What's your N&S dream team?

ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

Of course, we all love Richard and Daniella but if N&S were to be re-made today, who would you want to play our beloved characters? What is your N&S dream team? Or am I committing N&S sacrilege here?

For John, I would nominate Henry Cavill. I haven’t seen any pictures of him in a top hat but he sure can rock the waistcoat and cravat(see below)
!
I am not up on female actresses though, maybe Tom can help us with that. Although we could bring Daniella back as Maria Hale or even Mrs. Thornton.

Richard might be good for Mr. Bell. However, that might mess things up totally as we would all probably wish that Margaret would accept (RA) Mr. Bell’s offer of marriage instead of holding out for John.

Simon Pegg might make a good Mr. Bell. I think he might just have the right amount of comedy and seriousness to pull it off.

But whoever the next screenwriter is they absolutely MUST include the "Oh, my Margaret--my Margaret!" speech. I do not understand why Sandy Welch did not include it.
Attachments
324632963_702768558004209_7063982824498153610_n.jpg
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Interesting!

If they remake it I guess there will be a surge of interest in N&S fanfic.... :devil

The only problem is we might have to do search and replace through all our stories if they pick a red-head and a blonde :D
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

ColleenD wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:54 am Of course, we all love Richard and Daniella but if N&S were to be re-made today, who would you want to play our beloved characters? What is your N&S dream team? Or am I committing N&S sacrilege here?

For John, I would nominate Henry Cavill. I haven’t seen any pictures of him in a top hat but he sure can rock the waistcoat and cravat(see below)
!
I am not up on female actresses though, maybe Tom can help us with that. Although we could bring Daniella back as Maria Hale or even Mrs. Thornton.

Richard might be good for Mr. Bell. However, that might mess things up totally as we would all probably wish that Margaret would accept (RA) Mr. Bell’s offer of marriage instead of holding out for John.

Simon Pegg might make a good Mr. Bell. I think he might just have the right amount of comedy and seriousness to pull it off.

But whoever the next screenwriter is they absolutely MUST include the "Oh, my Margaret--my Margaret!" speech. I do not understand why Sandy Welch did not include it.
Colleen...how could you???

Although I absolutely second Henry Cavill as John Thornton. But I would vehemently be opposed to any of the original cast being involved...my heart and head wouldn't survive...

Gosh, all I really want is North and South read on audio by RA and DDA.....
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

ColleenD wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:54 am Of course, we all love Richard and Daniella but if N&S were to be re-made today, who would you want to play our beloved characters? What is your N&S dream team? Or am I committing N&S sacrilege here?

!

Interesting topic, Colleen. Well, I think that if N&S would re-made today, then it wouldn't be the same novel like in book. I mean that that it would be more modern than period with more modern things and less period things like in Persuasion 2022 adaption. It was very modern and very little was from period. That I don't like very much. And I don't think in that case would need to ruin such a classic like this one. :blush It's too lovely and adorable novel to take and ruin it, but it's only my thoughts. :up I just really don't like how today making period drama movies and series. All they're too moderning. 🙂

About actors - I don't know, 'cuz for me exciting only RA and DDA for J&M. Sorry. :lol And rest cast also for me are from miniseries only! 😁

Maybe I would watch re-made adaption in today only for that scene "Oh, my Margaret--my Margaret", but only for this, 'cuz I also so missed it in miniseries, but how I understand from Sandy's Welch letter and that EGH talk ( I didn't watch it, but read about it somewhere, but can't remember where) then first, they can't found place where this scene shoot and second, they didn't want to viewers misunderstood about J&M feelings through the Riot scene until proposal rejection or something like that, so they wanted more drama I think and that's why they didn't include it. I really tried to remember how she said, but it was a few time ago when I read it, but I hope I helped a little bit with this! :up
Philipaholt wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:36 pm Gosh, all I really want is North and South read on audio by RA and DDA.....
Oh, yes, it would be wonderful. I would love it to listening! :love :heart
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:44 pm

!

Interesting topic, Colleen. Well, I think that if N&S would re-made today, then it wouldn't be the same novel like in book. I mean that that it would be more modern than period with more modern things and less period things like in Persuasion 2022 adaption. It was very modern and very little was from period. That I don't like very much. And I don't think in that case would need to ruin such a classic like this one. :blush It's too lovely and adorable novel to take and ruin it, but it's only my thoughts. :up I just really don't like how today making period drama movies and series. All they're too moderning. 🙂

About actors - I don't know, 'cuz for me exciting only RA and DDA for J&M. Sorry. :lol And rest cast also for me are from miniseries only! 😁

Maybe I would watch re-made adaption in today only for that scene "Oh, my Margaret--my Margaret", but only for this, 'cuz I also so missed it in miniseries, but how I understand from Sandy's Welch letter and that EGH talk ( I didn't watch it, but read about it somewhere, but can't remember where) then first, they can't found place where this scene shoot and second, they didn't want to viewers misunderstood about J&M feelings through the Riot scene until proposal rejection or something like that, so they wanted more drama I think and that's why they didn't include it. I really tried to remember how she said, but it was a few time ago when I read it, but I hope I helped a little bit with this! :up
Philipaholt wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:36 pm Gosh, all I really want is North and South read on audio by RA and DDA.....
Oh, yes, it would be wonderful. I would love it to listening! :love :heart
Well, I don't know enough actors to have an opinion. I don't watch TV...just the occasional movie. Although I do like Rupert Penry-Jones, although whether he would make a good John Thornton, I wouldn't know. And I can't imagine a blond JT. LOL. Margaret should have black hair though, like it is in the book (if I recall correctly).

