Somebody sum up Sanditon for me

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I have never watched it.

Can someone summarise it please?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Here's a summary from someone who hasn't watched it. So it may be COMPLETELY uninformed and wrong. Fossy you need to correct me ;)

Girl meets guy, falls in love, he likes her too, but for some reason, he leaves her.
Same girl loses her money and has to work as a governess - falls for her employer. ;)
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
cashmeritan

Post by cashmeritan »

YES! I will try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible. Still, there are a few spoilers here so BEWARE

Charlotte Heywood is a bit of a country girl who's quite outspoken compared to other girls. One day while she's out hunting with her siblings, she encounters a carriage that tips over, and she runs over to help the occupants. Inside the carriage are Tom and Mary Parker of Sanditon, and they ask Charlotte to come visit them as thanks for saving them. Sanditon is a modern seaside resort town that Tom Parker has taken pains to develop into an up and coming place to be, full of sea-bathing and fun stuff like that. Charlotte goes with them and leaves her hometown for the first time. She is captivated by Sanditon and all of its inhabitants, and begins to assist Tom in some of his planning for the town.

She meets his younger brother, Sidney (mm Theo James) and sparks fly. They clash heads at the beginning but gradually fall in love with each other. However, circumstances conspire against them. At the end of Charlotte's visit, she returns home with a heavy heart.

End season 1.

Season 2, Charlotte returns to Sanditon with her sister in tow after learning some devastatingly sad news. She decides that she will not marry, and will try to make her own way in the world. So, she becomes a governess to a Mr. Alexander Colbourne, a reclusive Mr. Rochester-type dude, and takes on his niece and daughter as her difficult new charges. Things go well, sparks fly. Misunderstandings occur, and again, Charlotte leaves Sanditon under unhappy circumstances. Her friends from Sanditon visit her in her hometown for her sister's wedding, and Charlotte reveals that she is getting married....to a childhood friend and farmer, whom she does not appear to love.

End season 2.
:elephant
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Wow this is epic!

Thank you both!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Very good, Mary. :clap Oh, can't believe it will be already in next Sunday. How I missed Heybourne. Love them very much! 😍❤️❤️‍🔥
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

TRavine wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:38 pm Here's a summary from someone who hasn't watched it. So it may be COMPLETELY uninformed and wrong. Fossy you need to correct me ;)

Girl meets guy, falls in love, he likes her too, but for some reason, he leaves her.
Same girl loses her money and has to work as a governess - falls for her employer. ;)
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

:p :twisted: :p :twisted:

:clapping :clapping

You are funny.

ME
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

OK, so as an Austen purist, there is a fragmentary writing by Jane Austen which the TV series borrows the setting from - but it's best to read it as an AU fanfic of that, because a lot of the TV content is not very Austenish (there are carriage chases and kidnapping plots and people having hate sex on a snake mosaic and... stuff like that.

If you'd like to try out a different adaptation of the fragment (a modern day spinoff of the Lizzie Bennett Diaries), this has got a different spin which I was quite fond of:
The opening is a bit slow, but give it a chance.

For the people who love the TV series to bits? Purity is overrated, please keep enjoying it!
(she/her)
HerRoyalMajestrix

Post by HerRoyalMajestrix »

cashmeritan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:44 pm YES! I will try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible. Still, there are a few spoilers here so BEWARE

Charlotte Heywood is a bit of a country girl who's quite outspoken compared to other girls. One day while she's out hunting with her siblings, she encounters a carriage that tips over, and she runs over to help the occupants. Inside the carriage are Tom and Mary Parker of Sanditon, and they ask Charlotte to come visit them as thanks for saving them. Sanditon is a modern seaside resort town that Tom Parker has taken pains to develop into an up and coming place to be, full of sea-bathing and fun stuff like that. Charlotte goes with them and leaves her hometown for the first time. She is captivated by Sanditon and all of its inhabitants, and begins to assist Tom in some of his planning for the town.

She meets his younger brother, Sidney (mm Theo James) and sparks fly. They clash heads at the beginning but gradually fall in love with each other. However, circumstances conspire against them. At the end of Charlotte's visit, she returns home with a heavy heart.

End season 1.

Season 2, Charlotte returns to Sanditon with her sister in tow after learning some devastatingly sad news. She decides that she will not marry, and will try to make her own way in the world. So, she becomes a governess to a Mr. Alexander Colbourne, a reclusive Mr. Rochester-type dude, and takes on his niece and daughter as her difficult new charges. Things go well, sparks fly. Misunderstandings occur, and again, Charlotte leaves Sanditon under unhappy circumstances. Her friends from Sanditon visit her in her hometown for her sister's wedding, and Charlotte reveals that she is getting married....to a childhood friend and farmer, whom she does not appear to love.

