Halloween 2022

Chat about anything and everything
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by Panikos »

Halloween’s origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in). The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago, mostly in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1.

This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth

Halloween Origins

OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by OurCreature »

The Celts lived all over the place in Europe at some time or other. One group ended up in Anatolia in Turkiye in the part called Galatia - which was named after some Gauls (Celts) from Thrace who settled there in the 3rd century BC.

Gradually the Gauls in Europe were submerged by other peoples or pushed ever further away by incoming peoples until they were confined to the places in NW Europe now associated with them.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Halloween 2022 - are you doing anything?

Post by merry »

Well done Pani for this - this board is like a swan gliding smoothly across the water - with Pani paddling away furiously beneath where he can't be seen :)

Believe it or not he has rewritten Dora so SHE put up the tokens automatically for this, and for Asy's birthday - just like on the old board - this is quite some accomplishment and a big step forward.

Anyway, Halloween... I don't 'celebrate' this any more, not now my kids are grown, but we used to make a lot of it when they were small, decorating the house with home-made witches and spiders in black card, candles everywhere, fondue supper and a hollowed-out SWEDE for a lantern when STPD was very small. This used to take me all afternoon, scraping and delving into its woody interior!! the things we do for our children to make these occasions magical! A while later pumpkins became the thing to use, but that woody swede lantern was actually more manageable and solid for a small child to carry.

One more Halloween memory - STPD aged 6 was learning violin, and was learning Witches' Dance from the Suzuki book . She played it at a concert and was allowed to dress up in full witchy gear to play in which enormously pleased her :D ahhh, my little witch! I hope you see this, STPD! :cuddle

[' Dance[/url]
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by Furby »

I remember swede lanterns they were a lot of work weren't they. And we had to have the swede scoops in the stew the next day and its not the nicest tasting veg. Don't even remember pumpkins being there for any reason when I was younger they were something Cinderellas coach was made out of. And eating apples out of a washing up bowl full of water.

At my work in more recent times it was felt we could do our jobs easier dressed up. I still have my witches hat and skeleton gloves. Of all the silly things we had to pretend to be enthusiastic about to help jobs it was one of the least worst. So hooray for Halloween.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by TRavine »

We usually carve a pumpkin, but we didn't get a big enough one this year. I'm going to make pumpkin pasties, and we prepared some candy for the trick-or-treaters. Halloween is not a huge thing here. Many Austrians complain that it's "not an Austrian tradition" and refuse to participate, which is sad, because many kids are faced with closed doors. (Austrians once again :roll: )
We have had some pretty big Halloween celebrations in our family over the years (often Harry Potter themed), but since my sister is working this year, and everyone else is also pretty busy, it won't be too big this time.

These are from a couple of years ago. I was dressing up as Snape :rofl
hallow.jpg
73361247_996434214039939_5138164771723411456_n.jpg
74634405_996434384039922_3031808802836971520_n.jpg
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by eccles »

You made a good Severus Snape. I can hardly believe that the last Potter movie was in 2011. Where did those 11 years go?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by Wildrover »

You do indeed make a good Snape - you've even got the Rickman sneer just about perfect
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by TRavine »

Wildrover wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:48 pm You do indeed make a good Snape - you've even got the Rickman sneer just about perfect
Gotta love Alan Rickman! I have always had this dream of having his voice as a GPS. "Take - the next - llleft. Wrooong Exxxit you bloody fool, ten points from Gryffindor!" :rofl
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by merry »

I love those Halloween pics, Tom! The table AND the wonderful outfits! :up :clapping
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Halloween 2022

Post by Philipaholt »

I entirely missed Halloween with the littles this year (was traveling with me husband). They were a bit sad but their auntie brought them lots of candy which helped. Next year...

Tom, you and my kids would definitely get along. They run about in their handmade Harry Potter school robes all the time!
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC