Starlink!

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Starlink!

Post by merry »

Juliet was out rugging the horses tonight and spotted this scary thing in the sky (she really was scared!)

When she got home prattling on about her 'UFO', JYM (who has a degree in astrophysics) pointed out that Starlink had been launched tonight so all became clear.

She got a pic -not great quality but I'm glad she got it!

starlink.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Starlink!

Post by eccles »

Great catch Juliet. :clap
Creepy though.
skynet.jpg
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Starlink!

Post by TRavine »

I wish I would see starlink some day. An acquaintance of mine caught a glimpse once when it was hovering above Austria. I mean, it's a cool thing.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Starlink!

Post by merry »

We ought to get the chance to see it sometimes. It was quite hard to miss, if you happened to be out in an open field, with clear skies, after dark, after the launch... hmmm.... maybe not often then, now I come to think of it!

Juliet would agree with you Eccles - she found it VERY creepy!

I didn't see Starlink :cry but I did catch Orionm and a possible shooting star - it was so cold outside I didn't feel like getting my tripod, so no astrophotography was possible, but I'll share it anyway

orion.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Starlink!

Post by eccles »

The Starlink programme is huge, aiming to have thousands of small low-orbit satellites for internet and phones. The ones recently launched are for phones but there are a lot of them already in operation with internet services offered in the UK and elsewhere. Needless to say, astronomers are not very happy about them.
Venus was showing very bright at about 7am this morning in the southern sky.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Starlink!

Post by Furby »

It must be disappointing to think you have seen a UFO and got a picture then have a husband with a degree in astrophysics saying it's only starlink.

All these satellites in the sky some are going to fall down sooner or later aren't they. In the lower sky won't be as much time to burn up in the atmosphere. Why do we need them for internet and phones anyway can't move for telegraph poles and road digups and all sorts of new style poles people keep objecting about. Shouldn't need satellites as well.