100 words a day - for slow writers, or those with writers' block

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I was talking with Van in AO3 comments about time and motivations and so on, and I realise that because i have less time and less inclination for writing at present (that better change soon! :bash) I've come up with a way to be writing, while not actually anywhere near to publishing at present, and that is simply that every day I try and write at least a couple of paragraphs, even if it feels like a grind and as if I'm not writing anything 'good'.

It doesn't take much time to slap down enough words to keep a story feeling 'alive', and the next day I read yesterday's bit back, edit/polish it a little bit and mostly it turns out to be not as poor/dull as I thought it was.

This takes little time - about 15 minutes out of the day - and yet it's keeping me optimistic and as if I'm still in the game.

I thought it might spur you too Van - or anyone in this position. Just write, somehow, something, anything, EVERY DAY, even if just '100 words.'

(This is not a new, or original idea, but it's one I find has really helped.)
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

merry wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:51 am I was talking with Van in AO3 comments about time and motivations and so on, and I realise that because i have less time and less inclination for writing at present (that better change soon! :bash) I've come up with a way to be writing, while not actually anywhere near to publishing at present, and that is simply that every day I try and write at least a couple of paragraphs, even if it feels like a grind and as if I'm not writing anything 'good'.

It doesn't take much time to slap down enough words to keep a story feeling 'alive', and the next day I read yesterday's bit back, edit/polish it a little bit and mostly it turns out to be not as poor/dull as I thought it was.

This takes little time - about 15 minutes out of the day - and yet it's keeping me optimistic and as if I'm still in the game.

I thought it might spur you too Van - or anyone in this position. Just write, somehow, something, anything, EVERY DAY, even if just '100 words.'

What a marvelous idea Merry. You're such a clever lady. I understand when the inclination to write fades...but it comes back. Keep on! Hugs
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Vandraren
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Vandraren »

merry wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:51 am I was talking with Van in AO3 comments about time and motivations and so on, and I realise that because i have less time and less inclination for writing at present (that better change soon! :bash) I've come up with a way to be writing, while not actually anywhere near to publishing at present, and that is simply that every day I try and write at least a couple of paragraphs, even if it feels like a grind and as if I'm not writing anything 'good'.

That is a great idea, Merry! I will try it :) I have some big reports to write for work this week though, so my 100 words might have to go to those for the time being :rofl Another way to do this is to decide to write for only 15 minutes. But I kinda like your suggestion with the word count better :)
Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint. ~Jane Austen
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

15 minutes is fine too :) whatever works. Just so we can think to ourselves, 'I'm a writer - I'm writing at present.' And you mark my words, something good will come of it :toast

I did mine yesterday but somehow haven't yet today but I will, I will.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I understand when the inclination to write fades...but it comes back. Keep on! Hugs
Thank you, my Pipkin! :hugs
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Hey, merry,

Coming upon this post again. I was thinking that with your circumstantial decrease in personal time to write if your advice to us last year would be helpful to you. I guess there would have to be "the writing zone" as well, because I am imagining that it can be hard to write 100 words if you're not "in the zone".

I know that I would like to write something for the correspondence collection, and I am not getting the vibe. I have the idea (which for me are hard to get in the first place) and then write it because I feel that I have to do a lot of reading of the book to get the feeling/tone of what I'm wanting to write. Also, am I following the book or the movie. It's my third fic, so to speak, and I'm as clueless as I was when I went in the first time, Which is also why I think my first one is rather silly; that one should have been a multi-chapter, and follow the character of the characters better. I like my second one better, because it was more in tune with the book/series.

Maybe I should try the 100 words for it anyway.

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:57 pm Hey, merry,

Coming upon this post again. I was thinking that with your circumstantial decrease in personal time to write if your advice to us last year would be helpful to you. I guess there would have to be "the writing zone" as well, because I am imagining that it can be hard to write 100 words if you're not "in the zone".

I know that I would like to write something for the correspondence collection, and I am not getting the vibe. I have the idea (which for me are hard to get in the first place) and then write it because I feel that I have to do a lot of reading of the book to get the feeling/tone of what I'm wanting to write. Also, am I following the book or the movie. It's my third fic, so to speak, and I'm as clueless as I was when I went in the first time, Which is also why I think my first one is rather silly; that one should have been a multi-chapter, and follow the character of the characters better. I like my second one better, because it was more in tune with the book/series.

Maybe I should try the 100 words for it anyway.

ME
This is a great idea, Mim. No one can control circumstances. But we can try small steps, can't we?
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC