Have I planted my cactus upside down (the ancestral Furby cactus!)

Plants, gardens, tools, furniture, etc
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Well it wouldn't feel like home without this topic

This was Furby's picture from last year. The Ancestral Furby Cactus is on the right. I grew a clone of this from a leaf she sent me. Mine is still alive but looks a little mistreated this year :?:

ancestralcactus.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
STPD

Post by STPD »

This is lovely. And reminds me that my ancestral leaf did not come to much...we must try that again?! ;)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Haha we MUST! it was a total turkey! I don't know why, we did the rooting powder and so on and you have 'spiky green fingers' where cacti are concerned?! 8-)
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

This is the updated cactus photo for 2022. The above photo was showing the other cactus in flower I think. Ancestral cactus seems to have settled on being just a Christmas cactus and the other one does more equinoxes as chosen by it. I will do a Christmas cactus photo if it flowers at Xmas. It has some pink leaves at the moment so it's plotting something.
Attachments
16646395260140.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

:lol 'plotting something' :D

I am glad you posted an up to date cactus pic. This topic matters.
Ancestral cactus seems to have settled on being just a Christmas cactus and the other one does more equinoxes as chosen by it.
Brilliant.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

This is what ancestral cactus was up to. It has spread out and now has lots of flowers. It's nearly Xmas and it knows. I have had to move it from the windowsill as it was getting squashed and bending it's arms. It's not as light on the ottoman but hasn't stopped it's many flowers so doesn't seem to mind being there.
Attachments
16697914767600.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

And here's mine - its twin! They really do know when it's Christmas!

xmascaccy.jpg
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

My ancestral xmas cactus has started getting wooden leaves at the soil edge which is what happened to it last time before it died. So I will have to replant the green bits in spring and hope for its survival.

Other Cactus just drops off a branch of its green leaves and doesnt seem to go wooden much but its green leaves do grow when re planted. It waits until I am not looking and I find a branch of fallen green leaves just waiting there. It has two descendants now. But no flowers on any of them for Xmas.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Mine has got those wooden bits too! :eek

When you replant your green bits post in here to remind me to try the same thing!

We cannot lose the Ancestral Furby Cactus!
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

The Ancestral Furby Cactus is covered in beautiful pink blooms and has been throughout December. The leaves don't look wonderful but they didn't last year, either.

christmascac.jpg
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I haven't got a single one flower this year or any on the other more modern cactus either. So nice to see merrys has flowers this xmas. Maybe it's the shock of moved location but another cactus in a different room hasn't flowers either. I didn't repot but Its no longer on the windowsill due to growing too big but the other cactus in a different room which wasn't moved also has no flowers so must be Furby house this year.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Oh Furby what a shame.

My phone thought my pic would look prettier like this, and I agree

caccy.jpg
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I put my picture in xmas photos so copied it here for records so if we are all still alive next year I can check back.

I have moved the smallest other cactus back to the bathroom window to see if it helps but probably too late for this year.
Attachments
New year 2024
New year 2024
xmas 2023
xmas 2023