The original "Sound of Music" film

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I posted this in the random chat on The Mill, but thought I'd repost it here, because it actually fits in with this topic better, I think.

This is the original movie about the Trapp Family - the film adaptation of Maria von Trapp's autobiography. It was filmed and produced in Austria, in 1956, and it's in German (with a tinge of Austrian dialect), but with English subtitles (which you can switch on and off on the video). So this was almost a decade before the film with Julie Andrews came out. It is also much more authentic and a bit less cheesy (don't get me wrong, I love "The Sound of Music", but it views Austria through a very American lense :tongue )

It's the full movie. There is actually a part two with the same actors which focuses on their time in America. If I find a free version, I'll post it here too.

"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

That's very interesting Tom - I didn't know there was an earlier Austrian version of the Julie Andrews hit (which came out in 1965.)

The Austrian film has very splendid music accompanying the opening credits - but unsurprising given Austria's association with music!
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Oh fun, Tom! That's so great. The movie is still in my wish list, and I haven't ordered it yet. I will soon, though.

Wait, the part 2...is that a separate movie or is it the one that I would buy off of Amazon?

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

mimosa wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:28 pm Oh fun, Tom! That's so great. The movie is still in my wish list, and I haven't ordered it yet. I will soon, though.

Wait, the part 2...is that a separate movie or is it the one that I would buy off of Amazon?

ME
Part two is a separate movie, yes. I remember we bought the box set when I was a kid, which included both.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The children have different names in the famous movie.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Furby wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:03 pm The children have different names in the famous movie.
That is correct. The names in this version are actually the real ones. They changed them for The Sound of Music (initially for the stage play, later the movie) for privacy reasons. Maria's last name was also changed. Her real last name is Kutschera. In TSoM it was changed to Rainer.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

II've bought this :up - the DVD version doesn't have subtitles but I can cross-check with the Youtube version if I get totally lost and I figure it will help me with my German. :D
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I don't understand about privacy reasons because they weren't private were they going around making money as the Von trapp singers? Everyone who knew them just have known it was them. Why keep the Von trapp name and change the others.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Furby wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:08 am I don't understand about privacy reasons because they weren't private were they going around making money as the Von trapp singers? Everyone who knew them just have known it was them. Why keep the Von trapp name and change the others.
Yes, indeed. That is a question I have asked myself too. 🤣 Not very logical. Maybe there were other reasons that we don't know about.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

There are English subtitles to the 1956 film here:
https://subscene.com/subtitles/die-trap ... sh/1076018
But apart from the Youtube copy I haven't found a video that you can attach it to.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Thanks, eccles :up That's quite a find!

Pani couldn't find the film on a torrent either, which is why I bought it. I'm sure he could make a copy with subtitles from my original plus your link.

I'm hoping that trying to follow it in German will improve my skills :D
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

merry wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:42 pm II've bought this :up - the DVD version doesn't have subtitles but I can cross-check with the Youtube version if I get totally lost and I figure it will help me with my German. :D
Wait, what?! I just gave it to P at our date last week. I hope it has subtitles! But, takes, eccles, for letting us know that it's there on youtube.

ME
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It was Tom who posted the youtube link. :)
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Eccles - because you found that subtitle file, I now have a copy with subtitles :) Pani took it and my original paid-for DVD and managed to somehow merge the two.

So a big well done and thank you for that! :hugs

I was enjoying it in the German and could make out some of it and wasn't getting too lost with the plot, but i think it will help my German a lot more if I'm listening to the German but seeing a translation.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Don't you know the plot anyway.

They are a very rich family and have to keep their white clothes nice so their governess makes them play clothes from old curtains. The curtains in the Austrian version are nicer curtains. The children sing hop hop hop horsey go gallop when scared of the lightening. The Germans are after them to make the captain be in the military so they run away. They do get away and can use the children making noise to get priority as refugees.