Chat room - Upgraded

Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Panikos »

You won't find the chatroom much different, but there are a few extras.

The most important gain is that there is no need to register or log in. If you are logged into this board then you can go straight in and you'll have the same username. So any board member who wants to use the chatroom can just go in any time they like.

If for some reason you are not logged into the board then it will take you to the board login screen, but you can tick 'remember me' on that and probably never need to do it again. That's been improved a bit too as I was being logged out at intervals.

The main chatroom is called Hard Facts Chat, but there's now a second room called The Lounge and there could be more. We may never need even two, but it could be handy sometimes.

Chat Screen 1.png

Click
Chat Screen 3 dots.png

Chat Screen 2.png

Chat Screen 3.png

In Files & Media:

You can upload a file which you then click to post a download link for anyone to download.

You can post a thumbnail to a video or image which others can watch in a little side window of their own.

You can doodle and show that too. Lots of possibilities.

Chat works fine in a mobile phone browser but there''s also an app in = Google Play Store

Actually the app should NOT be used. The phone browser will be fine anyway.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by merry »

The Doodle thing is fun and we could have a little fun with a guessing game (my drawing is sooooo bad you'd probably be all day trying to guess it :rofl )

There's a proper Exit now, if you click the three dots top left you will see an Exit arrow at bottom left.

I really LOVE the map function, top right of screen. Click it and you will see a lovely world map with the avatars of the people IN chat displayed approximately where they are in the world. Even if you zoom in ALL the way it won't be quite accurate... which is safer... my actual location is about a mile north of where the map shows me when in full zoom. But fun, I love this!

world.png
Click the little world icon there and you will see this:
world2.png
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Wow, I love new chatroom. It's so amazing. I like that there can now upload files, can see map where we are and that drawing place. So cool! 😃 :clapping
Panikos wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:56 pm Chat works fine in a mobile phone browser but there''s also an app in = Google Play Store

Actually the app should NOT be used. The phone browser will be fine anyway.
Why not, Pani? That app is exactly what I need in phone and a tablet. It's more comfortable for me to be in chat! 😉
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Panikos »

Did you manage to make it work? I was rushed this morning, but it seemed to require a login like the old chat which is no use now. If you did I'll have a proper look at it later
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Panikos wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:59 pm Did you manage to make it work?
Yes, it works. I just downloaded it and there didn't need to login. It's already opened chat and there I was! :huh
Panikos wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:59 pm I was rushed this morning, but it seemed to require a login like the old chat which is no use now. If you did I'll have a proper look at it later
Well, yes, try it. I think all will be work! :up
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Panikos »

That is good news. We had some confusion here because the same people make at least two apps with similar names. Merry had the other app which didn't work. I had the right app but pointing to the wrong chatroom and all was chaos :lol

We'll be back in a bit to finish sorting it out.
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Yeah, it's really look like chaos. :rofl Well, I have this app if it's useful! 😉
Screenshot_20221115-185857.png
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Panikos »

Thank you! It was a relief to see that image! It helped me sort out which app was which. :up

There are a total of 3 related apps with 4 different icons. Two are in the google play store but the correct one is downloaded from the chat itself and that is the one you have.

I have the older version of the correct one which took me to the old chat room. Merry had one from the play store which wouldn't connect. :lol

Anyone who wants it should go into chat on their phone using their browser and then look at the top right for the drop down menu which includes "INSTALL APP"

I need a cuppa now and a bit of TV
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Furby »

What has happened to our old logins to the previous new chat. Are they deleted now or do we have passwords to somewhere elses chat.

It's really clever how it knows the location even with location switched off on devices isn't it. Can other places do that and everywhere knows where we are anyway. Google knows if I search for weather.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Chat room - Upgraded

Post by Panikos »

Furby the previous chat and logins were finally deleted today after I was sure everything was working. They were only ever on our site and not shared with the company that made the chat.

The location thing is interesting. I am logged onto google on my phone which is just next to me and also on this browser on my PC. If I do a search on here google knows I'm the same person who owns the phone and therefore where I am. That is both creepy and rather clever.

I don't know for a fact it connects the two, but I'm pretty sure.

I mostly dictate texts and emails to my phone to save typing. It's getting better and better at that. Sometimes I'll stumble over a word and the phone knows it anyway and how to spell it.... because I'm referring to something someone told me earlier in a text and the phone has read that text too :)