Sooo.. anyone planning a holiday this/next year?

Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

We've just got back from 5 days in Pooley Bridge staying at MYF's parents' cottage which overlooks Ullswater. It was a little chilly due to high winds (though not as bad as in Scotland apparently). We had a fabulous trip around the lake on the little steamer and some very special food at a Michelin starred gastropub called the Dog and Gun. I had a cheddar and black truffle souffle and MYF had roasted scallops with celeriac for starters both of which were delicious but paled into insignificance in comparison with the wonderful chateaubriand we shared as a main course with buttered cabbage, broccoli and parmesan chips as an accompaniment. I'm not normally big on desserts but we had millefeuille and it was absolutely amazing.

MYF and me on the Ullswater steamer (though we took this on last year's trip)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I didn't even know that Parmesan chips were a thing. Sounds delicious.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

It really was delicious and I thought it was very reasonable for a "special occasion" meal - the three course option was a fixed price of £59. When I was working I took clients out in London for meals that were twice the price and nowhere near as good.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

That food looks lovely, WR!

Having made contact via Facebook I drove down to Sway (a village in the New Forest not far from New Milton and Lymington) this morning to have a look at a cat hotel there; it turned out to be just down a lane from the 218 feet tall Peterson's Tower which I understand is the highest building made from unreinforced concrete in Europe. The cat hotel turned out to be nice, so that is where They will be staying (at a total cost of £270 including the deposit) while I am away in Iceland.

The drive took me 40 minutes, but next time I shall know where I am going so it will be nearer 35 minutes; that will not bother Them. I shall take their own kibble as well but the cat hotel will provide their Felix. The hotel also provides what Alyson (the owner) calls Maine Coon beds and the bedding to go with it, but I shall leave the cat basket that they like to curl up in as well plus 2 or 3 toys for them to play with.

Problem solved!
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Here's a link to where They are staying if anybody is interested.

https://www.cottagegardencats.co.uk/
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I was very interested!
We have houses suitable for single cats, double houses for pairs
- they will be in a house for two?

I note all rooms have a 'view' - including of a dovecote! :eek surely that must be like me standing outside a cafe where they are roasting pork, with my nose pressed to the window? :lol

It looks lovely, OC, really nice :hugs
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

WR that food looks glorious. You and YYF picked ALL my favourite things. The chateaubriand and the parmesan chips, especially! £59!!!! that was a snip, I've paid nearly that for three takeout pizzas from Domino's lol.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Cheesy chips have a!ways been a thing at chip shops but not many of those left now. I think food in england should not be allowed to have non english names just so they can pretend it's posher. I had to look up millefeuille and it's a vanilla slice. It doesn't seem 5 minutes since the last holidays are workplaces ok with all these holiday days. I suppose it's can't get the staff these days so they are.

I have been driven to Lymington hospital once but the new forest is all the same. Roads with trees with no where to stop or turn round for hundreds of miles. I hope the tower helps oc find it again though with sat navs and phone maps it's easier these days. Poor cats being made to share a cat house and not getting one each.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

Millefeuille in our case was chocolate but I take your point BF; if it had been vanilla it would have been what our school dinners would have termed a "custard slice". It was generally a great trip for food - we also had one of the best pub meals I've ever had, a sausagemeat and black pudding Wellington with a port and brandy gravy. Delicious meal for £13 - prices seemed so much cheaper up in Cumbria than down here.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Poor cats being made to share a cat house and not getting one each.
Don't waste sympathy on them, Furby - they have always shared a billet and I think they are happy enough. There is a divide between their sleeping quarters with only a small gap in the partition, so they will have their own space when they sleep.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Wildrover wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:46 pm We've just got back from 5 days in Pooley Bridge staying at MYF's parents' cottage which overlooks Ullswater. It was a little chilly due to high winds (though not as bad as in Scotland apparently). We had a fabulous trip around the lake on the little steamer and some very special food at a Michelin starred gastropub called the Dog and Gun. I had a cheddar and black truffle souffle and MYF had roasted scallops with celeriac for starters both of which were delicious but paled into insignificance in comparison with the wonderful chateaubriand we shared as a main course with buttered cabbage, broccoli and parmesan chips as an accompaniment. I'm not normally big on desserts but we had millefeuille and it was absolutely amazing.

MYF and me on the Ullswater steamer (though we took this on last year's trip)
oooh, that looks really awesome. And delicious.

Thinking of gastropubs...my husband's cousin's daughter and her husband own The Black Bear Inn in Bettws Newydd...is that Wales? She's Canadian, and he's obviously from over there....but they met while working at Ellsworth in Paris.

ME
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Mim, how could I not help you with this? Bettws Newydd is in Monmouthshire in SE Wales, and here is a link to the Black Bear Inn website.

https://www.theblackbearinn.co.uk/

And a picture as well. It's a highly rated gastropub.
0_Black-bear.jpg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

My holiday plans have reached the point when I can say with confidence that I am booked for the Douro Valley cruise next April for approximately one week. Riviera Travel confirmed today that I can fly there and back with TAP in their version of business class and I have paid the extra £334. All I have to do now is buy the travel insurance which I shall do next week. The UK airport is Gatwick.

There are nice excursions, including at least one vineyard, the city of Salamanca in Spain, a religious establishment IIRC with splendid gardens, a fortified hilltop village, and a day in Porto itself with a trip to one of the Port houses if you want to go on that.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I would choose the fortified hilltop village.

How else would you get there without flying do some people get coaches to save the 334 pounds.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The £334 is the cost of the upgrade from Economy class to Executive class, which is what TAP call their version of business class.

So at both Gatwick and Porto airports I shall hasten through the priority channel for the security check and be able to use a business class lounge at both ends. You can fly Economy and pay separately for the lounges, but it is all a bit fiddly and I would rather just pay all in one go and have the appropriate boarding card when I need it and have the extra comfort on the plane.

All the excursions are included in the price - a visit to the Portuguese version of a National Trust property, the fortified village, Salamanca in Spain, a quinta (vineyard with sampling), a church with an amazing stairway, and back in Porto a visit to a port house with more sampling.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I like the idea of two lots of sampling. It shows you have the right priorities :toast except for a distinct lack of cake. Will you have to make your own arrangements for cake?
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

a distinct lack of cake
I am hoping there will be a Portuguese equivalent to go with the drinks............ :D
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Their custard tarts are amazing. As different from our flabby things as it can be. The pastry is crisp (filo I think) and the filling is rich and soft and creamy.

These ones are from Pasteis de Belem near Lisbon, probably the most famous place, but they are everywhere - do try them - one is never enough!
pasteis.jpg
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I think this trip sounds amazing! I am so envious, OC. Just what you want - being taken everywhere you need to go - with lots to look at along the way.

I don't think £334 was too bad for the upgrade to business class.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

one is never enough!
Five is pushing it though... :D