Fixed heavy battery drain in Android phone

Tips and Solutions for software or hardware problems
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Since upgrading my phone to Android 12 in October it has been showing far higher battery drain than previously. I tried several recommended battery saving things, none of which worked and I was preparing to hack the bootloader and force it back to Android 11, a somewhat risky procedure. I only bought the phone in August 21 from new so the battery should surely last longer than that. One recommendation I found however was to reset the phone to factory defaults. (settings/system/reset options/erase all data - factory reset)
The only thing I wanted to save were my contacts list. I enabled Google's backup and just to be sure I backed up the contacts list from the contacts app then did the reset.
After the reset all the introduction setup stuff had to be gone through again. I restored my google email and like magic the contacts came back from the cloud, so no need to do a restore. I've added my main email address but have yet to add the additional apps that I was using. There are only a few, NHS, Sygic satnav, Geotracker and a couple of others which I'll add later. I'll do those individually in case one of them was the cause of the battery drain.
So far so good. I fully charged the phone nearly five hours ago and it's been on standby and still showing 100%.

A simple fix that I wouldn't have thought of had someone on the web not come up with it.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Well that was a better result :clapping

I have heard mention of battery drain with android 12 and other complaints too for that matter.

I upgraded my Oneplus CE and it looked awful and seemed to be struggling with just about everything. Perhaps had I done the reset it would have sorted itself out, but Oneplus make downgrading relatively easy so I went that route. I'll have to let it upgrade again sometime but when I've more time and in a better mood to deal with it. I'm also hoping it will have been improved a bit when I do.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Looks like I spoke too soon. Battery drain has resumed, albeit at a lesser rate than previously. I have two sims, one for unlimited calls and SMS and a second for data only that was part of a two-for deal. When I did the reset I didn't remove the second sim and it wasn't recognised properly. I removed it, did a soft reset then reinserted it and it was then recognised as new and I was able to configure it. At that point the battery started showing increased usage. So the second sim might be the culprit. Tests are continuing.
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of online info for customisation of the Motorola Edge series so I'll have to make do with Android 12 for now. It could be worse.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I disabled the second sim slot this morning and the battery drain all but ceased immediately. It would therefore appear that Android 12's handling of more than one sim is questionable, and would explain why not everyone has the problem.