Earworms

eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Earworms

Post by eccles »

For those who are mystified by the above term, it is a description for a song or music that keeps repeating in ones mind until you're fed up of it but it stays there. My solution, such as it is, is to think of something else. Unfortunately that tends to take over as the new earworm.
We were discussing this on chat last night, and being a bit of a music snob I announced that my latest earworm was the third movement from Schubert's 9th symphony (The Great). Actually I was wrong in that it was the second movement and not the third.
Anyway, here it is. The movement is quite repetitious in any case so it will start off that earworm hitting the ground running.

Are there other HF (un)favourite earworms?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Earworms

Post by eccles »

Another classical earworm has to be the fifth movement called The Shepherd's Song from Beethoven's 6th Symphony, The Pastoral.
The movement starts at about 34 minutes. This recording of the BPO from Deutsche Welle is interesting in that at about 41 minutes the first clarinet changes the reed in his instrument during the performance! He's nothing if not confident.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Earworms

Post by dianakc »

eccles wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:44 am Another classical earworm has to be the fifth movement called The Shepherd's Song from Beethoven's 6th Symphony, The Pastoral.
The movement starts at about 34 minutes. This recording of the BPO from Deutsche Welle is interesting in that at about 41 minutes the first clarinet changes the reed in his instrument during the performance! He's nothing if not confident.
Gosh that was splendid. I had to watch for the reed change!
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Earworms

Post by merry »

Oh god I am almost sorry to share this with you (but to share a pain halves it, right?) and to lower the tone so dreadfully, but...

I present to you...

Die Jahresuhr

(it's a German song to teach children and merries the months of the year.)

I actually love it, but can sing it constantly all day, over and over... as he says... fangt das ganze schon wieder von vorne an...

Wonderful idea for a topic, Eccs!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Earworms

Post by OurCreature »

I find sometimes that when I want to remember a tune another one intrudes and stops me remembering the tune I really want. One such tune is A Swedish Rhapsody (Midsummer Vigil); quite often I'll find myself hearing in my mind this tune instead that won't go away.

It's still Scandinavian, but not Swedish.

Then this one takes over:-

Lord knows why!

But sometimes I get lucky.

Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.