Rishi Sunak priorities

contentious or thought-provoking issues
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by Furby »

Rishi sunak made a speech outside number 10 in the rain with protestors shouting out even with the gate security they have at number 10 these days. No one seems quite sure what he was actually saying or more importantly promising to do. It was on the lines of what a mess we are in with protests every week and now election votes that go ways he doesn't like under religious pressures.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by OurCreature »

I didn't see the detail of it and I doubt if very many people were listening. I think that folk are more concerned with what Mr Hunt says in his Budget speech next week.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by Furby »

Leaks say there is a 2% cut in national insurance in the budget and that it hasn't been possible to reduce income tax by 2% as the would be inflationary.

So they are still thinking on the same lines which I suppose is something as this lot don't seem about to stick with anything long enough to see through. I still dont understand logic though restricted to ni instead of tax just means pensioners don't get the benefit so what would pensioners buy that would cause inflation that working people don't buy. Maybe they are hoping more people will work but most who don't work aren't capable or suitable for available jobs so the offer of paying less ni won't get them working.

All the happenings of recent times look as though all sides are hoping they lose the election . Who wants to be a government when all the money is gone and wars everywhere and a diverse population such what whatever is decided too many people at home are unhappy.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by Furby »

Inflation is down again which is better news than being up again I suppose but still high enough the bank of England chief has to write his excuse note explaining why. This never gets mentioned these days and seems no consequences for him.

Rishi meanwhile has rumours of plotting to be rid of him as leader. I despair that anyone even considers this they should have learned by now that each new leader is worse than the last one. Why anyone would want the job at this stage I dont know.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by Furby »

Inflation is down although still above the 2% an excuse note is needed for.

While good news for economy and mortgage holders I will be sorry if interest rates drop although will make income tax easier. (Maybe it won't tax is a can of worms) In the olden days (only last century so not long ago really) interest rates were circa 5% up and down a few percent along the way and I had expected this for my retirement. We seem to have moved into expecting almost zero rates as only good outcome but I wonder why someone didn't think of this in last 300 years if it's possible.

Food doesn't seem much cheaper to me but might be the things I buy are in the category of make up silly prices for marketing reasons beyond me. Margarine is one of these. Now 2.45 for clover unless on offer but if you need margarine can't wait for offers and has a shortish sell date so can't stock up much. This is probably why they choose it for the silly prices. I bought own brand spreadable butter for 1.90 it's ridiculous margarine being dearer now. So it's not really countable inflation going up bit by bit it depends which day and where you buy the basket.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by eccles »

Only a small drop in inflation to 3.2%. I was expecting below 3%.

I've given up on Clover. As you say, Furby, it's ridiculously expensive and the taste is nothing special any more since they cut the buttermilk content. I now buy supermarket brand spreadable butter which is a Lurpac copy with identical ingredients and contain over 60% proper butter. Lidl and Aldi versions are called Nordpac and Danpac (what a coincidence). Asda's is just called Asda Spreadable. All have the same colour packaging as Lurpac (these coincidences mount up don't they). All of them are cheaper than Clover and taste better. BTW you can freeze butter and margarine.

I have tried Flora Buttery which was given as a substitute on an online order. It may be called "buttery" but contains no butter at all which is a bit of a swizz unless you're a vegan. Having said that it tastes quite nice and is cheaper than Clover. Watch out for shrinkflation though, the pack size is 450g instead of 500g.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by Furby »

On the news today is some nonsense about rishi stopping people benefits if they don't look for work and extra efforts to make sick people work. Is this a parallel universe doesn't that already happen.

Fourteen years ago I couldn't get a sick note. Fit notes had just been brought in and gp refused to write me sick notes claiming it all has to be fit notes now government says so. Workplace werent used to fit notes being used as sick notes and made me return to work. I was really struggling and not at all fit to work. I was in a workplace with generous sick pay for my exact circumstances but without a sick note I couldn't get on that pathway.

There was an option for fit for nothing which my GP refused to grant. So I don't think rishi needs a new system there is one already and I suspect that GP have decided to start ticking the fit for nothing box effectively re instating sick notes. Something has changed somewhere and instead of reinventing the wheel the gov needs to find out why the system they introduced in 2010 has stopped working. I don't agree it was a sensible system but I can confirm it was the system. No one got sick notes everyone got fit for something or fit for nothing notes. Fit for nothing was supposed to be extreme cases only.