Yodel!

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Yodel!

Post by TRavine »

Love all the Songs! 😍
That kid is amazing. And Takeo Ischi can yodel unlike most people here! 👏👏👏
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

I suspect this style of yodelling is more traditional than the popular songs of Franzl Lang or Takeo Ischi. The dance tune at the end fits in more with the popular idea of Alpine folk music, I think!

Potz! Musig is a Swiss channel devoted to Alpine folk music which is why Nicolas Senn pops up a lot, as in this video playing his hackbrett in the background.

Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Here's Nicolas Senn having fun with 2 other hackbrett players.

Plenty of drinks on the tables. Prosit!

And here is Fabienne playing her hackbrett; I thought this was charming which is why I've included this video.

Still a few drinks to hand!
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Yodel!

Post by TRavine »

These are amazing!!!

Kind of makes me want to play Hackbrett. I think I can kind of play it, it's similar to the piano when it comes to the key system. It would probably take an hour or two to get acquainted.

Sadly, I know no one who owns one, and they are VERY expensive! (As most Instruments are).

My great grandma used to play the zither, but her instrument was lost. Pity. I would have loved to learn it.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Yodel!

Post by TRavine »

Here's another Alpine instrument: The Maultrommel - the literal translation would be Yap Drum - but the correct English translation is Jaw Harp.

I think it's an instrument that is also common in parts of Asia, but is also very much engrained in Alpine culture and part of Austrian/German/probably also Swiss folk music.

I actually have some jaw harps...somewhere. 🤣 I'll have to go and look where I put them.

Each jaw harp only produces one single key note, so if you want to play a song with more than one note, you need multiple harps.

And also: they can be uncomfortable to play. You basically produce a sound by letting the metal part vibrate against your teeth which feels a bit similar to a drill used at the dentist - not as painful, but the weird, vibrating feeling, if you know what I mean.

And if you don't get the angle right, you'll also hit yourself in the teeth with the metal tongue or may even injure your lips.

There is a world-famous jaw harp manufacture about 20 mins from my parent's house. The owner's son went to my cass in middle school, and we went to the manufacture once on a school trip to see how the harps are made.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Using multiple jaw harps clearly takes some skill. I see these musicians come from the Tirol.

One name for the instrument in English-speaking countries is jews harp, which is odd because the instrument has nothing whatsoever to do with Jews. According to Wikipedia the first use of the term in English was in Sir Walter Raleigh's Discouerie Guiana in 1596, spelled "Iewes Harp", but nobody knows exactly why the term came into use in English. The term is also found in Danish (Wiki again) - jødeharpe.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Yodel!

Post by merry »

Wow! those things are weird!! :eek

Funnily enough I really enjoyed the performance! it was so catchy! once you got used to the sight of a bloke twanging a metal rod against his teeth while sticking four others in his eye at the same time :rofl

GET YOUR HARPS OUT FOR THE GIRLS, TOM!

(if you're not familiar with that reference, which you probably are :) it's a crude hen-night chant :blush
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Another video of Takeo Ischi - from 1985 in Bregenz, which is the main town in the Austrian part of the southern shoreline of the Bodensee, or Lake Constance as it is known here. I have been on the northern edge of the lake a couple of times on the steamer to and from Schaffhausen (it's a long trip!) and have needed to look it up a few times as well on the map, and I think of it as the Bodensee now. Konstanz is in Germany and the steamer ends its journey from Schaffhausen at Kreuzlingen, just after Konstanz but in Switzerland.

Here's Takeo.

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Yodel!

Post by TRavine »

OurCreature wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:19 pm Another video of Takeo Ischi - from 1985 in Bregenz, which is the main town in the Austrian part of the southern shoreline of the Bodensee, or Lake Constance as it is known here. I have been on the northern edge of the lake a couple of times on the steamer to and from Schaffhausen (it's a long trip!) and have needed to look it up a few times as well on the map, and I think of it as the Bodensee now. Konstanz is in Germany and the steamer ends its journey from Schaffhausen at Kreuzlingen, just after Konstanz but in Switzerland.

Here's Takeo.

This makes me want to learn how to yodel, lol! I can't do it to save my life.

I've been to lake Bodensee a couple of times, to the Swiss, German and Austrian side. Actually, my work colleague went there only yesterday. It was his birthday and on your birthday you can travel free on public transport, so he got on a train and went from Vienna to Bregenz (takes, I think, about seven hours), went for a swim in Bodensee (he does ice swimming - it's crazy!) and then made the seven-hour train journey back to Vienna on the same day.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Meanwhile here are some more folk playing their Maultrommelmusi.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Not quite something completely different - it looks like fun as long as you are not the chap in mid-air and the others suddenly decide to take the table away before he's landed. Fortunately everything went to plan!

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

And now for some more Alpine dancing by gentlemen in short lederhosen.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Swiss alpine music meets the bagpipes - I put this up as it is Burns Night. United Maniacs is a Swiss group devoted to Scottish pipes and drums. It's only fair to say that the folk who commented on this didn't really like the combination.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Here's Franzl Lang again. Why on earth did people think flared trousers could be fashionable back in the 1970s........even I fell for this need to conform.............the lady introducing him, the late Maria Hellwig, sang Alpine-style songs with her daughter with a little bit of yodelling - nowhere near the standard of Angela, Melanie and Herlinde but quite pleasant.

One person commented that the cameraman kept on trying to escape but nobody escapes Franzl Lang.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Here's a charming little polka played at a competition in Innsbruck in 2010.

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Yodel!

Post by TRavine »

Just catching up with these after some busy weeks with work and evening classes. The dancing is hilarious! And that guy who is thrown into the air...let's hope he won't break his neck! 😅😂
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

These Appenzellers are doing something at first a bit different to Franzl and Melanie - I like it. It's not long before they get into something that we think of as Alpine music. One of the dancing couples are having to be careful to not tread on the Alpenhorn.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Here's Melanie and her family doing her ku-ku yodel outdoors. Engelhartszell where they filmed this (as shown on the video) is in Upper Austria on the Danube not far from the German border. Linz is SE of Engelhartszell.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Here's Nicolas Senn in his Appenzeller folk outfit playing a jolly tune with his chums. The lady, Erika, playing the accordian comes from a musical family in Canton Appenzell and often plays with her brothers in a group called Trio Fassler. No brothers on show today, but you will not escape the spectacle forever. You get a brief view of the Dirndl Dancing Girls in this video.

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Yodel!

Post by OurCreature »

Here is a group from Austria (if ORF is anything to go by) playing their Stubenmusik - it translates as Room Music so I suppose it's a bit like a trio playing in the Pump Room in Bath as a background to genteel conversation.