Pancake Day!

Top tips, handy hints, recipes
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by merry »

We had a pancake day topic on the Old Board, I can't remember its title, something about 'running out of eggs'?

Who's having pancakes today? English ones (thin batter, thin pancakes, what the French call 'crepes', served with sugar and lemon juice ) or American ones - thick fluffy things with whipped butter and maple syrup?

I had forgotten it was PD till I saw the Tossing Lady at the top of the board!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by Furby »

I think it was dont forget the jif lemons but they are discontinued now. Always do the thin pancakes lemon and sugar in furby house.

I dont have a gas cooker and hob now so its not so easy with a boiling ring so might just do the one for ceremonial reasons and make yorkshire puddings in mini oven with the rest. Or just put lemon and sugar on the puddings is another plan.

Hope everyone who wants pancakes thought to stock up on eggs and lemons both always run out in shops this time of year and eggs are difficult these days anyway.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by OurCreature »

No pancakes for OC - I don't usually make them just for myself anyway, and I am on short commons today because I am lunching with two Knightwood friends tomorrow.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by merry »

I was lucky and had two lemons in my fridge! :D ok one was rather elderly but it juiced up fine (tip: give lemons a 10 or 15 second blast in the microwave to make their juice run much more freely. No more unless you want Lemon Surprise splattered all over the window.)

Mine were thin and crispy today and extra delicious! just lemon juice and sugar. I can't remember last time they came out so well. :up

pancakes.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by mimosa »

It is not something I grew up with.

BUT, merry, it looks like you already had pancakes...so tell me, when "are" we supposed to eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?

I would probably do the thicker ones, although my thick ones end up being thinner than I'd like (or at least in the pictures), so maybe I've always had my measurements not quite right.

I prefer pancakes for breakfast or lunch, but it makes for an easy and thoughtless supper. Well, I add "trimmings" to a pancake supper...fruit, yogurt, a protein like eggs or sausage/bacon. And some of the pancakes have to have apple in them, and some with chocolate chips.

My kids have never had thin pancakes with lemon...ever. I might have to do it sometime...although lemon gives my husband a migraine.

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by mimosa »

Furby wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:28 am I think it was dont forget the jif lemons but they are discontinued now. Always do the thin pancakes lemon and sugar in furby house.

I dont have a gas cooker and hob now so its not so easy with a boiling ring so might just do the one for ceremonial reasons and make yorkshire puddings in mini oven with the rest. Or just put lemon and sugar on the puddings is another plan.

Hope everyone who wants pancakes thought to stock up on eggs and lemons both always run out in shops this time of year and eggs are difficult these days anyway.
What about a baked pancake or a Dutch baby pancake (that is also baked...it puffed up and then flattens when it comes out.).

ME
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by Furby »

I suppose the thicker pancakes are more correctly pan cakes but I prefer the thin ones that you then roll up and cut into smaller pieces to eat. There are machines to make pancakes now but I don't have one so don't know if they do thin or thick.

We are supposed to eat them to use up the eggs and then go without over lent until we have eaten a chocolate egg on Easter Sunday then we can eat eggs again.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by OurCreature »

When I was in Gimli Manitoba in 2017 they were doing a pancake breakfast at the old folks club so I went along for that. The pancakes were like what we call Scotch pancakes and very nice. The al fresco breakfast was very well attended by us paying guests! And it wasn't just pancakes - it was scrambled egg, bacon etc as well.
Scotch-Mini-Pancakes.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by mimosa »

Yes, that is what they should look like, OC...at least here in Canada.

We did have pancakes in the end...I used a different recipe and made 1 1/2 times the recipe...the kids actually liked them better, so I'll probably use it more often.

I didn't have time to defrost and fry/bake bacon, so I made an egg pie (omelet), and we had yogurt with it. I don't prefer pancakes for supper, and neither do some of my kids. But whatever.

I have some leftover egg, so I'll probably have it reheated on toast.

ME
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by merry »

Anyone doing pancakes today?

I've decided not to! I'm so lazy nowadays and Mr M is not very keen on them, so it seems a waste of time.

He has a hospital appointment tomorrow, so I'm doing a little Valentine's Day lunch for us today with a card and a couple of tiny gifts :heart
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by Furby »

I am also not bothering this year. Pancakes are not worth the effort in cooking since I gave up the gas cooker.

Good luck for Mr merry at the hospital tomorrow.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by eccles »

Good luck to Mr Merry from me too.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Pancake Day!

Post by mimosa »

merry wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:20 pm Anyone doing pancakes today?

I've decided not to! I'm so lazy nowadays and Mr M is not very keen on them, so it seems a waste of time.

He has a hospital appointment tomorrow, so I'm doing a little Valentine's Day lunch for us today with a card and a couple of tiny gifts :heart
I did! And made the American fluffy ones...although mine aren't as fluffy as I'd like them to be. We don't really do lemon and sugar ones. Two of my kids and I don't really like pancakes for supper. Also...we don't do Lent either. I'd cook as usual...

ME