Tough 2 (8 Jan)

merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Tough 2 (8 Jan)

Post by merry »

What links:

9 Fentanyl; oxycodone; morphine; heroin; codeine?

10 Michael Reeves; Piers Haggard; Robin Hardy?

11 Golden; Royal; Curry?

12 Bequia; Mustique; Canouan; Mayreau; Petit St Vincent?

13 UK vaccine information; thoughts of Colonel Gaddafi; Jim Crow travel guide?

14 1554, Winchester Cathedral; 1840, St James’s Palace?

15 Set; Medea; Cain; Romulus; Höd?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Tough 2 (8 Jan)

Post by OurCreature »

9 Fentanyl; oxycodone; morphine; heroin; codeine? Pain killers?

12 Bequia; Mustique; Canouan; Mayreau; Petit St Vincent? Islands in the Caribbean nation of St Vincent and the Grenadines.

14 1554, Winchester Cathedral; 1840, St James’s Palace? Marriages of English/British Queens - Queen Mary and Philip of Spain in 1554, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1840.

15 Set; Medea; Cain; Romulus; Höd? Murdered their brothers. Set murdered Osiris. Medea murdered her brother while fleeing by ship with Jason but pursued by her father's ships; she had her brother chopped up into pieces and scatteres them a few at a time into the sea so that her father would be delayed by the need to pick the bits out of the sea for decent burial. Cain murdered Abel. Romulus murdered Remus. I don't know who Höd murdered, unless it was Baldur.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Tough 2 (8 Jan)

Post by Wildrover »

9. Specifically they're all opiates
10. They're all film directors but I suspect there's more to it.
11. "Miles" in British cities - Golden Mile in Blackpool, Royal Mile in Edinburgh and Curry Mile in Manchester
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Tough 2 (8 Jan)

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

13 UK vaccine information; thoughts of Colonel Gaddafi; Jim Crow travel guide?
I'm willing to bet they're all either called the Green Book, or are named after colours.
OurCreature wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:39 pm I don't know who Höd murdered, unless it was Baldur.
Yes, Hod murdered Baldur - he was tricked into throwing a dart of mistletoe at him.
(she/her)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Tough 2 (8 Jan)

Post by OurCreature »

Thank you DaisyNinjaGirl - I remember the story now. Everything, apart from the seemingly harmless mistletoe, had promised not to hurt Baldur so the rest of the gods from time to time amused themselves by throwing things at Baldur, safe in the knowledge that they couldn't hurt him. Yes, it's a strange way of enjoying yourself, but that's Nordic gods for you. Evil Loki, however, had learned that the mistletoe hadn't sworn the oath not to hurt Baldur, so he gave the blind god Höd a bow with a dart made of mistletoe, pointed Höd in the direction of Baldur and told him to join in the fun and have a go. So Höd had a go with the result that the mistletoe dart pierced Baldur and down he fell dead.

Amazing how dim these gods can be.
Loki_and_Hod.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Tough 2 (8 Jan)

Post by merry »

nearly a full house! 6.5/7

I read the Baldur story, as retold by Enid Blyton :) when I was 8 and going through a very morbid fear-of-death phase. I thought it was utterly chilling. :eek

9 Opiods.
10 Directors of the “unholy trinity” of British folk horror films: Witchfinder General; The Blood on Satan’s Claw; The Wicker Man.
11 So-called “miles”: Blackpool; Edinburgh; Rusholme.
12 Islands in the Grenadines.
13 Green Book.
14 Marriages of reigning queens: Mary I; Victoria.
15 Fratricides in myth and legend: Osiris; Absyrtus; Abel; Remus; Baldr.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City