Who hates Meghan on a cellular level?

contentious or thought-provoking issues
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Jeremy Clarkson is in hot water again.
He does it to make people laugh. He doesn't really lie awake at night grinding his teeth. I think the reaction is rather silly.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64025074
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It's not his family so he should mind his own business. The real life eqiivalent of do not feed the troll is only way to deal with people like harry and meghan and Diana in her day. So far royal family seem to be doing the just ignore them thing quite well. Even they are invited to the coronation and I hope it's on a we aren't changing anything we don't want to change just because tantrums are thrown basis. Show up and do as you are told when you are to!d wear what you are told and don't go snitching it's not fair or stay away. Probably Charles will be a useless parent and start pandering though and it's a slippery slope once you start letting people have their own way is no end to demands.

Jeremy says he was thinking of game of thrones which I have never seen so I don't know how that explains anything.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Well I am the opposite - I have seen Game of Thrones but not heard Jezzer's comment!

He is a foul little man in my book. I'd rather have Meghan.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

I think 'being a bit annoying' is not the same as deserving to be publicly shamed with people throwing stuff at you. I mean I get it - the secret of an effective rage quit is to tell people what you think of them and then walk away without looking back, which the two of them really seem unable to do. But so what? Lots of families have that kind of drama, it's just this bunch are doing it all in public. We can all choose not to watch.

On the other hand, the guy's actual mother was actually killed because photographers were chasing her. That's going to give anyone a different outlook on media attention.
(she/her)
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I don't mind Clarkson usually - as long as you realise he is deliberately controversial to provoke a reaction you can just take everything he says wth a large pinch of salt. This was over the top though - if you are a widely followed celebrity (which Clarkson is) you simply can't suggest someone should have a violent act committed against them because there is always some nutter who will take it literally. I don't care much for Meghan and I think Harry is a total pussy but I don't wish them physical harm. When I used to regale against film censorship as a child my mum always explained to me that some people are unable to distinguish between fact and fiction and that on-screen violence can be imitated in real life so censorship was needed to protect the population generally. I'm not sure I entirely agree with this now but it was a reasonable explanation to an 8 year old. I think the same argument applies here and Clarkson shouldn't have written this although I think the editor of The Sun who approved this for publication is at least equally culpable.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I didn't read the Clarkson article. The only comments I have are that I never cease to be amazed by the number of people who are interested in this not particularly attractive couple, hence Mr Clarkson finding it worth his while to write an article about them. Also I find it distasteful that the only way Prince Harry seems to be able to make sums of money that he considers to be reasonable is to tell tales about his family.

I try to ignore nearly everything about this; I don't read any gossip articles about the Sussexes but it sometimes is difficult to avoid headlines and news items on the BBC and other proper news outlets.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

It's the kind of remark I might make in private and everyone I know would get the Game of Thrones thing and know it was intentionally exaggerated. Still, if had huge numbers of followers I would have to give some thought to the consequences.

Though must we really make allowances for the stupid/crazy people all the time? Can't we educate them out of it?

I don't actually have an opinion on the feud itself as I avoid anything to do with this dysfunctional family. I'd like to give them a small island far from here where they can make speeches and give knighthoods to the turtles.

Why are we still keeping them in this day and age?

They could easily be replaced by a small stuffed Teddy Bear or perhaps a pot plant.