How do you keep positive in difficult times?

Chat about anything and everything
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

This just randomly came to me and I thought it could be interesting to talk about. We all know that the state the world is in at the moment, is - on many levels - rather worrying and unsettling, and it can often be hard to keep a positive mindset and not grow too anxious.

So what are things that you do in your everyday life to kind of "take a break" from all the dreadful stuff that's happening and go to your personal happy place?

For me, it is reading and writing. There are so many wonderful fictional worlds to escape to when reality becomes too much. Also, spending time outdoors, listening to my favourite music, spending time with family and friends, both in real life and online, a good cup of tea and some comfort snack and sometimes just a good, long nap are all things that help me personally.

What are some things you do to be kind to yourself?
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

That's an interesting question, TRavine! I'm lucky in that at present I don't have to worry about where the money is coming from to pay for life's essentials and I think a lot of personal unease stems from having to worry about money and where the next meal is coming from.

Leaving that aside, I just bury my head in the sand and avoid news items I think I'm going to dislike or get angry about. And every 2 or 3 weeks I have a nice Italian lunch on my way home from Knightwood after completing my not very onerous duties there. And at home I always have the company of Them; even when they are dozing on the furniture, or on me in the case of Mina, I find them a very calming influence. Midge was still a kitten in this pic.
Attachments
11062867_10206354683518648_8154327663623007413_n.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

The daily morning walk is my stress reliever. Over the years I've got to know and greet the various dog walkers and people off to get their morning papers. And the exercise keeps the blood pressure in check. Occasionally I get drenched if I time it wrongly but it's still worth the effort.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

OurCreature wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:31 pm That's an interesting question, TRavine! I'm lucky in that at present I don't have to worry about where the money is coming from to pay for life's essentials and I think a lot of personal unease stems from having to worry about money and where the next meal is coming from.

Leaving that aside, I just bury my head in the sand and avoid news items I think I'm going to dislike or get angry about. And every 2 or 3 weeks I have a nice Italian lunch on my way home from Knightwood after completing my not very onerous duties there. And at home I always have the company of Them; even when they are dozing on the furniture, or on me in the case of Mina, I find them a very calming influence. Midge was still a kitten in this pic.
Oh, most definitely, I agree! Trying to shut out the news as much as possible is the best thing one can really do. Bad things happen, whether or not we're completely up to date with them. So we might as well just ignore them as best as we can.

And those cats are adorable! It's true that pets can have such a calming effect. And treating yourself to some great food, that's lovely!
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

eccles wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:57 pm The daily morning walk is my stress reliever. Over the years I've got to know and greet the various dog walkers and people off to get their morning papers. And the exercise keeps the blood pressure in check. Occasionally I get drenched if I time it wrongly but it's still worth the effort.
Walking is the best thing! It really clears one's head. I love walking too!
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I read a fair bit and have now started jigsaws which are a wonderful way to clearing your mind if all the stresses and strains.
Simple things.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

What an interesting question!

I'm a happy sort of person generally but if I listen to the news lately it can start to send a sense of doom and dread over me, threatening that usual equilibrium.... (and unfortunately for me Mr m listens to the news ALL the time and will keep on picking out the gloomiest bits to TELL ME :bash with a sort of grim delight)

So: News Off (what you need to know trickles down anyway)

Like Tom, I escape a lot into writing, which not only sends me to another world, but is also pretty absorbing and needs a lot of concentration to get the words nicely arranged, so not much space for bad thoughts to intrude

Walking, yes! I love to walk and just look at things around me, animals, plants, and a glimpse of others' lives if you walk past a lighted window

I don't watch a lot of TV but if I have an absorbing series going on (Midwich Cuckoos at present) that is good.

Music - I love music and have it playing (earbud or headphones!) most of the day, but sometimes music calls forth emotions which if I'm feeling fragile is exactly what I don't want

Animals - the horses always need us, it's no good thinking 'I'm just too miserable to go out of the house today' so one has to force oneself out there, and there again, once there dealing with hay and poo and water there's not too much headspace for the anxious dread thoughts to drag one down.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

These certainly are difficult times. I don't normally get anxious about the world outside, but lately between the news and twitter it has been relentless. When I find myself shouting angrily at the screen I know it's time for a break.

TV for me is the most effective means. I keep a collection to choose from and find it comforting to watch an old favourite. Preferably something from before it became fashionable for every character to be beaten down by anxiety and doubt.

Simple themes and happy endings are what I look for now.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Panikos wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:33 pm These certainly are difficult times. I don't normally get anxious about the world outside, but lately between the news and twitter it has been relentless. When I find myself shouting angrily at the screen I know it's time for a break.

TV for me is the most effective means. I keep a collection to choose from and find it comforting to watch an old favourite. Preferably something from before it became fashionable for every character to be beaten down by anxiety and doubt.

Simple themes and happy endings are what I look for now.
Oh yes, TV can be a great escape too. Documentaries can be quite interesting. When in doubt, I tend to go for Hugh Grant movies, because they are hilarious and I love his dance moves! :rofl You just know what you're going to get with him. No rude awakenings there.
Animals - the horses always need us, it's no good thinking 'I'm just too miserable to go out of the house today' so one has to force oneself out there, and there again, once there dealing with hay and poo and water there's not too much headspace for the anxious dread thoughts to drag one down.
That is actually quite a good thing, Merry. Just like with dog walking - there are no excuses. And sometimes we just need a little push to get out and do something, but in the end it makes us feel better.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I left out something important - the other sort of music - I am so so bad at the piano, taught myself from a tutorial book and never got beyond simple pieces, and seem incapable of playing any piece, ever, without a mistake :lol but literally an hour can go by when I just sit there trying to master stuff or learn a new piece.
And sometimes we just need a little push to get out and do something, but in the end it makes us feel better.
I totally agree with that. I like staying in far too much these days. But I feel much happier and more pleased with myself if I get out and do something for a while.

Jigsaws can be good too, Patience. Or a complicated Lego set. I don't do either but my angsty daughters do - and crosswords and word puzzles and so on.
find it comforting to watch an old favourite.
- yes! or read an old favourite book - I have all my childhood books and read them every few years! Noel Streatfeild, Antonia Forest, etc. Currently reading all through the Agatha Christies. It's the 'old favourite' part that matters.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I agree with Merry - I can play the piano and my synth for hours and think 15 minutes has gone by. I like going to the pub as no-one there is interested in talking about the state of the world - they're far more interested in sport and gossip. and if all else fails there's always gin. I played at the care home again on Saturday - that's very rewarding. I'm goiing to make more of an effort to do that more often - sadly influenced by a particularly tear jerking ad for age concern. I say "sadly" as I try not to be influenced by ads but I found this one about loneliness particularly poignant so I'll take my lead from OC's sterling efforts and do my bit. I actually don't feel too pessimistic about the world - the Russians are going to get forced out of the Ukraine, energy prices will fall as will house prices, interest rates will rise to a more normal level, share prices are already recovering which means the pension worries will fade. It's not so bad and let's face it there's some crisis or another every 10-20 years and we always come out the other end OK. Global warming worrries me as does importing 250,000 largely unskilled immigrants every year when we're only building 100,000 houses a year but I don't think I can personally affect that soI 'll just keep living my life and change the thngs I can.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

It's not so bad and let's face it there's some crisis or another every 10-20 years and we always come out the other end OK
Your post really cheered me up, WR :hugs