Gunpowder, Treason And Plot - November Chatty

Chat about anything and everything
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I announced that I was going to look away now because my religion is devout coward
:rofl
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Thanks to all those who came to Chat last night! It was lovely to see Patience - and her clever little drawings. We wished Furby had been there to post the Furby she drew :)
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Patience's ability with the chat workings had me in awe. I was a bit jealous. :blush
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Aww you are all very kind, in reality I just pressed buttons.
I’m off to see if the black text is there…
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

And it is! WD Pani! 🤴
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

The stickers are a little smaller now too. I think they are better that way, but see how it goes.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I fell asleep because I am an old person who nods off these days. In the budget the chancellor announced that far too many oldish people are economically inactive and he is asking for a review about how these people can go back to work to help UK economy. Good luck to him with that. Employers don't want older people because they aren't as good workers so it's not just idle old people not wanting to work but that they are unwanted too so I think the review needs to look at what employers expect as well as thinking of ways to "encourage" older people to take impossible jobs. Even if all the older people try for jobs they won't be filling the available vacancies will they for same reasons that existing unemployed claimants aren't able to be taking them but even more so.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I thought it was the end of the world just now because my phone had one of those emergency alerts. It didn't tell me what to do so I haven't been able to do anything. The alerts are very persistent with a horrible ring tone and vibrating even of to!d to be silent and won't shut up until I pressed ok which I don't like doing on things that appear. If it's the real end of the world goodbye everyone but I can't see anything on twitter so I guess it was just a test.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

The world is still here Furbs. Unless you need the trains before Christmas and after the New Year, you have only the pandemic, energy shortage, the war in Ukraine, and inflation to worry about.
Oh, and one of the contestants on Strictly has covid.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

STPD spent all day rearranging a planned theatre and Ancient Aunt visit in London because obviously it was all booked for Train Strike Days. :rolleyes

We've never got over the last 'cold' and have been ill ten days with yet another terrible coughing thing. Barely get any sleep because cough all night repetitively and convulsively. Only relief comes in sucking a particular type of throat pill furiously which works a bit but daren't drift off in case I choke on it. Juliet and Sam have the exact same thing. It's probably Covid but not tested.

Was in a rare moment of sleep this afternoon when a huge BANG! of thunder put all the power off. Sounded like it was in the garden right next to the house, it was so close!
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The Merries are in the wars and I hope they are soon out of them and healthy again. :grouphug
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Oh dear, poor Merries. Big well distanced group hug called for. :grouphug
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Poor merries. Get well soon again.

I have still got my cold that I got a few days after my flu vaccine end of October and I keep thinking its gone and can breathe and worry less about depleting the stocks of tissues and then its back again. Its more annoying than being ill really and having to keep tissues in every room. Very strange though never had this before I get sick and then well again (Colds) or stay sick for weeks(flu) never had this coming back after a day or so better sort of cold before. Mine sounds a totally different nicer virus to the merries coughs but maybe viruses are learning from each other and found a way to stick around longer. I hope not its bad enough one bout isnt it.

I hope STPD can get her London trip. The strikes are cruel in striking various days but then on the working days trains are in the wrong place after a strike so cant rely on them running to times. But then havent been able to do that for a very long time really one is just glad any trains run at all. Royal Mail are doing the same all sorts of different days strikes when they need to be delivering xmas cards. They are going to priortise parcels surprise surprise.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Awww, thank you all ! :bighug
never had this coming back after a day or so better sort of cold before.
You too? it's so strange, isn't it! The exact same virus, which is quite distinct in the symptoms it produces, seems to be cycling over and over in us.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

@Merry, it’s rubbish being ill.

I hope it improves soon and you can start to enjoy things.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Thank you, Patience :hugs

Interesting fitness test this morning, I'm going to Tewkesbury - first time out of the house in weeks - to Tewkesbury Abbey for a short concert by Juliet's brass band. If coughing, will sit in car. And will be Beaked throughout.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I hope the concert is a success for everybody, Merry! :grouphug
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

How is j is she recovered now she won't be able to play brass bands with a cough will she.

Merry is very responsible wearing beaks and hiding away in cars. Sadly most people don't even try to stay home protect the NHS save lives which is why we are riddled with infections in UK and it shouldn't have taken covid to notice this though not sure we really have I thought I was better and went to banks and nose started up again so I got back home as quick as possible. Maybe I am allergic to cold outsides because it settled down once I got home.

Banks don't want customers these days do they. There is a queue and staff asking what you are in queue for and saying oh you have to make an appointment for that and we have no appointments available. If they got the staff working on counters instead of walking round asking people to go away again it would be a better idea. In the old days there was a queue and when it was your turn it was your turn for whatever you needed there was none of this that's a job we don't like doing so please go away. I suppose I should be glad they were asking in the queue to save me queuing up only to be told go away.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

J is much better and I could hear Euph boomily tootling out his low notes so presumably her breath is back. Sam seemed unwell today (but didn't come to the concert.) I managed well for the first two sessions and even managed to spend some money in the gift shop but faded soon after and came home leaving Juliet to go alone to the 'special school' the band were playing at next for their Christmas fayre.

A note on craft fairs in general: the abbey was absolutely crammed with stalls of beautiful things people had made, but surely in our austere times people won't be buying beautiful but useless things any more? :sad I didn't see a thing I would have spent money on (except we did buy three nice cupcakes, I ate mine in the cloisters.)

bandabbey2.jpg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I'm pleased the concert went well for you and I hope there are no nasty virus after effects.

Meanwhile in OC land I had the results of my blood test this morning. Jolly Julie told me the readings were excellent and she thinks I am no longer diabetic; my kidneys look OK and my cholesterol level is down as well (3.8). I am stopping my one Metformin tablet a day with immediate effect and in February I have to arrange another blood test and follow-up appointment to confirm the blood test results for the test I've had recently. We think the main reason for the improvement in my diabetes is my weight loss; I can't think of any other reason because I haven't really changed my diet except to eat more salads and vegetables in general, and to cut down on treats like cakes and biscuits and custard tarts. I have my next B12 jab on 16 December so I shall get them to weigh me as well.

Julie was very pleased - she said it made a pleasant change for her to tell patients to cease or reduce medication instead of increasing the number of pills they have to take.