Poor old Charlie

News & Friendly Debate
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by eccles »

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by Furby »

It's almost the same story as that of the king isnt it. Operation for non cancer and then cancer discovered.

The succession planners will be busy because apparently they thought they had at least 10 years allowing the children to be old enough to be new monarchs and monarch helpers should the worst happen so weren't bothering much just yet but with cancer you are lucky to get five years. Worse as it's a family the chances other members will be affected if they are allowed near that hospital are higher than population in general. I hope Anne and Edward are ok that's all that's left now isn't it. Anne was already complaining after coronartion about slimmed down monarchy.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by OurCreature »

with cancer you are lucky to get five years
That depends on what sort of cancer and how early they diagnose it. I have a friend who was diagnosed with testicular cancer more than 20 years ago and he's still knocking about though now he has a few non-cancer ailments. Over in Iceland old Oddur had stomach cancer in the 1950s which meant that a lot of it had to be removed, and he died in 1987 in his 80s.

In the end I think it is just the luck of the draw. So far as the slimmed down monarchy is concerned, they'll just have to decide what sort of monarchy does Joe Public want for his money, especially as quite a lot of the Royals have ruled themselves out either by past inactivity (eg Beatrice and Eugenie) or explicitly ruled themselves out like the Sussexes, or become toxic like the Duke of York. As Furby points out, the available willing and suitable pool is spread somewhat thin.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by Furby »

Prince Andrew in his pre known toxic days tried to get royal jobs for his daughters but because of slimmed down monarchy plans they weren't wanted at that time so they didnt rule themselves out they were ruled out but same difference where we are today.

There's a big fuss about Catherine and doesn't make sense really because sad that anyone is ill from anything but the king is the king and no one made this much fuss for him with very similar story and Catherine doesn't affect the line of succession other than she was being lined up for potential regent to child monarchs I think same as Prince Philip was for Charles in the 1950s. For similar reasons then they didn't want Margaret being regent then any more than they don't want Harry now.

They are still keeping secret what type of cancer for king and princess both and this does matter because some cancers are more deadly. Of course any reading doctors would know that and tell tales on TV which is probably why kept secret.

Princess Elizabeth had no education and hardly any monarch training because details of her father's health were kept from her and not being educated she didn't know better.
Despite this the crown managed until Elizabeth learned what to do so I suppose the university educated William will manage somehow even if he does miss the opportunity to learn king work from the old king as he is too busy looking after small children. Family businesses don't really work well with potential new leaders only able to work once children are grown up because you need old leaders living and working to almost 100 and thata quite rare even in these days of modern medicine.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by eccles »

I can see Andrew being "forgiven" and brought back into the fold quite soon. He's unpleasant and arrogant but if he's prepared to work, it happens in politics all the time so why not?
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by Furby »

I don't think Charles will be allowing Andrew back. Charles didnt like Andrew even before Epstein-gate. And getting rid of him was probably main motivation in slimmed down monarchy idea. It's a pity in some ways as Andrew seems the only one in family to actually enjoy the silly hats and capes and being a prince stuff. But everything Andrew looks bad by today's standards and they have enough bad press as it is.

Anne was out and about at Lockerbie and is looking very very old. I hope she is ok. The royals can't cope with another one down can they?
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by merry »

I'm no Royalist but I felt v sorry for Kate, delivering her message with courage and dignity. I thought she was going to cry at one point :(

I'm even feeling a bit sorry for Charlie, he looked so forlorn and pale in the car today.

Am I going soft?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by eccles »

"I'm no Royalist"
Geddaway? :D
I wonder if The Sun will come out with a "Horrible Anus (hnur-hnur)" type headline to lighten the mood?
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by Patience »

According to the very accurate rumour mill Anne has been ill since before Christmas.
We all know that is now destabilising hackers that are saying this.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by Furby »

Charles will be going to church on Easter Sunday. He is head of the church now and Easter is it's biggest day. Because of his cancer he will sit with Camilla away from other family members.

This is where the press people seem to be looking for trouble. Say nothing and take the bad press for secrecy or say something but make it make sense. Charles has been photographed for publicity photos meeting and greeting foreign ambassadors without gloves so if can meet them why not his own family. And sat with Camilla who has been out and about meeting over 150 people in a cathedral two days earlier. They seem to be just reusing the covid rules i.e. meet essential people at work and allow household members to meet people at work and come home to you but do not meet other family and friends and we saw how successful COVID measures were at stopping infections. Maybe these were the existing cancer isolation rules they just used for COVID.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Poor old Charlie

Post by OurCreature »

I saw that pic of the King sitting at his desk, and he looked like someone else who I couldn't quite place - he didn't look like himself at all. I agree with Furby, last time I saw a clip of Princess Anne out on a public engagement she looked as if she had suddenly aged 10 years.

If Princess Anne does get knocked out of action, that leaves only the Queen and the Wessexes to do all the hand shaking. Meanwhile Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice are said to be feeling snubbed because they haven't been asked to be part time Royals to help out.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.