But what I think it should include "I love and will love" and all the rest of that line. I think that was essential to the proposal scene.

I agree, Pippa...an audiobook with RA and DDA for absolute certain. And about having the original cast in it.

I think so, too, Fossy, all your thoughts.

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

!

Sorry this is sacrilege
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

dianakc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:33 pm

!

Sorry this is sacrilege
Isn't it just??
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

Philipaholt wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:44 pm
Sorry this is sacrilege
Isn't it just??
Oh, come on! Isn't it fun to speculate? 2004 was much better than 1975. Maybe the next version will be even better!

Many people absolutely love P&P 1995, but P&P 2005 wasn't that bad.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

ColleenD wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:56 pm
Sorry this is sacrilege
Isn't it just??
Oh, come on! Isn't it fun to speculate? 2004 was much better than 1975. Maybe the next version will be even better!

It's a fair point and I DO like speculation...but I must confess I hated P&P 2005 :rofl
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

ColleenD wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:56 pm
Sorry this is sacrilege
Isn't it just??

In this time I'm not agree with you, Colleen. I think no other version will ever beat 2004 version and definitely not like that which would make today. It wouldn't be enjoyable. Not for me at least (reasons I wrote up). So don't compare N&S with P&P. That novel is something different from this. I like P&P (and 2005 version more better than 1995), but it's not so passionate, romantic and dramatic like N&S. That's why I love N&S more than P&P. :up Again it's only my thoughts and sorry, if I sounded harsh! :blush 🙂
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I was trying to come up with a female actress for Margaret but I watch so little TV that I don't know too many. Will think about it some more.
Henry Cavill is pretty cool though!! Would make a good Thornton for sure.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

You could sell me on Henry Cavill, but not Rupert Penry-Jones.

I'm not sure I'd want a remake though - I think we're in a film making era of everything being hyper stylised and the colours crushed and the acting dialed up to 11 and one major plotline too many to give any of them credit, which I think has gotten to the point where everyone does it unless they're making an art movie, because they're worried about getting bums on seats in an age of no attention span, and it makes me tired to watch. Yes, I'm feeling old. I took my daughter to see the Puss in Boots movie a couple of weeks ago, and we had to leave for a bit because it was too overstimulating. But, for instance, they did the same kind of thing to 2020 Emma. It was well received, but for me the stylisation pulled it away from what the book was trying to achieve.

I thought 2005 Pride & Prejudice was beautifully filmed and well-acted. I think the most helpful criticism I've heard of it is that they slotted in altered personalities into the characters - so they take the same actions in the book, but for different reasons. (Ie a lot of characters are socially awkward, where in the book they're proud, and they mean to be proud.)
(she/her)
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Sorry, I wrote that last night when I was a bit tired. Let us admire Henry Cavill, who has a nice voice. (And he's ethnically not quite right, but there's a lot more race blind casting, I have a vote for Henry Golding who also has a nice voice, and plays both a good hero and villain. He could do a very slimy Lennox, no worries!)
(she/her)
barelytolerable

Post by barelytolerable »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:58 pm Sorry, I wrote that last night when I was a bit tired. Let us admire Henry Cavill, who has a nice voice. (And he's ethnically not quite right, but there's a lot more race blind casting, I have a vote for Henry Golding who also has a nice voice, and plays both a good hero and villain. He could do a very slimy Lennox, no worries!)
Henry Golding would be good in anything!

This is potentially controversial but I honestly think Robert Pattinson (yes, of Twilight fame) could pull off a good Mr. Thornton. He's got an edge about him.

My other choice, who is my choice for everything, would be Dev Patel if we could do a race blind casting. It would actually add an interesting element if Mr. Thornton was Indian heritage. Dev's smile is everything, but he would be really good at the dark stuff too.

Honestly they'd probably be better off casting unknowns again...
"He is my first olive: let me make a face while I swallow it." (Chapter 21 of N&S)

My fanfics on AO3
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

barelytolerable wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:11 am
DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:58 pm Sorry, I wrote that last night when I was a bit tired. Let us admire Henry Cavill, who has a nice voice. (And he's ethnically not quite right, but there's a lot more race blind casting, I have a vote for Henry Golding who also has a nice voice, and plays both a good hero and villain. He could do a very slimy Lennox, no worries!)
Henry Golding would be good in anything!

This is potentially controversial but I honestly think Robert Pattinson (yes, of Twilight fame) could pull off a good Mr. Thornton. He's got an edge about him.

My other choice, who is my choice for everything, would be Dev Patel if we could do a race blind casting. It would actually add an interesting element if Mr. Thornton was Indian heritage. Dev's smile is everything, but he would be really good at the dark stuff too.

Honestly they'd probably be better off casting unknowns again...
Oh I actually like those!!! They would make interesting Thorntons!. 😊😊

Robert-Pattinson-Bel-Ami.jpg

personal-history-david-copperfield.jpg
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)