Where do we all live?

Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:45 am Pippa, you live in the states?! why did I think you live in England? Evem though you set your N&S story in the states...I still thought that you were in England near Merry.

ME
Yeah I do. Been here quite a while now. 🤗
Pippa, you live in very beautiful place too. And that pic with those Victorian houses so beautiful like theses with countryside. Really so wonderful. :loveeyes And I also thought that you live in England! 😁
Does it help that I very much hope to go back when the time is right? 🥰🤗
Last edited by Philipaholt on Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

TRavine wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:47 am Pippa, you live in the States?! 😲😂 I think that's a surprise to everyone! 😂😂

It also makes the wheels in my brain turn in weird ways...your husband is American...y'all live in the South...you had children pretty young...you once mentioned that the shower scene from ROL really happened....just HOW autobiographical are your modern AUs??? 😂😂😂 (Probably just my brain making things up though!)

Those pics are beautiful!!! 😍😍😍
I feel like I've just confessed something very naughty. 😅😅 I've been in the States for a while now. Besides The American husband, living somewhat in the South (although where I live isn't considered deep south apparently. Was a union state in the war) having young kids that all look like their father, and The Worst Shower Incident of All Time, that's where most of the similarities to my stories end....

I'm not into maths at all, me husband isn't tall, I've never been shot (thank God), my parents are still married and alive...Maggie's not me. I promise. I just gave her a circumstance I understand well enough to write.
Last edited by Philipaholt on Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

Ha! Tom! The same thoughts went through my head...like...wait! WHAT?!
That's fun Philipa; it is true. Using some of your own experiences can make it easier to write. I love how you managed to do that in your N&S story.

We got our first snow...it is still snowing. I am dreadfully scared of driving in the beginning snow/winter weather. I took my son to the train station...well, he assumed because I was brushing off one of the vehicles for later. He put his backpack inside and started helping me (a tall person usually helps...he's 6'4"), so I didn't say anything and drove him to the station (it isn't far -- it's the bus getting there that would be the pain). I have to drive my husband to the train station to get to his downtown conference, which means I have to drive girls to school. My #6 is having a sleepover with #7 and #8 so that he can take care of #8 while I'm out and it might take me a long time. I wanted to go shopping for my husband's bday food...snow...what a happy birthday present.

I should have posted a photo of snow-covered vehicles while snowing in the dark...something so neat about that look.

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

Pippa, what BEAUTIFUL pics. Truly lovely. Sighing with joy at all our lovely places.

*holds hand up meekly* I knew Pippy lived in the States! No surprise to me. I think it must have come up in one of our exchanges on AO3 before we had the Mill to chat in.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

Forsterianna, your photographs are absolutely wonderful! I love the Christmas ones ! :hugs
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

Hope you are safe driving in the :snowing, Mimosa. I too hate driving on icy/snowy roads. We live rurally and have often been snowed in and often had to have a tractor dig us out, then slither miles along an unsafe narrow icetrack to get to the station to pick up Daughter 1 or D2.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

,*holds hand up meekly* I knew Pippy lived in the States! No surprise to me. I think it must have come up in one of our exchanges on AO3 before we had the Mill to chat in.
I don't remember that 😂 but you're a sharp one, Seb. I first came for an exchange programme and then came back for a handsome boy with lovely eyes 🤗🤗
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:16 pm
,*holds hand up meekly* I knew Pippy lived in the States! No surprise to me. I think it must have come up in one of our exchanges on AO3 before we had the Mill to chat in.
I don't remember that 😂 but you're a sharp one, Seb. I first came for an exchange programme and then came back for a handsome boy with lovely eyes 🤗🤗
Aw, that's adorable. And that he was worth coming back for. :love

ME
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

merry wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:01 pm Forsterianna, your photographs are absolutely wonderful! I love the Christmas ones ! :hugs
Thank you, merry. :cuddle Yeah, that's how looks my city in Christmas time! :snowing
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by OurCreature »

And now for an interloper amongst the talented writers...............like Merry I live in England. My town (technically a town council, one of the most populous in England so I'm told) Totton is just west of Southampton, separated by the River Test. The photo is one I have stolen of part of the not particularly distinguished town centre; but what I need is there with my bank, the doctor's surgery, the pharmacy and the post office all within easy walking distance of where the photo was taken.

I have lived in my house for more than 40 years, and I bought it from a colleague at work - he won the bronze medal in the decathlon in the Edmonton Commonwealth Games in 1978, and had the temerity to beat the gold medallist Daley Thompson in the 110 metres hurdles.

And here is a well-known English limerick.

