Coronation Quiche yes or no

Top tips, handy hints, recipes
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Charlie's choice for his 'coronation' buffet.

Lots of controversy about it as a) the recipe specifies LARD in the pastry (lard offends the Lord, one Lord at least) b) it's horrible

(broad beans in a quiche?!)
Coronation quiche recipe

1 x 20cm flan tin

Pastry

125g plain flour
Pinch of salt
25g cold butter, diced
25g lard
2 tablespoons milk
Or 1 x 250g block of readymade shortcrust pastry

Filling

125ml milk
175ml double cream
2 medium eggs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and pepper
100g grated cheddar cheese
180g cooked spinach, lightly chopped
60g cooked broad beans or soya beans

Method
1. To make the pastry: sieve the flour and salt into a bowl; add the fats and rub the mixture together using your finger tips until you get a sandy, breadcrumb-like texture. Add the milk a little at a time and bring the ingredients together into a dough.
Cover and allow to rest in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
2. Lightly flour the work surface and roll out the pastry to a circle a little larger than the top of the tin and approximately 5mm thick.
3. Line the tin with the pastry, taking care not to have any holes or the mixture could leak. Cover and rest for a further 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C.
5. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, add baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes, before removing the greaseproof paper and baking beans.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C.
7. Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, herbs and seasoning.
8. Scatter half of the grated cheese in the blind-baked base, top with the chopped spinach and beans and herbs, then pour over the liquid mixture.
9. If required gently give the mixture a delicate stir to ensure the filling is evenly dispersed but be careful not to damage the pastry case.
10. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and lightly golden.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I quite like broad beans but life is too short to make ones own quiches so won't be trying it unless supermarkets do a version of it. Probably not time for them to get processing set up now unless they were told earlier the winner. It possible to do a veggie version of the recipe by dropping the lard for instance. Cant really do a vegan version of quiche though so too bad for them.

So probably no from me but could be yes if there's a shop version.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

merry wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:13 pm Charlie's choice for his 'coronation' buffet.

Lots of controversy about it as a) the recipe specifies LARD in the pastry (lard offends the Lord, one Lord at least) b) it's horrible

(broad beans in a quiche?!)
Coronation quiche recipe

1 x 20cm flan tin

Pastry

125g plain flour
Pinch of salt
25g cold butter, diced
25g lard
2 tablespoons milk
Or 1 x 250g block of readymade shortcrust pastry

Filling

125ml milk
175ml double cream
2 medium eggs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and pepper
100g grated cheddar cheese
180g cooked spinach, lightly chopped
60g cooked broad beans or soya beans

Method
1. To make the pastry: sieve the flour and salt into a bowl; add the fats and rub the mixture together using your finger tips until you get a sandy, breadcrumb-like texture. Add the milk a little at a time and bring the ingredients together into a dough.
Cover and allow to rest in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
2. Lightly flour the work surface and roll out the pastry to a circle a little larger than the top of the tin and approximately 5mm thick.
3. Line the tin with the pastry, taking care not to have any holes or the mixture could leak. Cover and rest for a further 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C.
5. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, add baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes, before removing the greaseproof paper and baking beans.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C.
7. Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, herbs and seasoning.
8. Scatter half of the grated cheese in the blind-baked base, top with the chopped spinach and beans and herbs, then pour over the liquid mixture.
9. If required gently give the mixture a delicate stir to ensure the filling is evenly dispersed but be careful not to damage the pastry case.
10. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and lightly golden.
I make pastry with lard 😬
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I make pastry with lard
So do I, Di! :hugs My Nan who was a great plain cook (she was a housekeeper/cook by 'profession') told me half lard, half butter, made the crispest bestest nicest pastry, and I always win a pastry class at the Winchcombe Show, so..... :smug

I like making quiches and eating them :D but have found you can't really beat a classic Quiche Lorraine (oodles of cream, cheddar and bacon).

I think the supermarkets will surely want to cash in, so you could be lucky and get one, Furby!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

I make pastry with lard.

No thanks to the broad beans in a quiche...not quite right.

In fact, when speaking to my friend's soon-to-be Ukrainian in-laws, I was told that lard makes all baking much better. :eek I haven't checked it out, but I believe that lard is cheaper than butter at this point. Maybe some day? :huh

ME
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

merry wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:30 pm
I make pastry with lard
So do I, Di! :hugs My Nan who was a great plain cook (she was a housekeeper/cook by 'profession') told me half lard, half butter, made the crispest bestest nicest pastry, and I always win a pastry class at the Winchcombe Show, so..... :smug

I like making quiches and eating them :D but have found you can't really beat a classic Quiche Lorraine (oodles of cream, cheddar and bacon).

I think the supermarkets will surely want to cash in, so you could be lucky and get one, Furby!
Yes merry. Half butter and half lard. My nan showed me too! At school in cookery (although we were posh and called it domestic science) it was the same. I still use my school cookery books now that have my little girl hand writing in them 😆
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

My nana too and she taught my mum who said it makes the pastry stonger which is exactly what you need for a quiche. I only cook for essential eating myself as I don't like all the chief cook and bottle washer tasks required and don't have any servants to help. I may have some ordinary sort of quiche and broad beans to eat with it to use the coronation idea but have easily available food and drink and my tea in a china cup. Didn't receive an invitation to the coronatuon myself so will have to watch on TV.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I love that we were all taught the lard thing! :bighug

I am trying to write a collection of recipes out for my daughters, to preserve for posterity, but I feel it's a bit of a waste of time. They are of the generation where roasts are no longer popular, pastry would never be bothered to be made, and Lard is a four letter word :rolleyes
I may have some ordinary sort of quiche and broad beans to eat with it to use the coronation idea but have easily available food and drink and my tea in a china cup. Didn't receive an invitation to the coronatuon myself so will have to watch on TV.
That sounds like a lovely plan for the afternoon, Furby :up

I am sorry I did not get an invite either, as I would very much have enjoyed turning it down, signed 'off-with-their-heads-like-the-French-did merry'
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The coronation quiche has been rejected by the public. I am not surprised because who likes spinach really except Popeye. I ordered a cheese and onion quiche and its in the freezer.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Very wise, I think.

I saw you had it, in the other topic.