Energy price hikes - how much for YOU

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

That is my assumption, too. I really don’t think it was well advertised. My house insurance is due next month, I wonder if they will ask.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

That'll be CO (carbon monoxide, not CO2. I'm not sure what smoke alarms measure, particulates or CO2, but carbon monoxide detectors are completely different. Given my unfavourable experience I don't like the requirements for sealed units.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Quite right, Eccs. That was a typo on my part and I meant CO detector.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Merry corrected me when I said CO2 :lol
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I enjoyed correcting Pani so SO much :rofl

(I don't get the chance often!)
we don't want merry being poisoned
aww Furby :hugs

I have smoke alarms that won't be stopped from doing that torture-beep thing all through the night; more than once I have wrenched them off the ceiling, attacked them with a hammer, cut the wires and thrown them outside - where sometimes one can hear a forlorn 'beep'! going through the night.

Thanks for the advice, Eccs. I now have one coming with replaceable batteries :up
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Way back in the olden days we had a gas bottle heater. At the time we only had a gas fire down stairs because my mum refused to have electric heating because of costs. When we got a bit better off she got a gas bottle heater for upstairs but it caused really bad condensation. Water poured down the walls not just the windows so she got rid of the bottle heater and got a gas wall heater.

I have an oil heater which I find better than the fan heater in the living room. My gas fire has been condemned and can't just be replaced without a new chimney. Like the gas cooker it's regulation after regulation now stopping gas appliances being used unless you rebuilt the entire house. They should have just been honest and banned gas and been done with it it's where the government wants to go. Other appliances than heating boilers don't get publicity but they cant be replaced by heat pumps even if people have 10k to spare and can get a workman. (This is tougher than having 10k believe me). So when gas hearing is replaced with heat pumps it will all be electric or nothing for the rest.

I hope in the budget they announce what's happening in April and who the so called poorest will be even if it's bad news. People can choose not so spend energy bills money on Xmas parties then can't they but I suppose most of them won't anyway so government will choose to let people spend spend spend for Xmas and then reply them how many extra thousands bills will be.

I wonder if they make people always be in credit now because if people aren't in credit now they certainly won't be able to afford new April bills plus paying for the debts ran up on top. I prefer to be in credit but in previous years they got snotty when I tried to pay debt saying everyone has fluctuated bills don't be worrying etc computer says no just pay more each month next year. The energy bills computer is a very silly computer that has never been able to do my bills with winter heating.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

2C4H10 + 13O2 → 8CO2 + 10H2O - enough said...
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

One of the plans is to replace mains gas as we know it (don't know it's formula but it will have a c in it won't it all the fuss seems to be about the carbon) with hydrogen so what will that make added to gases in the atmospher including oxygen. Wil homes be even more damp.

Houses are getting insulated and there is terrible fuss about not enough free money given to more insulation and the previous protestors even protested over it. The current lot are going straight for just stop oil let everyone freeze and be unable to travel. But if we insulate more that's more problems too as we saw in Grenfell but also tha houses will be damp and mouldy if people don't taken action to stay more cold and dirty than they would like. There are lots of campaigns to help people stop draughts but it was the draughts that kept us safe
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Good point. Insulate to save heat but ventilate to stop diseases. Which is it to be Prime Minister?
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

A care home in furbyland is opening up as a warm hub for people who can't afford energy bills. It wasn't clear how they decide who qualifies will they means test people at the doors. I wondered at the wisdom of it though because one minute no one is allowed in care homes too much covid then they are letting people in just to keep warm. There's also a church offering to be a warm hub but aren't churches always very cold though or was that just the ones I was made to go in.

It's the budget today so hopefully we will find out whether we can afford the bills in April or not. It's a difficult calculation because will be more savings money due to interest rates but they will tax that and unlikely to cover the energy bill increases. It's all a moving target anyway isn't it. Remember when it was going to be over 2000 and that was a huge increase but now we are capped at 2500 (as an average person) and it's seen as a massive subsidy that can't carry on. 6000 was originally promised for January.

