Woolwich, nicer than it used to be

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

.. at least, north of the main road towards the river it is lovely, in what is called 'Woolwich Arsenal', where the site of the old Armoury has been redesigned, keeping lots of the beautiful old buildings and cannon dotted about here and there, with wide pedestrianised areas and big blocks of upmarket flats with balconies.

Always kids on their little bikes going up and down here, lovely they have a nice safe place to ride

woolgun.jpg

And there's a stream with cool places to sit under trees and the kids can paddle (cleverly incorporates one of the old Brass Foundry walls, see plaque)

brassfoundrywall.jpg
Quite often this changed its nature like a theatre mask, from pretty and playful to seedy, as it was also the favourite haunt of local druggies come to buy, sell, and enjoy :rolleyes , but it's a lovely place when families with little children have it to themselves

paddlestream.jpg

Friendly baby squirrels

squirrel.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

We went to the pier (5 mins walk) quite often and took the Thames clipper Uber boat towards inner London, these boats are lovely, lots of room, comfy seats in or out, a cafe aboard, and the most wonderful views of famous London places:

cablecars.jpg

Through Tower Bridge from both directions
towerbridge.jpg
towerbridge2.jpg

Through the Thames barrier! very exciting, I have always been obsessed with it (large mechanical structures in deep water... shiver)
thamesbarrier.jpg

You can hop on and off the UberBoat like a bus, but I don't know how much it costs if you break your journey, as we did, but who cares when you can get cakes like this at a wonderful cafe (Brera) overlooking the Thames at Canary Wharf!

brera.jpg
brera2.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

The O2 arena (used to be the Millennium dome: now a place for concerts and lots of shops inside:

o2.jpg
Inside - a golden staircase and glittering baubles

indome.jpg

colours.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

And a few random photographs

padders.jpg

merryjay.jpg
castpics.jpg
neonmerry.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Last but not least, everywhere we go, we seem to see one of these. This was one of the nicer ones, carefully made in Gummi Bears
gummi.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Nice pics. I especially like the mother and daughter one. Maybe worth printing?
I'm not sure what to make of the gummy bears shape. Is it meant to look like a phallus? :eek
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Did you get to climb on the roof of the dome?
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Furby wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:13 pm Did you get to climb on the roof of the dome?
I didn't fancy it in the end! it was £35 EACH and you had to be chained on and follow a line of people... I thought there was a better use of money really!
Nice pics. I especially like the mother and daughter one. Maybe worth printing?
I'm not sure what to make of the gummy bears shape. Is it meant to look like a phallus? :eek
Yes (love the polite word there :lol) and people draw them EVERYWHERE ?! on every advert, every blank space of wall...
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

£35? Its only £33 pounds for Buckingham palace. I remember the dome was supposed to be a temporary tent and they were going to take it down and build something else so I suppose its remarkable just by being there to see and now merry has seen it.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The London Eye was supposed to be taken down as well, but that has found a way of surviving.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I love these pictures!!! ❤️ Woolwich looks beautiful. Kind of like these areas that used to be shabby but then they made them really nice. We've got some of them in Vienna as well (in fact, I live in one of them).

The cake looks absolutely delicious and now I'm hungry again. 🤣

The Thames Barrier is fascinating.

And the O2 arena. I have a dvd recording of the Les Miserables 25-year-anniversary concert at the O2 which is beautiful.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)