Fanfic ideas

DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Groundhog Day is this guy who's a jackass being forced to relive the same day over and over again until he figures out how to be nice to people, so he basically works out how to finesse the perfect day by trial, error and a lot of repetition.

There's another one that might be relevant, It's a Wonderful Life, about a guy who's basically very good and selfless who gets so depressed about he can't make anything better that he tries to commit suicide, and an angel turns up and takes him back through key moments of his life to show him how much he helped people really.
(she/her)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by merry »

I watched 'It's a Wonderful Life' with Mr Merry just before Christmas, Daisy! Gosh that seems an age ago - but was only about 10 days I guess.

It was great!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

merry wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:34 pm I watched 'It's a Wonderful Life' with Mr Merry just before Christmas, Daisy! Gosh that seems an age ago - but was only about 10 days I guess.

It was great!
I'm not sure if I've ever seen it all the way through. It's one of those movies that percolates through cultural osmosis, almost.
(she/her)
PenelopePitstop

Fanfic ideas

Post by PenelopePitstop »

Happy New Year Millers! I am hoping the flurry of North & South fanfiction continues in 2023. It has brought me so much pleasure to read, a much needed distraction from what's been going on in my private life.

I am very excited that Tom is going to write the Lady Chatterley's Lover mash up with N& S.
I am really an ideas person but not a writer so I am always thrilled when someone decides to run with a fanfic idea. Really looking forward to it Tom....just remember, we need our couple to have plenty of "encounters" in the woods! 😉

Ps I loved your Christmas story. Any chance of a few more chapters when the inspiration hits you?
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by TRavine »

PenelopePitstop wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:29 am Happy New Year Millers! I am hoping the flurry of North & South fanfiction continues in 2023. It has brought me so much pleasure to read, a much needed distraction from what's been going on in my private life.

I am very excited that Tom is going to write the Lady Chatterley's Lover mash up with N& S.
I am really an ideas person but not a writer so I am always thrilled when someone decides to run with a fanfic idea. Really looking forward to it Tom....just remember, we need our couple to have plenty of "encounters" in the woods! 😉

Ps I loved your Christmas story. Any chance of a few more chapters when the inspiration hits you?
The vibe I have in mind is "young, sheltered woman's sexual awakening in a secret affair with dark, brooding, traumatised war hero." Or something along those lines. Melodramatic. You know the drill. 🤣🤣

And everyone's asking for more chapters on the Christmas story. 😅 Not gonna say yes or no yet. Maybe I'll write them some day. I do kinda like the open ending though. 😉
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by mimosa »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:44 am
merry wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:34 pm I watched 'It's a Wonderful Life' with Mr Merry just before Christmas, Daisy! Gosh that seems an age ago - but was only about 10 days I guess.

It was great!
I'm not sure if I've ever seen it all the way through. It's one of those movies that percolates through cultural osmosis, almost.
I have never really sat and watched it. I think I was having to many "cringe" moments to truly enjoy it.

Even yesterday through our 5+ hour P&P marathon, I was hiding under my blanket, cringing, and squealing.
PenelopePitstop wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:29 am Happy New Year Millers! I am hoping the flurry of North & South fanfiction continues in 2023. It has brought me so much pleasure to read, a much needed distraction from what's been going on in my private life.

I have not seen this, and I'll probably have to "sneak" it in while the kids are gone and I can turn youtube on to get what's going on, so that I know what's going on.

I guess that's what happens when I'm not a movie person. Oh LOL.

ME
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by mimosa »

What if Margaret went to Oxford with her father?

ME
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

mimosa wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:47 pm What if Margaret went to Oxford with her father?

ME
Oh, good idea, mim. 😃 There can express in different plots like Margaret going back to Milton with Mr Bell after her father died after her baggage and announce that she'll going live to Oxford with Mr Bell (if we remember in miniseries he said this to her and not to London) and when John knows it he confess her to love and propose, clearing up any misunderstandings! 😁🥰
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:47 pm What if Margaret went to Oxford with her father?

ME
Oh. Oh now that's a plot bunny
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by merry »

I love it! Margaret in Oxford!

And I know Oxford really well... could actually draw on some real-life locations! Beautiful place but... sinister. (Inspector Morse, anyone?)
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
FMN49

Fanfic ideas

Post by FMN49 »

Not sure where this goes but... (strictly as a reader, I'm not a writer)-

A thought from reading fanfic (different fandom but similar characters) how about seeing 'first time' sexual experiences from a different perspective? Instead of the virginal, bewildered 'what's happening to me?' headspace what would it look like for the couple to have a discussion about intentions/desires/physical changes instead of getting swept away in emotion, urges, 'not being able to stop', etc. Empowering female characters especially in modern AUs makes much more sense. And surely could be [where's the hotter emoji???]. (Hope this makes sense.)

