Pi Day

Top tips, handy hints, recipes
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pi Day

Post by mimosa »

Do you do Pi Day?

3.14159265 (Night at the Museum -- my eldest daughter just blathered off the rest of the numbers....my eldest son has them to the 100 digits, I believe, printed out and hung in his room)

We're having pizza and pie today.

ME

(Sorry it's late for England and Europe...)
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Pi Day

Post by dianakc »

mimosa wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:32 pm Do you do Pi Day?

3.14159265 (Night at the Museum -- my eldest daughter just blathered off the rest of the numbers....my eldest son has them to the 100 digits, I believe, printed out and hung in his room)

We're having pizza and pie today.

ME

(Sorry it's late for England and Europe...)
I didn't know Pi day was a thing. Maths was always something of the dark arts to me when I was at school, but my son takes after his dad's side of the family on that score and is a bit of a geek reciting Pi! Not implying your kids are geeks by the way 🤣
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Pi Day

Post by Furby »

I never heard of it either or if I did long since forgot.

I remember the rhyme from college how I need a drink alcoholic of course.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pi Day

Post by TRavine »

I think that's such a cool idea!! I love it!! 🥰🥰
There is always a good reason for Pizza and Pie. 😉
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pi Day

Post by OurCreature »

Mr Spock used the fact that Pi is an infinite fraction/decimal to out an Evil Spirit from the ship's computer in an episode of Star Trek.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Pi Day

Post by merry »

I looked up your bit Furby, how clever, I never knew that before!
"How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics,"
I shall try and remember that as a lot of puzzles involve recognising the early pattern of pi.

Your children sound very mathematical, mim! and yours too, Di!

Lol OC. Was that original Trek?

I love Pie. At school they used to do a big tray of Chicken and Lemon pie, which they would cut into 3" squares. It was blooming delicious!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pi Day

Post by OurCreature »

Lol OC. Was that original Trek?
Yes, it was. It is the episode when they are on shore leave on a planet where the locals are non-violent and the Evil Spirit inhabits the body of the planet's chief security bod. It jumps out of his body into Scotty's and makes Scotty commit a murder for which he is put on trial, but Kirk and Spock save the day as usual. When the existence of the Evil Spirit is established and that it is on board the Enterprise, Dr McCoy prepares a drug which will make the Evil Spirit harmless if it is daft enough to be in a body when it is so injected, so it hides in the ship's computer and then starts playing with it as the number of undrugged bodies runs out. Mr Spock gets the computer to calculate the value of pi to the nth decimal place, so more and more of the computer is devoted to this task until the Evil Spirit has no alternative but to jump into an undrugged body - ironically, the now unconscious chief security bod. So that body is quickly drugged and carted off to the transporter room for maximum dispersal in space, and everybody lives happily ever after until the same time next week.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pi Day

Post by eccles »

OurCreature wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:44 am Mr Spock used the fact that Pi is an infinite fraction/decimal to out an Evil Spirit from the ship's computer in an episode of Star Trek.
I thought it was Kirk who did that. I have the series so I shall check and report back.
I can remember 3.141592654. I used to remember a few more decimal places but (adopts old cretin voice) I'm 75 you know. :D
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pi Day

Post by eccles »

I found the episode. It's Season 2 episode 14 called "Wolf in the Fold". And your memory is correct OC, it was Spock who commanded the ship's computer to calculate Pi.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pi Day

Post by OurCreature »

And your memory is correct OC
:)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pi Day

Post by mimosa »

Pi Day!!

I didn't even remember it until quite late this morning.

I could do pizza. That's in a pi shape. Or make a pie dessert...hmmm....I'd better get on it. I have kids gone who don't like soup, and I have a chicken carcass to cook down for broth...and a kid who doesn't want shepherd's pie or chicken pot pie, so I could just save pi day for dessert....hmmmm....

I could make the pie or buy the pie...it might be the latter.

ME
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pi Day

Post by eccles »

Did you bake your pi Mim?
I hadn't heard of pi day before yesterday although I know Judy Garland used to weigh a pie.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pi Day

Post by mimosa »

eccles wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:12 pm Did you bake your pi Mim?
I hadn't heard of pi day before yesterday although I know Judy Garland used to weigh a pie.
I can bake and do bake, but not this time. I actually forgot until the day was half gone...and then it's too overwhelming to make a decision either way about what to make...and that debilitates me.

I bought pizza, and bought a strawberry rhubarb and pumpkin pie, and made a cookie pizza.

ME