End season 2.
This was the best spoiler-free summary of the show that you could have given. So excited for season 3!
AnnabellaGrace
100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by AnnabellaGrace »

merry wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:34 pm I have never watched it.

Can someone summarise it please?
The summaries written are well-done, but what is missing is the intensity of the love Charlotte and Alexander Colbourne share after both of them have known such disappointment in love. It is angsty and beautiful especially the depiction of their relationship in Season Three. I will not spoil it for anyone, but I will say that I have watched Season Three in total several times. I love it more each time, and Ben Lloyd Hughes is up there with Richard Armitage with being able to convey so much with his eyes and his body. I loved it every bit as much as I do North and South.

Sanditon tackled the issue of slavery and I applaud them for doing so. Many of the names chosen can be found in history books about abolition. It is rumored that Heyrick Park, the estate of Alexander Colbourne was name for Elizabeth Heyrick who was an English philanthropist and campaigner against the slave trade. She supported immediate, rather than gradual, abolition. And, Mrs. Wheatley, Alexander Colbourne's housekeeper, is rumored to have been named in honor of Phyllis Wheatley, an African poet who was sold into slavery and owned by the Wheatley family in America. She was emancipated by her owners after her first book of poetry was published. I could go on, but I respect that the show took on such an important issue of that time.

I would grant that Season Three is the best of the three seasons. I cannot say I loved all the characters in every season, but I can say that the ending of the story was quite satisfying. Charlotte Heywood is right up there with Ann Elliot for my favorite of Austen's heroines. By far and away, Captain Wentworth is my favorite Austen man, and while Austen did not create the character of Alexander Colbourne, I found him quite in keeping with her romantic heroes and he is right up there in my esteem with Captain Wentworth.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:53 am Charlotte Heywood is right up there with Ann Elliot for my favorite of Austen's heroines. By far and away, Captain Wentworth is my favorite Austen man, and while Austen did not create the character of Alexander Colbourne, I found him quite in keeping with her romantic heroes and he is right up there in my esteem with Captain Wentworth.
Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth are my favourite Austen couple as well!

I've enjoying Sanditon as far as I've seen; we don't have TV here.

ME
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:53 am but what is missing is the intensity of the love Charlotte and Alexander Colbourne share after both of them have known such disappointment in love.
Well, Annabella, if you mean this in S2 then that intensity of their love couldn't be there yet, 'cuz they only started to know each other, know their past secrets for each other and understand their feelings to each other. S2 was like their love story beginning and S3 - fight about their love and be together. I don't know, but I feel intensity in both seasons. That love what they feel for each other, especially from Alexander's side, it's something so beautiful. I love that very much. Alexander will doing everything for his love to Charlotte and he really did it. :love I just wanted to say my thoughts about it, but I know that opinions can be different! :up

Anyway, I'm glad that you, Annabella, watched S3 and that you like Sanditon. I have all S2 and S3 in my laptop so I can watch it whenever I want. 😃 I don't like S1 so I not rewatch it. No, only S2 and S3! 🥰
AnnabellaGrace
100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by AnnabellaGrace »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:26 pm
AnnabellaGrace wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:53 am but what is missing is the intensity of the love Charlotte and Alexander Colbourne share after both of them have known such disappointment in love.
Well, Annabella, if you mean this in S2 then that intensity of their love couldn't be there yet, 'cuz they only started to know each other, know their past secrets for each other and understand their feelings to each other. S2 was like their love story beginning and S3 - fight about their love and be together. I don't know, but I feel intensity in both seasons. That love what they feel for each other, especially from Alexander's side, it's something so beautiful. I love that very much. Alexander will doing everything for his love to Charlotte and he really did it. :love I just wanted to say my thoughts about it, but I know that opinions can be different! :up

Anyway, I'm glad that you, Annabella, watched S3 and that you like Sanditon. I have all S2 and S3 in my laptop so I can watch it whenever I want. 😃 I don't like S1 so I not rewatch it. No, only S2 and S3! 🥰
I loved Season One, and Sidney Parker. However, I think Alexander was certainly a better match for our Charlotte. Their love story was just beautiful!

I have rewatched all three season multiple times. I definitely think Season Three was the best!
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:49 am
I loved Season One, and Sidney Parker. However, I think Alexander was certainly a better match for our Charlotte. Their love story was just beautiful!

I have rewatched all three season multiple times. I definitely think Season Three was the best!
I also liked Sidney and first season, and they couple, but when I saw Alexander first time, I just fell in love with him. So yes, I agree that he is much better match for Charlotte. He's perfect for her and for Last Austen hero (yes, I know that he isn't JA's creation), but for me he's like that. 😍❤️ And again I agree - S3 is the best season. I love it very much! 😃❤️‍🔥👍