Thoughts?
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by dianakc »

FMN49 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:21 pm Not sure where this goes but... (strictly as a reader, I'm not a writer)-

A thought from reading fanfic (different fandom but similar characters) how about seeing 'first time' sexual experiences from a different perspective? Instead of the virginal, bewildered 'what's happening to me?' headspace what would it look like for the couple to have a discussion about intentions/desires/physical changes instead of getting swept away in emotion, urges, 'not being able to stop', etc. Empowering female characters especially in modern AUs makes much more sense. And surely could be [where's the hotter emoji???]. (Hope this makes sense.)

Thoughts?
I love virginal bewildered 🤣🤣🤣. I tried a bit different with marital love fic. I like the idea of feisty M x
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by dianakc »

dianakc wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:02 am
FMN49 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:21 pm Not sure where this goes but... (strictly as a reader, I'm not a writer)-

Thoughts?
I love virginal bewildered 🤣🤣🤣. I tried a bit different with marital love fic. I like the idea of feisty M x
https://archiveofourown.org/works/44562400
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by merry »

Effie, I love seeing a different perspective as sex scenes (mine I mean) can get a bit samey. I usually do have a virginal, bewildered Margaret but then again she always catches on really quickly and reveals her inner minx. lol
to have a discussion about intentions/desires/physical changes instead of getting swept away in emotion, urges, 'not being able to stop', etc. Empowering female characters
I'm trying to picture this in a writing sort of way. Do you mean intentions like M stating 'I've always wanted to...' [insert sexual act] or 'I like having my ...[nose tickled]' or whathaveyou? I'll read any smut going :smug and I love it if it's a bit 'different' but not sure I could pull off (if you'll pardon me :devil ) writing anything really explicit and spelled-out in a sensuous way.
gotabingley

Fanfic ideas

Post by gotabingley »

ME
Okay, this is seriously funny. Almost around the same time you first posted this idea, mim, I was considering getting back into writing by pseudo-planning a story where Margaret goes to Oxford! (Which means I had a couple of potential plot bunnies in my head regarding it, but didn't actually write anything down.) Although my "planning" for this idea didn't have her go to Oxford until after her father dies, and she mainly just goes for the funeral -- no planning to actually stay and explore Oxford. It would just have been a jumping-off point for the rest of the story. I did wonder about it enough that I was actually looking up Bradshaw railway guides for Victorian train timetables, and boy did my eyes go cross-eyed trying to decipher those!
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Philipaholt »

gotabingley wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:55 pm

ME
Okay, this is seriously funny. Almost around the same time you first posted this idea, mim, I was considering getting back into writing by pseudo-planning a story where Margaret goes to Oxford! (Which means I had a couple of potential plot bunnies in my head regarding it, but didn't actually write anything down.) Although my "planning" for this idea didn't have her go to Oxford until after her father dies, and she mainly just goes for the funeral -- no planning to actually stay and explore Oxford. It would just have been a jumping-off point for the rest of the story. I did wonder about it enough that I was actually looking up Bradshaw railway guides for Victorian train timetables, and boy did my eyes go cross-eyed trying to decipher those!
Ohhhh you must write it, Meg! I've caught myself up on your prior stories....my goodness they're wonderful....I do hope you finish up A Very Kind Friend.

But anyways, do do follow this plot bunny!
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:57 pm
Ohhhh you must write it, Meg! I've caught myself up on your prior stories....my goodness they're wonderful....I do hope you finish up A Very Kind Friend.

But anyways, do do follow this plot bunny!
I caught up too! so great!

ME
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

gotabingley wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:55 pm

ME
You need to write this, Meg. I can imagine how wonderful story this could be if you would write it. 😃 I started to read A Very Kind Friend, but didn't finish it. It just didn't go to me, but if you'll finish it then maybe I'll trying to again read it! :blush
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by impossibleusay »

Thoughts?
FMN, I'm not a writer either but I love this idea! Definitely a challenge to pull off in a canon timeframe fic since discussions of the sort were taboo, especially for a virginal young bride on her wedding night - but I am 100% here for more talk before getting to the action. Merry's fic Dance With the Devil (one of my all time favorites!) does have Margaret bringing up her desires and disappointments with John (though not until well into their marriage) - such a wonderfully different take. Rush over to AO3 if you haven't read it yet - you'll not be disappointed!
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by merry »

Merry's fic Dance With the Devil (one of my all time favorites!) does have Margaret bringing up her desires and disappointments with John (though not until well into their marriage)
Awww thank you Impy! I'll caveat your rec. by saying 'only read it if you don't mind a bit of smut' as it's certainly not for those who do ;) I really appreciate your appreciation of it Imp as it doesn't get nearly as much 'love' as my soppier sweeter stories :D

I had what I thought was a great idea for a fic the other day. I wrote a brief synopsis on the last Miller postcard I sent, which was to Autumn and I don't think she's had it yet. When she has had it I'll post the idea here. It would be historical (I mean pre-Victorian historical) and I'm not sure I could pull it off but maybe someone could....