North and South Chat

mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

merry wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:01 pm I do absolutely love that poster (thanks for sharing it Forsteriaana) - maybe you should get it, Mim - if they will ship at not too exorbitant a cost... I would just have liked perhaps a little pic of J/M on it somewhere... though I can see it would spoil the design.
I'll look into it. I like that it doesn't have J/M (the RA and DAA version) on it because that would get my husband more than a bit concerned about my obsession. It's bad enough that my copy is the copy with the actors on it. When EGH had their fans around the world send in pics of their copies of N&S to them, I sent a pic of mine at Tim Hortons (THE ultra-Canadian coffee place (even if it's not that great)).

ME
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

When EGH had their fans around the world send in pics of their copies of N&S to them, I sent a pic of mine at Tim Hortons (THE ultra-Canadian coffee place (even if it's not that great)).
Ohhhh what fun! That sounds like a great idea! we could actually do that on here!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

because that would get my husband more than a bit concerned about my obsession. I
Oh nooooo
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

I once found it and I love it. It's so lovely and funny too. I like to imagine what would be next what our lovebirds could do and in my mind they doing very smuty thing (although they're not married yet and how we know they won't do it till wedding), but anyway I like to imagine it! :rofl :loveeyes :heart
Attachments
Screenshot_20220128-183423.png
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

🤭🤭🤭
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

I like to imagine what would be next what our lovebirds could do and in my mind they doing very smuty thing (although they're not married yet and how we know they won't do it till wedding), but anyway I like to imagine it! :rofl :loveeyes :heart
:D :lol

I LOVE it! :hugs

I just fell down a rabbit hole of 'pre-marital sex in Victorian times' and clearly it did actually go on all the time, but much less in the upper classes (who would be terrified of a baby being born less than 9 months after the wedding, marking them out as 'immoral' )- but still - "For stories set later in the nineteenth century, though, it would be much more taboo. Instead of being a dividing line between high society and everyone else, it would divide the immoral from everyone else. Couples who did have premarital sex generally worked hard to hide it."

Under a blanket alone at Marlborough House while snowed-in is hiding it, isn't it? :devil so long as a little John is not seeded in Margaret's tum and there are ways to avoid that *Seb happily thinks of ways*
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

merry wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:19 pm
When EGH had their fans around the world send in pics of their copies of N&S to them, I sent a pic of mine at Tim Hortons (THE ultra-Canadian coffee place (even if it's not that great)).
Ohhhh what fun! That sounds like a great idea! we could actually do that on here!
Attachments
RIMG0276.JPG
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

merry wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:29 pm
I just fell down a rabbit hole of 'pre-marital sex in Victorian times' and clearly it did actually go on all the time, but much less in the upper classes (who would be terrified of a baby being born less than 9 months after the wedding, marking them out as 'immoral' )- but still - "For stories set later in the nineteenth century, though, it would be much more taboo. Instead of being a dividing line between high society and everyone else, it would divide the immoral from everyone else. Couples who did have premarital sex generally worked hard to hide it."

Under a blanket alone at Marlborough House while snowed-in is hiding it, isn't it? :devil so long as a little John is not seeded in Margaret's tum and there are ways to avoid that *Seb happily thinks of ways*

That sounds like a fun (and naughty) story. :twisted:
I wonder how much they knew about timing and ovulation...that could be the way to prevent that. Although I am sure that there were other ways. Or midwives...although why Margaret would be talking with one of those would be a bit awkward. Have fun in the rabbit hole. :rofl

