Whinge about printer inks

Techie News and Qs
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I probably should put this in whinge forum but as its about printers I put it here. I looked it up and the answer is furby just needs to buy more inks ha ha loser etc.

When I got my new printer I decided to print things in black and white for business. So could just buy black inks. I change windows to grey scale and use black and white photocopy. I did forget once and it was dark pink logo which probably explains red ink being lowest. But all the color inks are low as low as black. It uses color even printing black and white but seems such a lot for nothing. I am not sure why black ink is sold individual if this is the case who manages to use just black.

I bought the inks so it's all done now but if anyone has ideas to use less color ink please say.
Attachments
16901039047930.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I don't know the answer, it does seem strange

Looks like you have the same make of printer as I do - "Remaining capacity of Maintenance box"

I never took any notice of that bit, until one day when it refused to print any more until I replaced the Maintenance box :eek

I had to buy a pack of two from Amazon. It was easy to change in the end but it was a surprise that I had to, I never had any such thing with HP printers.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Furby the bad news is that there's probably nothing you can do about it. It seems that the majority of printers mix colours to make greyscale and to smooth edges of fonts which might otherwise look jagged.

There might be a monochrome setting which is different from greyscale, but even if it has one it will tend to look poorer quality.

Also when switching on it runs a little ink through from each cartridge to keep the tubes clear so that's more wasted there.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Thanks I might as well print in color then if its using up the silly inks anyway.

We had lots of printers at my work from little ones on the desk to big washing machine things that took a box of paper. I never heard of maintenance kit either. The laser printers had a drum kit that wasn't ink maybe its like that but mine is just a little ink printer.

More and more places seem to be forcing cusornwrs into using home office printers by stopping sending bills and statements any more. Not sure the planet is helped by lots of little printers instead of fewer industrial scale ones.