merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

"Stray" Russian missiles kill two in Poland

Post by merry »

The Graun had the least doom-mongery headline I could find

Stray Russian missiles landed in Poland

Most of the others are rather scarier, though this is scary enough
Stray Russian missiles were feared to have crossed into Poland on Tuesday, in what would be the first time Nato territory has been struck during the Ukraine war, as the Kremlin unleashed an intense attack on Ukraine that left 7m homes without power.

Two people were killed in an explosion in an eastern Polish village, prompting the government in Warsaw to hold an emergency meeting – while the 100-missile attack on Ukraine was so serious that power supplies in a third country, Moldova, were also cut.

The explosion in Poland destroyed a tractor in the village of Przewodów, about 3 miles (5km) from the border, on a day when the western Ukrainian city of Lviv was hit.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Things seemed to have calmed down somewhat this morning. The big question is where the missile came from, Russia or Ukraine. I guess either is possible. The other question is was it deliberate, if it was, there is no way that Russia would admit these. It’s time to let the diplomats do their work and for everyone to stop sabre rattling.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

It’s time to let the diplomats do their work and for everyone to stop sabre rattling.
Agreed. I guess papers sell better if we can use BIG SCARY HEADLINES, but it's not healthy.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It looks like amid all the missiles flying into Ukraine from Russian sources one of Ukraine's attempted countermeasures went awry, landing in Poland. There's a lot of recrimination rhetoric flying about but that looks the most likely scenario.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

"Stray" missiles kill two in Poland

Post by merry »

There seems to be some doubt about whose missiles they were.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

This kind of thing does happen to all countries and is generally treated as no one's fault. Though I prefer the view that if the crazy Russian leader wasn't murdering people it would not have happened so it's Russia's fault anyway.

I keep thinking that there must be generals & party officials sitting around discussing when it will be prudent to take him out and shoot him.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Surely falling out an open window is the preferred method these days.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Falling out of an open window has been the preferred method ever since they did it successfully to leading Czechoslovak politician Jan Masaryk (son of Thomas Masaryk, founder of Czechoslovakia more than 100 years ago) at the building the Communists were using as his prison in Prague in 1948. They gave him a State funeral.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.