"I mounted her quickly" (Harry's book)

News & Friendly Debate
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

'I suspected he was referring to my recent loss of virginity, a humiliating episode with an older woman who liked macho horses and who treated me like a young stallion.

'I mounted her quickly, after which she spanked my ass and sent me away. One of my many mistakes was letting it happen in a field, just behind a very busy pub. No doubt someone had seen us.'
Well, this is going well :smug
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Another of his many mistakes is telling everybody about it 20 years later - as if sensible people care.

According to several headlines, other irritations were caused by Camilla turning his bedroom into her dressing room (he tried not to care), an evil secretary to the Queen parked their car so it obscured the sunlight going into his bedroom, brother William ignored him at Eton (though I understand that is par for the course amongst all siblings at independent boarding schools) etc etc etc.

This book - why call it a memoir, it's a book - could have made a difference if Prince Harry's basic premise had been that the Monarchy as an institution has outstayed its welcome, the hereditary principle should be scrapped along with the institution; and then cited evidence as to why at the very least it needs a purge such as the alleged racism of members and dependants of the Monarchy/Royal Family. Some hopes ho ho as he was a leading beneficiary of its perks until he upped sticks and fled the country. So far as I can gather, the main theme of the book is that everybody has been horrid to Harry and Meghan.

As it is, it will be a best-seller if advance orders are anything to go by and the prince will make a lot of money out of it. At what personal cost to Harry and Meghan I don't know; if the rest of the book is like the titbits we have been treated to, I can't see any way back for them.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I have no interest at all in buying one. However I had read that advance sales weren’t great and many stockists are selling it at half price or lest and some aren’t even stocking it. Having said that, I don’t know if this is normal for a book launch.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

My info about it being a best-seller, advance sales etc was from the BBC lead item about it on the 6 o'clock news on the TV.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Tesco are selling it at £8. retail is £28.
If the two of them despise the monarchy and its trappings then why do they still retain their titles?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

For someone who has constantly whined about the UK taxpayer not funding security for him and his wife, telling the world that he personally killed 25 Muslims who he did not regard as people seems particularly stupid. Then again the whole family are a bit thick.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I have a feeling it WILL sell in its millions. People are nosey.
Then again the whole family are a bit thick.
Thick, charmless, and unattractive. How we ever managed to persuade ourselves they deserve our fawning obeisance I just do not know.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

We never persuaded ourselves that they deserve our fawning obeisance; they were already there, at the pinnacle of a hereditary clique who ran the country. That was chipped away during the last 200 years with the expansion of the right to vote in elections and tidying up Parliamentary constituencies so that people actually lived in them.

Nowadays the Royal Family are the chief remaining visible vestiges of that system, though the transfer of power has been not to those who do all the work but to the people who run the economy.

I never cease to be amazed by the large numbers of forelock-tuggers who fawn over the Royals. William and Harry certainly were charmless when they were much younger if this article in The Sun (if true) is anything to go by.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/20966 ... der-woman/
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I think the King is quite intelligent, more so than his late mother. But apart from him none of the others appear to shine out do they, nor do they have to.
Regarding Harry's military claims, I read that TV news channels have suddenly dropped him as a favourite subject. If this is true then it would suggest that the security services have leaned on TV channels to downplay him as subject matter. That will no doubt please his attention-seeking wife.
Maybe it was his long term plan to avoid having to attend the King's coronation. After all if there's a fatwa against him he can claim that it's too risky to leave Montecito.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

I thought the stuff about his sexual exploits sounded like something invented by a 14yo to his mates. Making claims about how many Taliban he killed is just as pathetic. Perhaps he could sue the royal family for leaving him an emotionally/intellectually stunted child. With all their resources they could have done a better job.

I just hope it helps some of the believers in the religion of royalty become atheists. It's past time we put an end to this nonsense.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I thought the stuff about his sexual exploits sounded like something invented by a 14yo to his mates.
Pani, so did I when I thought about it for a little while mainly because I don't see how people at the pub at the time wouldn't notice and why didn't some sort of story about this exploit appear within days of it happening - perhaps the gentlemen of the press thought it was covered by the then truce re the Royal siblings in exchange for managed photo opportunities which operated until they were out of school education IIRC.

However, when I came across the Sun article I decided that this particular claim could in fact be true because if the article is correct those two young men were unbelievably stupid, arrogant and charmless at that time, and Prince Harry ended up being banned from the pub.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

His private tutor (when asked if Harry is bright) said it wasn't appropriate to criticise someone he taught as a child.

;)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

We never persuaded ourselves that they deserve our fawning obeisance
I never cease to be amazed by the large numbers of forelock-tuggers who fawn over the Royals.
:huh

:rofl
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

The book is out. The following represents the feeling in New Zealand apparently.
Spare.jpg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

:lol

And now this quote from PA Media UK News via Yahoo News. Oh, the irony...............
The Duke of Sussex has condemned Diana, Princess of Wales’ former butler for releasing a book that made a series of private revelations about his mother.

In his controversial memoir Spare, Harry said Paul Burrell was “milking” Diana’s death for money when he penned A Royal Duty in 2003, adding that it “made my blood boil”.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I have always followed the royal family story as a toffs coronation street.

My favourite book story so far was from the spanish where they couldnt agree on what exact original wording was in English so printed it using the Spanish. Harry was only given a slum basement flat in Kensington Palace ( every person who ever lived in a basement flat or even most flats would snap their hands off for such a chance especially rent free in Kensington) so Harry complained to another resident and asked them to move their car to allow more light in his windows. The person told Harry to Go Fry Asparagus and later asked the Queen to tell harry to stop complaining. Well done that man. Where its all gone wrong really Harry never told enough to go fry asparagus and not enough complaints got through to the Queen and seemingly none she ever paid attention to if they did.

My favourite news story was with the necklace and bowl dog. That was his favourite bowl and now its gone forever no one knows what thats like for a poor dog etc. But serves them all right for having bone china dog bowls that break doesnt it. I am hoping there is an interview with Charles teddy bear denying it is pitiful I am sure it is a very nice bear there must be pictures of it somewhere.

The saddest story is the queens death I think. Charles had lost his mother (something one would expect Harry to understand) and he was soon to be the king and there was a 70 year plan for this day and 101 things to do prime ministers and commonwealths to be told before the waiting people glued to TV screens. And he had to waste time arguing with Harry about dont bring Meghan today. It was their family day to be who they were as a family and she would have been crying and wanting hugs and making fusses refusing to adhere to protocols and it would have all been in this book.

One of the stories told about William meeting Meghan was Harry knew William didnt hug many people and certainly not strangers and what the protocol was for meeting Royals and still took Meghan round to force hugs on William. Its written as horrible william for minding etc but I am on Williams side on this. It does seem to be the modern world that hugs need to be forced on people and them blamed for minding. I see it as abuse and its quite sad in a world where all other kinds of abuse are at least being considered these days we have gone the other direction on forcing hugs.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Also we are starting to find out how true the Queen's words were when she said in her statement about the Oprah interview that recollections may vary...................people are starting to point out where some of Prince Harry's recollections vary from the facts, such as being given an Xbox four years before they came on the market or buying stuff in the TK Maxx annual sale when TK Maxx don't do annual sales and have said so. No doubt those who wish the Prince nothing but ill over this book etc have got scribes poring over every word and storing up lots of departures from historical fact so that they can destroy his credibility later.

Meanwhile, here is a newly-discovered fragment from the Bayeux Tapestry; I know, it's really an embroidery but there we go.
newbayeux.jpg
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Its shocking that no one thought to even fact check stories in this book especially the ones easily googleable in this day and age.

Another one was he was told at Eton about the queen mothers death when he was skiing at the time and it was the easter holidays. That was on all the web news and there is a BBC story with photographs and people older than Harry even remember without fact checking. The Press who where even there at the time would have known that right away.

And he made an error about a previous King Henry who wasnt Harrys great times grandfather after all. The average person probably wouldnt know all the King Henrys even if they studied history. I had forgotten. But if my own name was Henry and I was a royal prince I would have taken an interest in the previous royal Henrys. Also its very basic history that olden day kings arent modern princes grandfathers. He cant have studied hardly any history which is shocking for someone third in line to the crown while at school.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

He cant have studied hardly any history which is shocking for someone third in line to the crown while at school.
Maybe they wanted him to not read about what happened to Louis XVI in the French Revolution in case it frightened him.

Meanwhile, in a bookshop in Swindon
harryjest1.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Meanwhile, here is a newly-discovered fragment from the Bayeux Tapestry;
:D Excellent. If it has been shown to Harry he will no doubt wish to keep a record of keep it as proof of his story.