UK Landline Demise

Techie News and Qs
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by Furby »

This is about the UK but in the blurb somewhere it said all over europe is doing same. Easiest way to mine copper is take it from the phone cabling I suppose.

I have had the email saying I am being switched to digital voice but at the moment its just a threat there isnt a start date. I am on the ADSL broadband so I dont know how they will do me it all seems to assume already have the fibre. I dont have the fibre because I cant cope with house rewiring for power points needed and the phones come in the back kitchen. There is a solution for really old people with only a phone but only ADSL isnt mentioned. Maybe they leave me until last but 2025 will be here before we know it. Over 70s are being left until last hoping they die off I suppose and just as I approach OAP age the limit gets raised to 70.

I looked on my street and can only see the end terrace has a BT fibre box because they can trail it round their outside walls. So could be a problem at street level and not just furbies house.

Has anyone else already gone through this. Eccles has done away with his phone altogether so thats one solution but I prefer wired things really. I get a headache using a mobile phone for long and places you ring like Gas and HMRC keep you on line for at least 2 hours these days. People say its nonsense but its my head and I know it gets a headache.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by eccles »

I did away with my wired internet because I was fed up with Virgin Media's customer service pantomime; the little routine on the phone to the retentions team that customers are required to undergo in order to stop them increasing their prices every three months. BT only supplies FTTC and, unlike OC's service, my offered speeds are mediocre.
There are those who rely on a fixed handset, but for anyone else a mobile solution can make good sense, especially if you live in a suburban or urban location where there is a good signal. I did experience speed reductions due to maintenance during my first year or two but I now have built in system redundancy with a choice of two 5G sources from my current supplier. It is easy to change suppliers should I wish by removing the sim from the router and inserting an alternative.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by merry »

Oh gosh. This will be odd. I adore my smartphone but NOT for making CALLS! landlines are much better for that.

I'm going to stuff my fingers in my ears and go 'lalala this isn't happening'.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by eccles »

You'll still be able to keep your landline; it'll just be digital that's all, and it should be clearer than the old analogue system. The one drawback is that unlike the old copper system you will need a mains supply to power it. Which means that in the event of a power cut you will need your mobile phone.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by Furby »

Bt only works with their favourite choice of latest router. I don't use their router but the bt one I have on the shelf isnt that one will they have enough stocks to send everyone that very new router as well as send engineers out to rewire people's houses assuming people have already done the electric rewires needed to provide plugs on outside walls.

News stories tell of people forcibly switched but if they need to rewire the property how do they do that. Must be people with fibre a!ready so maybe I will be back of the queue just in front of the over 70s.

Coincidence but I got a card from ee who are part of bt these days offering me a new iPhone. It's very nice and yellow. I can get £263 pounds off and it's only £53 a month for 2 years plus yearly inflations added.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by Furby »

I would prefer to follow merrys advice and go lalalala.

I have looked into it and two different issues going on. One is losing the land phonesro router phones which will apply to everyone. I could cope with that although will lose my WiFi unless I can rig a proper router up as a secondary thing because ISP supplied routers only work on three channels and constantly switch on and off trying for the best of three. Which is a nice idea in theory but not in terraced houses where at least 5 signals are available if you had the password and fighting all the time. To use the phones on bt you have to use a "smart hub 2" or else.

The other problem is that some areas have been chosen as fibre only areas so if anyone wants to change anything at all they have to upgrade to full fibre. This is lucky furby. Full fibre means they have to visit the house and drill through walls and the modem and router hace to go on an outside wall one meter from two power sockets and no higher than 2 feet. So that won't be happening in my back kitchen.

The north west is on the spotlight next month so I will report back. Salisbury is the pilot case and they are all done now and having the copper switched off in October (delayed from April) and there have been some stories but it's not massive disaster on the news so I suppose people must be managing somehow.

Another thing that annoys me is its told as massive energy saving and yes might be for likes of bt not needing to power exchanges. But every person needs a modem and a higher powered router and some phone plug adapter things and an electric phone switched on 24 7 so overall it won't be saving planet I don't think. I only have one old small router at the moment.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by Furby »

I feel bad posting on this when there's poor Pani without any service at all for weeks. I am lucky to have any connections. The old if it's not broke don't be trying to break it serves me well.

Anyway I havent been upgraded to cyber broadband yet even though my area was in the news as being done. Their latest letter says I have 3 options

1. Keep paying the standard price and keep things the same
2. Upgrade to fibre for 75p more. Though they don't mention about losing my phone line and having to have house rewired to accommodate greedy needs for plugs and moving router and new phone to an outside kitchen wall.

3. Leave and find other supplier.

Number 3 I found interesting because companies don't usually suggest this. Maybe it's the new cartel if they all say our way or to elsewhere and elsewhere all says same it's job done like the banks with stopping money and post office with stopping letters.

I will obviously choose number 1 but seems odd if they are mid compulsory conversion they offer this as a choice. Government had some committee thing that told companies to pause forced conversions but only applies to very old people with care alarms so won't save cyber Furby. Could be the old story of left hand doesn't know what right is doing that happens a lot at companies now.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

UK Landline Demise

Post by Patience »

I renewed my contract with PlusNet last month and I was still able to keep my landline service.
One of the things which concerns me with power cuts is they sometimes take out the mobile masts. There were cases of that around the Elgin area last winter where only a phone line was available.
I have also noticed in the last couple of months, the mobile signal strength and availability round my area has significantly reduced and sometimes is not available in places which it has always been. There are no reports of any service issues.