Plant Based Corner

Top tips, handy hints, recipes
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Plant Based Corner

Post by merry »

Tom and I made hummus while he was here and it was delicious
In a food processor, whizz up 60g (12 teaspoons) of Tahini with the juice of one lemon. Do it till it changes consistency and becomes soft and fluffy.

Tip in two small cans of drained chickpeas (reserve some of the liquid) and 3 tablespoons olive oil. A dash of salt and pepper and a pinch of paprika. Process till lovely and smooth (personally I quite like it if not totally smooth) and taste for seasoning; also, add some of the chickpea liquid or more olive oil if too thick.
Truly delicious! it's supposed to have garlic in it so you can add that if you are one of those weird people who loves garlic ;)

I learned a lot from Tom about vegan eating during his visit and I have developed a love for Vegan Butter (why did I think this would taste odd? I suppose I was thinking of the taste of soy milk, which I don't like) and Crispy Fried Tofu, which Tom made for us, Tofu curry which we had in Oxford market - both delicious. I also love Oat Milk and am going to use it henceforth in coffee AND tea. Just because i now know I like it.

Oh - we also had the vegan haggis! (mentioned in another topic) - and it was nice! there was just rather a lot of it :D we had it with vegan gravy (lovely) and new potatoes, with in my case, far too much plant butter. I think Tom ate some actual vegetables here and there.... not sure i had many of those, but I tried ;)
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Plant Based Corner

Post by eccles »

Oh - we also had the vegan haggis!
That's good news that you used a vegan option as wild haggises are getting quite rare these days. They're not a protected species.
wild haggis.jpg
Wild Haggis
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Plant Based Corner

Post by merry »

:rofl
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City