March Hares, Daffodils, let's Spring forward!

Chat about anything and everything
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It feels like spring today!
Not here it doesn't. It's mostly overcast with spots of rain keeping the temperatures down. I'll take it though, good walking weather.
Lovely flowers.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Is board chat tonight as posted above or Friday as usual? :huh
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

eccles wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 pm Is board chat tonight as posted above or Friday as usual? :huh
That's what I want to know....and it's not at the usual time for me either because GB hasn't changed its time yet. I came an hour earlier last week.

ME
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I am sooooooo sorry, no, it isn't tonight! I was trying to get ahead of myself there .. it will be tomorrow as usual.

:blush
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The clocks in UK go forwards on Saturday night Sunday morning. It's annoying but not nearly so much now as most clocks know their place and adjust themselves. I still have a few wind up clocks and a watch and a telephone guarding system. The telephone system is most annoying because every time I change a light bulb i have to reset it. Still never mind if will soon cease to work when we get new improved telephone systems in the town and i won't have that problem just other different problems.

I broke another plate this morning. I have other plates not a worry there but I used to do this all the time when I went to work but seemed to settle once I was my own boss. But now plate or cereal bowl breaking is back in the mornings. I don't know how to be able to stop it.

I had hail stones falling on my house yesterday so I suppose that counts as spring has sprung here.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I have three clocks and a wristwatch that will require resetting.
My back lawn needs cutting but the ground hasn't dried for the last month and more rain is due today, maybe hail too because Furby gets her weather before us down south. Sad to hear of Furby's broken plate. I hope it wasn't an expensive one.

Tadpoles are continuing to hatch in the garden pond and I have spotted a frog and a newt. There are also a couple of backswimmers/water boatmen, but oddly, no pond skaters yet. The latter were the first to appear when the pond was completed last year. Are they being eaten, I wonder?

Merry hasn't posted her announcement of tonight's chat after yesterday's slip up. It's ok Merry, we aren't angry with you. You can come out now. :hugs
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

It's ok Merry, we aren't angry with you. You can come out now. :hugs
:blush

:rofl

My only excuse *launches on long, complicated excuse in hopes everyone gets bored and stops reading before realising it made no sense whatsoever* is that I used to have Tesco on THURSDAYS and recently I moved it to WEDNESDAYS so yesterday (Thursday) was 'the day after Tesco' which translated into 'ahaha so it must be Chat tonight!'

with me? :D

Thank you for coming to Chat, Eccles, OC (who had an early pass-out I don't remember issuing?!) and to the other Chatters, we had a lot of fun!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Doesn't anyone post in Chatty any more? I can't believe no posts in here since my own, 4 days ago when I was about to leave for London!

Anyway, I'm back :)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

WB Merry.
How did the immersive theatre go? Scrub that, just found your post.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Welllll...now that all the clocks are set properly, it won't be all screwy for the next six months.

The forum has been quiet all over, I think.

My girls are on spring break...but it doesn't jive with other things in my sphere... But it's driving kids to friends' houses, redoing African hair, and other things like funerals.

Which reminds me that I have homeschoolers that have a class tomorrow regardless, and I need to read Narnia to them this afternoon

I'm heading out of town this weekend...going to visit a friend on the other side of the Rockies with my girls...six hour drive, but make it seven. But that's how you roll in Canada...you drive hours to get anywhere, and we just up and do it...well, some do, and others think and plan a bit more...usually if you are rural anyway.

ME
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

You can get dvds of the first two Narnias now so could stick them in front of the TV.

Merry there have been posts but in other threads. I don't really like chat threads but have given up and accepted it's what other people here want. Makes it impossible to back track 7 years later when theres a development to a story. And merry herself started a real thread about a topic as Eccles found out.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