There was a young lady of Riga
Who went for a ride on a tiger
They returned from the ride
With the lady inside.
And a smile on the face of the tiger.
Attachments
Totton-Town-Centre.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by ColleenD »

mimosa wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:36 pm My #6 is having a sleepover with #7 and #8 so that he can take care of #8 while I'm out
Mim, how many kids do you have?
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by Philipaholt »

OurCreature wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:31 pm And now for an interloper amongst the talented writers...............like Merry I live in England. My town (technically a town council, one of the most populous in England so I'm told) Totton is just west of Southampton, separated by the River Test. The photo is one I have stolen of part of the not particularly distinguished town centre; but what I need is there with my bank, the doctor's surgery, the pharmacy and the post office all within easy walking distance of where the photo was taken.

I have lived in my house for more than 40 years, and I bought it from a colleague at work - he won the bronze medal in the decathlon in the Edmonton Commonwealth Games in 1978, and had the temerity to beat the gold medallist Daley Thompson in the 110 metres hurdles.

And here is a well-known English limerick.

There was a young lady of Riga
Who went for a ride on a tiger
They returned from the ride
With the lady inside.
And a smile on the face of the tiger.
I welcome an interlude of all sorts OC..you're welcome to interrupt anytime 🤗🤗
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

ColleenD wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:15 pm
mimosa wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:36 pm My #6 is having a sleepover with #7 and #8 so that he can take care of #8 while I'm out
Mim, how many kids do you have?
I have 8. ages almost 20 down to almost 6...the top and bottom having birthdays in December.
You have 9, if I recall? And homeschool as well. I homeschooled all my kids except the oldest (he went to school in his second grade 10 year) until last year, and now I'm homeschooling the three youngest. My girls (except the youngest) go to school now. But I've graduated one homeschooler.
OurCreature wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:31 pm
Okay that's random! And since I live here in said city. (My sister was born in '78)
Welcome, OurCreature!!

ME
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

I'm in Wellington, New Zealand. I moved here in my late twenties because I always liked the feeling of the hills rising up around me, and the clear feeling of the air - no regrets!

I couldn't figure out how to post pictures, but here's the view from near my house:
https://places.nz/places/wellington-cit ... hill-11773
(she/her)
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by ColleenD »

mimosa wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:11 pm
I have 8. ages almost 20 down to almost 6...the top and bottom having birthdays in December.
You have 9, if I recall?
Yes, I have 9, ages 24 down to 7. Two have birthdays in November (one just yesterday, he turned 21), three in December. Six boys and three girls. What is your breakdown?
ComicLitChick

Where do we all live?

Post by ComicLitChick »

Thought I'd let you know a few Hard Facts, (haha) about me: [1] I live in Salt Lake City, Utah; [2] have never written fanfic; [3] like reading; [4] am a workaholic but love being able to pop in an out of AoO for short breaks. (Free time is an inconsistent commodity for me.) Thanks to all contributors for my pleasure reading time. ;)
Attachments
Wasatch Mountains
Wasatch Mountains
Snow already
Snow already
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by mimosa »

Welcome ComicLitChic!!

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by TRavine »

ComicLitChick wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:30 am Thought I'd let you know a few Hard Facts, (haha) about me: [1] I live in Salt Lake City, Utah; [2] have never written fanfic; [3] like reading; [4] am a workaholic but love being able to pop in an out of AoO for short breaks. (Free time is an inconsistent commodity for me.) Thanks to all contributors for my pleasure reading time. ;)
A very warm welcome to ComicLitChick! 😍 So happy that you joined US! Utah is beautiful!! Are those current pics with the snow already? 😲😲

I will keep working on our map 😊
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by merry »

Welcome ComicLitChick! We are so pleased to have you here! (Sebastian here, either merry or Seb is fine.)

Readers are what we need.... I LOVE readers :hugs I'm so glad you have joined. Salt Lake City.... I can say I have been there... just about! the California Zephyr (I was taking it with my daughter from Chicago to SF) stopped there very late one night and we couldn't miss the opportunity to de-train for 10 mins (you don't get many) so we stood on the platform in the dark with the smokers and experienced a great sense of awe - WE ARE IN SALT LAKE CITY!

Daisy, that looks beautiful where you live. My best friend from childhood (she was my bridesmaid) moved to NZ and has never returned. There is a reason they picked NZ to be the Shire for LOTR is there not. (adding photographs - under the reply box you type in, to the left, is Attachments. Click on that and then Add Files, browse to pic on your pc and click Open. It will appear under the box, with Place Inline next to it. Place Inline is better as then you control where it appears in your post AND it strips off the 'attachment' border.)

Tom's map is going to look very busy soon :D
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Where do we all live?

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

merry wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:56 am (adding photographs - under the reply box you type in, to the left, is Attachments. Click on that and then Add Files, browse to pic on your pc and click Open. It will appear under the box, with Place Inline next to it. Place Inline is better as then you control where it appears in your post AND it strips off the 'attachment' border.)
Thanks! In that case, here are a few more pics... (from my partner, he has a better eye than I do)
IMG_9324.jpeg
IMG_9320.jpeg
IMG_8942.jpeg
IMG_8741.jpeg
IMG_8584 (1).jpeg
(she/her)