Coronation Nation (6 May) - souvenirs and other stuff

eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

OurCreature wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:14 pm One thing I forgot to mention was Penny Mordaunt carrying the Sword of State. She looked like an avenging goddess out of classical mythology. I thought her outfit suited her very well. In the background you can see John Major wearing his Garter necklace; I didn't know until just now that he is 80 years old, he looks very well.mordaunt.jpg
She might have been the PM had she not got stitched up by her fellow MPs.
When Rishi resigns after losing his majority in the general election next year she could well be a contender again.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

She's done better by not winning pm and being given the leader of the house job as a consolation hasn't she. For the last 70 years it hasn't been as important a role.

I fell asleep and missed the concert.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

It seems not everything went to plan on Saturday at Westminster Abbey. HM's coach arrived early, while the Waleses were late and, according to lipreaders, HM became tetchy and grumpy while having to stay in his coach until the Waleses arrived.

The plan, so I read, had been for the Waleses to arrive before the HMs and take their places in the Abbey. However Plan B went into motion and the Waleses had to walk in the rain a bit further than anticipated because HM's coach was in what would have been their parking place; and they had to come into the Abbey behind the King and Queen Consort (soon to drop the Consort bit).

The best-laid plans etc etc.

I dozed off during the service but all I missed was Archbishop Welby chuntering on about nothing in particular, and I woke up in time for Zadok the Priest and the Invisible Anointing.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I dont understand how the kings coach could have been so very early these things are planned with military precision and 5 minutes is a very long time to be out in those circumstances without their being some as yet unexplained cause. I wondered if original plans were for the gold coach which is so uncomfortable Charles chose to use the newer nicer coach which isn't as heavy and would get there quicker but if I can think of that the highly trained military people should have so maybe something else too secret to tell us.

The prince of Wales and family probably left their arrival until the very last minute to avoid any opportunity to talk to anyone else n the abbey while waiting for king to arrive and so when it turned out they needed to be 6 minutes early because the king was 5 minutes early all went wrong. The king was early rather than prince being late I saw it live and presenters were saying suppose to be 1053 on the notes it's only 1048 etc.

There is now an official portrait from the palace showing Charles new slimmed down monarchy. Its all very well for this year I suppose but the duke of kent and Alexandra are nearly as old as the queen and Edward and Sophie had to hold Alexandra up. The further relations made sense for the queen in 1953 as she only had Margaret who wasnt a lot of use at real work and the Kent and Gloucester were next in line until Charles was 18. Then Charles decided need to slim down but it's not very good succession planning. None of the younger generations are being trained up except George Charlotte Louis who are all under 10. As everyone except the poorest and thickest go to university now and the boys at least will be expected to do at least a few years in the military it's going to be 15 years before the Wales children can work. The bunch in the photograph are unlikely to last 15 years being capable of hard work and long travels as all except William and kate 40 and Edward and sophie 59 are already over 70.
Last edited by Furby on Tue May 09, 2023 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I love hearing about HM becoming grumpy :D he always seems like a man on a bit of a hair-trigger.

Rude of the Wales' to keep him waiting though! Are they the ones who have the kids tho? I can imagine 'I need another wee, Mum!' setting off a chain reaction.

I do like the gold and red colours in that pic. Tho I prefer the ones with the children in. The little guardsmen were cute.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

she only had Margaret who wasnt a lot of use at real work
:rofl

Love it!
The king was early rather than prince being late I saw it live and presenters were saying suppose to be 1053 on the notes it's only 1048 etc.
In that case the Waleses were OK. I watched the Coronation on the red button and the commentators there didn't mutter about the King being early IIRC.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Before the coronation I hadn't really realised how huge those crowns were. Maybe it's just me but I couldn't help thinking that they looked slightly ridiculous, and if the King intends to slim down the monarchy, that's where he should start.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

I know I'm not a Brit, and don't have the same experience...

But I thought the whole thing was rather fascinating and exciting. Not ridiculous at all.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

No, I don't think the coronation was ridiculous, just the crowns which I thought were too large and ostentatious. Surely they would be better if they were a little smaller than the heads on which they were placed. Something like this maybe?
uther.jpg
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

eccles wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:02 pm No, I don't think the coronation was ridiculous, just the crowns which I thought were too large and ostentatious. Surely they would be better if they were a little smaller than the heads on which they were placed. Something like this maybe?
uther.jpg
fair enough, Eccs. That crown is more practical.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

To be honest I thought it looked as if the chap had a big, plush footstool on his head :lol

Headgear always makes me laugh though, whether regal or religious. Humans seem to attach so much importance to what they solemnly plonk on their HEADS! Donkeys would never be so silly

donkeyhat.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The new king has cancer and with his family history for men in the family its looking even worse for succession planning than it did last year. I hope the king is ok for a while because no one can cope with another coronation any time soon.