A special shout out to Thameslink today. MYF goes into London for her weekly meetings every Wednesday and today marked a full house for the month of March - 4 Wednesdays running her train has been cancelled. I drop her at the station at 8am for her 8:11 train and the earliest she has managed to get is 8:26 with a 9:11 worst case - obviously she has to stand all the way. It's been a similar story on the return journey and Thameslink think it's OK to charge £37 for this pathetic service. the sooner we get driverless trains the better.
On the plus side March has been really enjoyable - our 5 day break in Madeira was great fun, the Lizzo concert at the O2 a couple of weeks ago was not really my cup of tea but MYF loved it and I must admit the girl is a very talented flautist (and flauntist if there is such a word). England won both their Euro qualifiers and my quiz team won both quizzes we've done this month all of which were boozy fun evenings and last weekend I drove to Basingstoke and met MYF's extended family who were lovely and very welcoming. Her aunt cooked the most amazing Sunday lunch - roast pork and crackling with all the trimmings. It was so good I had thirds. We stayed at a Premier Inn for the princely sum of £42 so all in all pretty good.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Glad you got your clocks sorted Mim. In our part of the world it takes a bit more effort... ;)

viewtopic.php?t=16

I envy your drive over the Rockies. It must be glorious in the Springtime. I visited friends in Colorado near Denver many years ago and made several trips while there including Mount Evans and Pike's Peak. The road up the latter was still unpaved when I was there and quite scary to drive.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The road up the latter was still unpaved when I was there and quite scary to drive.
Sounds like the North West Fjords in Iceland in 1988 when I took Mum on her Big Drive literally all round the perimeter of Iceland. As we were approaching the first really steep bit of the unpaved road she looked higher up the mountain and asked 'Are we going up there?' I couldn't really see a road there so I said 'No.' Famous last words...............................
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

There was a recent TV show featuring comedians Lou Sanders and Ed Gamble on Dave that did that Iceland drive. They thought it was scary too.
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/11/ ... rous_roads
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Here's a pic stolen from Google Streetview of the North West Fjord road on its southern part bordering a big bay called Breiðafjörður. You can see a fjord coming in from the bay. The pic is from 2013 - 25 years after I drove along it in 1988 and not much has changed. In the pic whoever is driving the car is approaching a series of zigzags which will take him/her down to the valley below.
scaryroad.jpg
I can assure you this road was quite easy compared with some I drove along next day..............in the mist............with Mum starting to suffer from duff scallop that she eaten the evening before in Stykkishólmur.......
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Roast pork and crackling! that is my all-time favourite. Lucky WR, I would have fought you for those thirds.

Nice to see it busy in here again.

Furby I kind of share your liking for discrete topics, but I started the Chattys to try and get the post count up a bit (years ago) as sometimes people just have a short random thing to share which they think doesn't merit an entire topic. But I know what you mean.

Mim! I do so love hearing little snippets about your life.

I've had Helen staying since The Burnt City on Saturday and we have had a lovely time all together (the kids came round tonight) but i am sooooo tired! Too much fun has been had :D
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I wasn't comp!aiming as such because that's old news. I was explaining why I didn't post here because i found other topics to whinge in and nothing to reply to. It's also an example of when workplaces introduce new practices that when management is away staff will slip back into old ways too easily.

Luckily for me I can avoid transport most of the time now but wildrover is right it is evil. Pretty much never go anywhere where all of the legs (bus tram train etc) just turn up and take me there and back. Even when they do turn up they stop for all sorts of reasons. The world's mad. Never ending moaning about lockdown all during lockdown and yet business as usual is now wanting people to stop using cars and rely on unreliable public transport which puts people back to lockdown life unable to go places. Surprised it's not bigger news really.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

eccles wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:24 pm Glad you got your clocks sorted Mim. In our part of the world it takes a bit more effort... ;)

viewtopic.php?t=16

I envy your drive over the Rockies. It must be glorious in the Springtime. I visited friends in Colorado near Denver many years ago and made several trips while there including Mount Evans and Pike's Peak. The road up the latter was still unpaved when I was there and quite scary to drive.
I mean that everyone here is hopefully now matched with the clocks and time zones. That mucked me up for a couple of weeks.

It isn't spring here yet...it's thinking about it, but not yet. And I'm a bit concerned about and rain and snow on the trip...the forecast is worrying me a bit...so safety for the road. I'm not sure if I should take my SUV (Jaguar) or my mini-van (Wombat)...The Wombat drives better in the winter (the J lost its 4x4 ability), and gives us a bit more space; on the other hand, P needs it, because he has six people left at home and needs it for Sunday.

ME
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Whichever vehicle you use, I hope you have a safe journey, Mim!