I don't really understand constant increases especially energy but other things like food and chemicals too. I can see that unforseen circumstances mean they have to go up but then once they are up why do they keep going up when it's the same unforseen circumstances which are now seen.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I got the first power saving challenge for tomorrow 5:30-6:30 pm from E'on Energy to save 40% of my usual 0.18 KW at this time and earn 25p. If there's one challenge a week then I'll save £1 in a month in order to not use the kettle and microwave oven at teatime. This is bloody ridiculous and I decided that it's pointless going on with it so I opted out of any future tasks. I only use about 4KW/h a day anyway so a big portion of my electricity spend is the standing charge which isn't included. If anyone else is signed up for this hopefully yours will be better.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I am not on smart meter so haven't been invited to the save energy save the national grid club. When I first heard of it before I dismissed the idea as out of scope for furbies I did think it would favour people already wasteful and using lots so they can cut down more and people already careful wouldnt be better. And Eccles has shown this is so. It's not much of a life without a hot drink and a snack just to save a pound so quite right Eccles.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

When they started floating this idea I decided there was no point to it for me because I use only £1 worth of electricity a day. No big appliances, just light, the TV, computer, fridge-freezer and that is it. I refuse to switch the TV and the computer off and sit in the dark for an hour.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The chancellor has said people (apart from those on benefits) will have to take responsibility for their own energy usage and cut down to what they can afford. There is a UK target of 15% reduced energy usage but as we have millions more people using energy each year it will be more than that for those of us already using energy this year.

Regular readers might remember I suggested many years ago before all this ukraine business and we we still in the fictional universe of saying switching especially to illegal suppliers was the answer to getting cheaper bills that we should have a cheaper tariff for the basic minimum energy needed for life. This has been mentioned now as an idea a few times but they don't seem to have a proper plan for it yet. People can go without heating but even then there is a minimum amount of lighting cooking washing needed to survive and these days everything requires phones or internet so need energy for that and the fridge.

Manchester news did a story on people saving energy under the new scheme and they were all saying things like they sat with only the fridge on for an hour and got 14p. Many will be like Eccles and opting back out again so looks like power cuts will be the only solution this winter tea times.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Just received an email from my energy provider. Energy prices in Austria have risen by almost 300 per cent! Awesome!
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

That's a whopping great increase, TRavine. Over here we have several energy companies selling gas and electricity to Joe Public and their top whack for overall revenue per annum per average household is fixed by the regulator Ofgem. A year ago the cap was approximately £1,300 but the energy crisis has thrown all that into disarray because the Government subsidises domestic energy costs otherwise the number of people who would become destitute/die of hyperthermia/starvation etc would be politically unacceptable. The cap from January 2023 would have been something like £4,300 IIRC but subsidies are keeping it to £2,500 now and it will go up to £3,000 next March.

How this affects individuals depends on their actual contracts with their suppliers, their actual consumption, and whether they qualify for extra help from the Government ie taxpayers. I'm on a fixed price contract until early June 2023 and the contract is actually slightly cheaper for me than the cap. I shall be exposed to reality next summer!
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Our UK prices have risen 300% just the government subsidy keeping it down to only 200%. Why doesnt Austria government help their people. Interesting to hear this from Austria. The only one I remember on the news was France who pegged increases to 4% or something before we had the subsidies here and the UK news said how nice is France.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Furby wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:30 pm Our UK prices have risen 300% just the government subsidy keeping it down to only 200%. Why doesnt Austria government help their people. Interesting to hear this from Austria. The only one I remember on the news was France who pegged increases to 4% or something before we had the subsidies here and the UK news said how nice is France.
Oh, they will. There will be subsidies. They are still working things out I suppose.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

The French government imposed price freezes on EDF who in turn sued the government because it was being forced to sell energy at a loss.
Guess who owns EDF?
Yup, the French government.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -price-cap

I have no idea of the result of this but it is refreshing to see that government incompetence is not a solely UK occure
nce.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Even though there are lots of different political parties and different countries they do all seem to do just a bit different varieties of the same unsuccessful plan dont they. We saw this with covid. Everywhere seems scared to say well we just aren't doing that and even if they do say that soon have to u turn. Our last but two prime minister Boris Johnson who was pm when covid broke started out saying he wanted to be.mayor of jaws (the shark film) and then we got a lockdown and furlough money.

Our chancellor Jeremy hunt was on select committee saying the poorest will be protected with free money for next year and cheaper energy tariffs will be setup for them going forwards as already happens with broadband bills but everyone else will have to reduce their consumption to keep bills down to what is affordable to them. He gave the example that the 400 pounds government is giving this year can easily be achieved by cutting back consumption. It's only possible if people already are wasteful or use a lot of heating which they can stop using though so I can see this turning toxic for the gov. UK has a target to reduce energy consumption by 15% which would have been difficult with so many extra people using energy every year and they are lucky for energy crisis giving them chance to force paying people to cut back.