Guy Fawkes

Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Guy Fawkes

Post by Panikos »

Observed in the United Kingdom every year on November 5, Guy Fawkes Day—also called Bonfire Night or Fireworks Night—commemorates a failed assassination attempt from over 400 years ago. On November 5, 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of radical English Catholics tried to assassinate King James I by blowing up Parliament's House of Lords. The plot went awry and all of the conspirators were executed. Soon after, Britons began to celebrate Fawkes' demise and the survival of their king by burning effigies, lighting bonfires and setting off fireworks—a tradition which has continued to this day.

Guy Fawkes Day A Brief History
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Guy Fawkes

Post by merry »

Fireworks have started here, very loud. I shall go and look from my window.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Guy Fawkes

Post by merry »

Anyone remember these. I felt sort of shivery and magical when I saw them, just as I did when we brought this very box home.
foreworks.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Guy Fawkes

Post by Patience »

My brother sent me this today. Who knew? 🤷🏼‍♀️
Attachments
B2419A47-E20C-4355-984B-EF56240B5188.jpeg
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Guy Fawkes

Post by Furby »

When I was a small child we did have some indoor fireworks tiny table fireworks in a saucer of water on an oven tray. Then we got a nice new Formica table and that was the end of them I didn't miss them.

I heard a few loud fireworks last night but it's rained so much I doubt many bonfires would burn and there's no fog this morning which is usual next day. The big displays in parks have been cancelled due to costs.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Guy Fawkes

Post by eccles »

There was a new weird firework let off in the next street that I hadn't heard before. It was a continuous whine not unlike a jet engine that went on and on. I looked out of the window and there was a continuous stream of sparkly things firing up into the sky. For it to last so long it must have been a huge firework.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Guy Fawkes

Post by OurCreature »

I've seen those whiny fireworks in Iceland. Round here we had the most fireworks on Friday night, I guess they had a big display at the football ground. Hardly any fireworks last night.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.