ME
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

My search history is a sight to behold. Naughty things followed by 'in Victorian times'. Which now I come to think of it, looks like a deliberate bluff :lol
Birth control was technically illegal for married people until 1965, and remained illegal for singles all the way until 1972. However, as is often the case with laws restricting sexual behavior, people found their own ways around it.
Oh come on! this can't be true can it? :huh
the cervical cap emerged in the 19th century, but before they could get their hands on it, women would sometimes put half a lemon in their vaginas.
:eek

hands Margaret a lemon

thinks better of it and gives it to John

:devil
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

mimosa wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:25 pm
merry wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:19 pm
Wow, this is so beautiful, mimosa. I found it in Amazon Kindle too. I wish I could found this before I bought my N&S copy, but it's ok now. I have DVD with this pic. Love this! :loveeyes :heart
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

merry wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:41 pm My search history is a sight to behold. Naughty things followed by 'in Victorian times'. Which now I come to think of it, looks like a deliberate bluff :lol
Birth control was technically illegal for married people until 1965, and remained illegal for singles all the way until 1972. However, as is often the case with laws restricting sexual behavior, people found their own ways around it.
the cervical cap emerged in the 19th century, but before they could get their hands on it, women would sometimes put half a lemon in their vaginas.

hands Margaret a lemon

Wow, this is very interesting, merry. Thank you very much! :cuddle
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

merry wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:41 pm My search history is a sight to behold. Naughty things followed by 'in Victorian times'. Which now I come to think of it, looks like a deliberate bluff :lol

hands Margaret a lemon

oh.my.word. :o
How the heck can they even monitor a couple figuring on their own birth control/abstinence method? Because married couples would/could do that. I mean...if women had to lay back and think of England, and their marriages weren't for love, etc., etc., they were probably telling their husbands that they were too tired or ill or sore or blah blah and didn't want to be visited...that's also a form of birth control.

the lemon...smirk. I say, ew. :lol

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

Don't worry I'm not going the lemon route :rofl

BTW I wanted to see if they did know about the ovulation cycle but found no reference to Victorians using that method, so presumably they didn't? I guess it's not an obvious cause and effect there. (They had an interesting topic on Mumsnet of all places once - "When did humans realise that sexual intercourse was the cause of pregnancy" which I thought an interesting question.)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

I feel people knew a lot more about sex than we gave them credit for. But then, who knows?
Last edited by Philipaholt on Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Guys, I saw this Colleens answer in N&S number game topic "3 - the number of children Hannah Thornton had.". So logical that I had question not only about it, but two more yet.
  • Did in book was mentioned how much children are Hannah Thornton?
  • Did in book was mentioned Margaret's full name "Margaret Ann Hale"?
  • Did in book was mentioned Mr. Bell's name?
Well, in several fanfics was mentioned 3 children for Hannah, Margaret's full name Margaret Ann and that Mr. Bell's name is Adam (but there was one more name which I can't remember). I can't remember that in book could bs mentioned this all nor in miniseries, so from where all these fanfic authors get these things? Did they come up with them themselves? :eek :huh I would love to know it cuz it'll be need for my stories. And I know that I need to reread a book. Hope will help me! :blush 😉
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:21 am
  • Did in book was mentioned how much children are Hannah Thornton?
Hannah Thornton had three children: John, Fanny, and an unnamed daughter who died of a fever (Margaret reminds her of a bit)
I'm not sure about the middle first name things.
(she/her)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

Did in book was mentioned Margaret's full name "Margaret Ann Hale"?
No. I made up her middle name as Ann but I'm sure others have done it before me as well.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:47 pm I feel people knew a lot more about sex than we gave them credit for. But then, who knows?
I did some extensive researchnon Victorian sex practices and my gosh there is some stuff I feel I should unsee! 😂😂😂
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

TRavine wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:06 pm
Philipaholt wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:47 pm I feel people knew a lot more about sex than we gave them credit for. But then, who knows?
I did some extensive researchnon Victorian sex practices and my gosh there is some stuff I feel I should unsee! 😂😂😂
🫣🫣 I don't want to know 🤣🤭 thanks for taking one for the team
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:21 am
  • Did in book was mentioned Mr. Bell's name?
It turns out Project Gutenberg is our friend!
"And the old man has not a known relation on earth; ‘who is there to mourn for Adam Bell?"
But it's literally a single entry in the entire book, so anyone would be forgiven for not remembering it.
(she/her)