Welcome to new members, please read!

Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Welcome, LlanviewUdropout. Glad you join us. Enjoy our Mill and topics. You will find more very interersting info here about N&S. Feel like "home"! :up
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

I see there's a new user, Snuffles10. Welcome here and I hope you'll join in the discussions and enjoy yourself. We're all rather obsessed with this fandom but I promise we're also nice. 🤗
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

A warm welcome to Snuffles10! So happy to have you here!! 😊
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Welcome, Snuffles10. Glad you joined us. Enjoy our forum! :up
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

We have a new member, YorkshireRose - what a lovely name!

I don't know if Rose is a Miller but in case she is, welcome - we look forward to chatting with you!

:bighug
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

merry wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:02 pm We have a new member, YorkshireRose - what a lovely name!

I don't know if Rose is a Miller but in case she is, welcome - we look forward to chatting with you!

:bighug
YorkshireRose is a lovely reader from A03! I love whenever she comments. Hello Rose!
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Hello, YorkshireRose. Welcome here. Enjoy our Mill! :wave
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

A very warm welcome to YorkshireRose! 🥰
So lovely to have you here! 🤗
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I love that we're getting all these lovely new members. :grouphug It's absolutely fine if they just want to read, or feel a bit shy to post.

On the other hand, we'd love to hear from you... pop a post in here to say Hi, or a little photo of your local views in Where We all Live!

(over the years of running this board, I've noted that statistically only about 1 in 12 new members ever do post. ... let's see if we can't get that stat up a bit!)
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
YorkshireRose

Post by YorkshireRose »

Thank you, all, for such a warm welcome!! I'm a Brit living in the western US who usually spends most of her time exploring the Great Outdoors, and who has only recently returned to literature. I've devoured all your work, and am so impressed by your writing. I *would* like to try my hand one of these days, but it's been years since I've written anything that isn't hard science.

I fell in love with N&S back when it first aired in 2004 (and yes I remember the forums crashing!!). Many of the viewers went on to do writing courses, study English literature at postgraduate level, start new careers...all inspired by a period drama the BBC barely advertised! I read the book whilst waiting for episode 3 to air and must admit I've not read it since. I have, however, watched it countless times, and bought so many DVDs to give as presents I should have been rewarded by the BBC! It's only recently that it occurred to me to read fan fiction, and it's been quite the pleasure.

PS I've just realised how long it's been since I used a forum such as this, and how reliant I am on emojis; I must reacquaint myself and work out how to add the latter!
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

YorkshireRose wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:17 am Thank you, all, for such a warm welcome!! I'm a Brit living in the western US who usually spends most of her time exploring the Great Outdoors, and who has only recently returned to literature. I've devoured all your work, and am so impressed by your writing. I *would* like to try my hand one of these days, but it's been years since I've written anything that isn't hard science.

I fell in love with N&S back when it first aired in 2004 (and yes I remember the forums crashing!!). Many of the viewers went on to do writing courses, study English literature at postgraduate level, start new careers...all inspired by a period drama the BBC barely advertised! I read the book whilst waiting for episode 3 to air and must admit I've not read it since. I have, however, watched it countless times, and bought so many DVDs to give as presents I should have been rewarded by the BBC! It's only recently that it occurred to me to read fan fiction, and it's been quite the pleasure.

PS I've just realised how long it's been since I used a forum such as this, and how reliant I am on emojis; I must reacquaint myself and work out how to add the latter!
Welcome, Rose!

What Western US State are you in? I live in Alaska but I have lived in New Mexico and Arizona (although I am originally from PA). What hard science were/are you involved with?
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

It's nice to meet you, Yorkshire Rose!
(she/her)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

YorkshireRose wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:17 am Thank you, all, for such a warm welcome!! I'm a Brit living in the western US who usually spends most of her time exploring the Great Outdoors, and who has only recently returned to literature. I've devoured all your work, and am so impressed by your writing. I *would* like to try my hand one of these days, but it's been years since I've written anything that isn't hard science.

You lovely dear, we are sooooo happy to have you! Please do write something! Even if only for yourself. We love sharing ideas and stories here 🤗

As for your reliance on emojis....well....you're not alone! 🤭🤣
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

We are so pleased to have you, Yorkshire Rose!

Smilies should be just over there --------------------->

Click on one and it SHALL be entered! (if you need any help just shout) we all rely on them nowadays. It really vexes me that if i reply to comments on my stories on my laptop I don't have smilies available... another regrettable modern thing I LOVE is 'lol', I use it all the time, how did we ever manage without lol, and yet when I send it to eg my Uncle I could tell he was bemused.
I have, however, watched it countless times, and bought so many DVDs to give as presents I should have been rewarded by the BBC!
Me too, Rose!!! I bought several when they were £2.99 just before Christmas, incredible bargain. I'd have paid ten times that, a hundred, for the absolute joy John and Margaret have brought me...

merry/Sebastian
graceeliz

Post by graceeliz »

Hi all!
I'm Grace, I live in Cumbria in the far north, a proper Northerner, me. I'm the person who left the comment "*violently enthusiastic outpouring of Northern solidarity*" on The Honeysuckle and the Thorn. I love North and South, so much so I used it as my other book for my A Level Lit project, which was to do with social inequality in Gatsby and N&S. Anyone truly wishing to read it can ask, I'm sure it exists still somewhere. I hope it does, it took ages. I'm currently writing, amongst massive amounts of other fic and some original historical short stories, LOTR fic, one of which is putting Thorin into a N&S situation.
It's lovely to be here!
Violently Enthusiastically Northern
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Welcome Aboard, Grace. :wave I think you'll find lots of like-minded members here. We're a happy/friendly bunch
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Welcome, Grace. Hope you will like to use. There's so much to look at. So enjoy our Mill! :wave
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

graceeliz wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:54 pm Hi all!
I'm Grace, I live in Cumbria in the far north, a proper Northerner, me. I'm the person who left the comment "*violently enthusiastic outpouring of Northern solidarity*" on The Honeysuckle and the Thorn. I love North and South, so much so I used it as my other book for my A Level Lit project, which was to do with social inequality in Gatsby and N&S. Anyone truly wishing to read it can ask, I'm sure it exists still somewhere. I hope it does, it took ages. I'm currently writing, amongst massive amounts of other fic and some original historical short stories, LOTR fic, one of which is putting Thorin into a N&S situation.
It's lovely to be here!
Hello Grace and welcome here 😊 it's always wonderful to have enthusiastic fans!! 🎉🎉
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Grace! How lovely that you came!
I'm the person who left the comment "*violently enthusiastic outpouring of Northern solidarity*" on The Honeysuckle and the Thorn.
:rofl That comment really tickled me! I knew at once that Grace was One Of Us! :hugs
graceeliz

Post by graceeliz »

merry wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:33 pm Grace! How lovely that you came!

:rofl That comment really tickled me! I knew at once that Grace was One Of Us! :hugs
Yeah, you've got me, you're all stuck with me now as soon as I work out the best way to use this site!
Violently Enthusiastically Northern