 points.

Under this new system you seem to only get points for things people don't buy much anyway for example the petrol which oc is avoiding and he won't be the only one. Other things like pizzas and parties and plants. If the other sections aren't doing so well they should close them and just sell more groceries that people do want to buy like tinned stuff which has been massively reduced in shelf spaces.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Asda has an app. If you use it when checking out in-store I think it adds a cash sum of 1% of your purchase total to a running total. Shopping online adds it automatically. They have starred products that earn a bit more, usually 10% of the purchase price. You can spend your app cash in units of £1 in money off future purchases. Like with Furby's example, starred products tend to be branded items that are more expensive. Petrol is by card payment only so there's no way of getting cashback, but it is a bit cheaper than the BP garage down the road.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Wines and sprirts have gone up under some new laws preferring people to drink less alcohol. I hadnt paid enough attention usually taxes rise in April don't they so i didn't stock up in July.
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I stocked up and bought 2 litres of my favourite Monkey 47 gin but that was all. There's only an extra 76p on a bottle of spirits but we all know retailers use any tax rise to hide profiteering on their part so the total jump will likely be about £2. Fortified wines seem to have had a massive increase, sherry and port especially. It seems a particularly stupid time to have the largest increase in duty for 50 years when inflation is so high but the last 5 years of Tory government have been up there with Blair's government as the dumbest in my lifetime.