Dr Who

Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Dr Who

Post by Furby »

The final episode of doctor 13 was on last night.

It was another of those episodes where I wondered what is going on here and probably have to watch it a few times to understand the plots. Maybe these mad episodes don't actually have plots and that why I struggle to follow them. I prefered the episode of dalek timeloop in a warehouse at least that was simple.

Some of the previous characters where actors are still alive and available were in the episode. They all looked very old except David Tennant at the end.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Dr Who

Post by merry »

The plots and arcs began to get so complicated I lost interest well before now. I'm not that great with timey-wimey stuff at the best of times!

It is a shame because for a few seasons (CE, DT, MS) we had some amazing plots and stories.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Dr Who

Post by OurCreature »

Some of the previous characters where actors are still alive and available were in the episode. They all looked very old except David Tennant at the end.
Some of them are getting on a bit. Sophie Aldred (Ace) is 60. Janet Fielding (Tegan) is 69. Colin Baker is 79. Peter Davison is 71 and David Tennant's father-in-law. And hiding in the Companion Group at the end were Anneke Wills (Polly 1966/67) aged 81, Bonnie Langford (Mel 1986/87) aged 58, Katy Manning (Jo 1971/73) aged 76, and William Russell (Ian Chesterton from the very first episode and series, 1963/65) aged 97.

The critics liked Jodie Whittaker's finale. I enjoyed the episode, having decided to go with the flow and not worry about questions and inconsistencies until afterwards. The main unanswered question for me was how on earth the Master managed to escape from the destruction of Gallifrey in an earlier Special - but there you go. I think you had to be steeped in Doctor Who lore to have a hope of understanding what was really going on with all the former characters popping up everywhere and obscure references like the Master taunting Tegan about her compressed Auntie.

David Tennant is there for 3 specials in 2023 before Ncuti Gatwa takes over as the Doctor.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Dr Who

Post by eccles »

As OC says, there were a couple of plot holes, such as how did Tegan manage to shake off the sudden appearance of the Cybermen in the basement, and where on earth did Graham appear from in the volcano? But it was entertaining enough, and the last thing I expected was the reappearance of David Tennant so well done BBC for keeping that under wraps. Sophie Aldred and Janet Fielding have aged well but I thought Colin Baker could lose some weight.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)