Whinge about everything breaking

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Today is the day the 3 things have broken.

Firstly, the igniter and display in my gas cooker has stopped working. I turned it off at the mains last night and no workie since. It beeps when I turn it on and the cable fuse is fine, so there will be something else internally that has gone. The hunt for someone to fix has started. In the meantime I can light the gas with a gas lighter thingy!

My iPhone no longer accepts incoming calls. If you call it, then either you get directed to voicemail to leave a message which I never get, or it tells you it is engaged. I have done a factory reset and still doesn’t work. I have also swapped the SIM cards. The problem remains if I put a different SIM card in and if I use its SIM card in another phone it works! Vodafone have reset at their end. Sigh.

Finally, I need to replace a cable which goes between my laptop (usb) and monitor. It carries the sound to the speakers and the monitor end looks like the photo below and is very similar to a printer cable. But isn’t. Local PC shop, PC world and screwfix can’t help. Search of the internet is hampered by not knowing what it is called.
Can you help?
Attachments
86244FE6-E246-406D-94B1-74CAA5187F42.jpeg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Is it this one, Patience?

If so, here's the link to Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372628181443 ... BM-qSdvfRg
Attachments
cable.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

OC, yours is a USB B which is often used as a printer cable but it's not that.
It looks proprietary to me. What's the make of your monitor?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Monitor to PC USB 3.0 Cable 1M USB 3.0 Upstream Cable Enables the USB Ports

That's what it says on the Ebay page - are they fibbing? I was going by the socket looking like the one Patience had in her hand.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I see the rules of the universe with 3 things breaking at once are still in place.

I don't know what it is. Has patience got any paperwork from buying the monitor that might state what its ports are called..

Or have you considered just buying a whole new monitor that would have a new cable. I know this sounds the stupidest ridiculousest advice but life has taught me it's sometimes the best solution.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

OC, looking again, you might be right but the ebay post doesn't state the connector type. I think Patience's photo and yours are USB B but I can't be sure. Patience, as Furby says, to be sure you need to find the spec sheet for your monitor, either with its documentation or online.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

It’s a HP243 monitor. Cable is marked as hotron e246588 awm style 20276. Awm I/II A/B 30v FT1 USB3.

In good news, my phone is now working. Somehow, all the numbers which I use (home phone, work phone and work mobile) had been blocked along with a host of random stuff. Who knows how. Fixed now.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I ordered the cable for <£3.
The manual is non-specific.

If you don’t hear from me again, I’m standing at the top of the stairs and the cat is immediately across my fee
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Back. Cat didn’t get me.

@eccles, my central locking is intermittent and sometimes it all works and sometimes the driver’s door and the boot don’t unlock. I can unlock the boot by using the button on the key and for the driver’s door I need to use the actual key 😱. Outrageous.
After months and months of everything unlocking as it should, it has now started with the intermittent issue. I have now narrowed this down to when it rains.

There’s obviously something that isn’t watertight as it should be.

Would this be something an auto electrician would look at? If I mention central locking at my normal garage, I get frowns and shaking of the head 🤣
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

According to HP, your monitor has two or three USB 3.0 ports of which two are one up and one down. Supplied with the monitor is a USB A to USB B cable.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05802914#AbT8

Regarding your car's electrical faults I can only suggest going to a main dealer (purses lips, sucks in breath "It's gonna cost ya.."), or continue using the key.
Is it a BMW?
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Hi ECCS, not a BMW, it’s a Hyundai i30 which is now 9 years old and I don’t fancy a dealer’s bill.

Here’s a bit from a manual and a USB type B cable it is.
Attachments
AA6AFFC0-3E1D-4CC9-9C50-2B312A285D83.jpeg