Small Boats Until 2034 At Least

News & Friendly Debate
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Stop The Boats, eh Rishi?
The Home Office has earmarked up to £1.1 billion to manage Channel migrants arriving on small boats for the next decade, according to official documents.
That is from the Daily Telegraph via Yahoo News. Full article here:-

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/home-office-e ... 27725.html

Elsewhere Dishy Rishi claims he has lost all his Whatsapp messages re Covid because he has changed his phone several times; make of that what you will.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

If it's not small boats it will be big boats or lorries or cargo crates or small planes. Trying to narrow the problem to small boats only and a few hundred people to Rwanda only isn't really a full solution when it's already hundreds of thousands. They need a way to be international law compliant and to be able to repel invaders and certainly not to have to welcome them for free in luxury compared to poorer local citizens. But every civilised country seems to have same problem. International law is the problem so is impossible for UK government to fix the problem itself.

I think the problem is further back than the boats at Calais. Someone is helping them live for months while they travel across Europe providing food and drink and shelter and charging their mobile phones and paying for sim cards aren't they. Are charities helping organised crimes I wonder.

I don't know about whatapps as dont use it. Many people are saying of course if backs up the cloud etc and maybe theirs does but all phones dont. I haven't even been able to save text messages so it isn't a given everything is backed up. If they were going to delete history though why just do first three months why not do much more. The main lesson is going to be governments not using whatapps in future rather than anything medical for next pandemic isn't it.
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I think that immigration is really poorly reported as we only ever receive a headline number of immigrants. There's no explanation of why immigration has increased or breakdown of the categories of immigrant and whether they will be net contributors or not. For example, take university students: around 290,000 overseas students came to the UK to study in 2022/3 and brought a further 90,000 dependents. Our further education funding has changed dramatically in the 38 years since I graduated to the extent that without the income from overseas students who make up 25% of the total and pay 2-4x what a UK student pays the sector would either collapse or more likely the taxpayer would need to find an addtional £7 billion a year. Essentially the overseas students are subsidising the UK students. At the end of their study around 40% of overseas students, around 150,000, remain in the UK.

This is a bargain for UK plc - a large number of well educated young people where the UK has spent nothing on their upkeep and education. Even more so since the vast majority of overseas students take subjects that are directly useful to employers, like medicine, science or engineering (I spoke to the dean of Electronic Engineering at my old university a couple of years ago and he told me 82 out of 100 students in that intake year were from overseas).

There are similar arguments that can be made on other immigrants who come here to work - the 50,000 who join the NHS is the most quoted example but there are plenty of others who come to work in all industries, especially social care. Economically these would be classed along with the students in the "desirable immigrant" category in that they make a net positive contribution in skills and cash to the economy. However current government policy is that those immigrants that come with non-working family need to cover the cost of state provided services for their family hence the recent increase in salary required for a skills working visa bringing your spouse/partner from £26K/year to £39K/year. This group caused most of the increase in numbers last year.

Only 10% of the total are asylum seekers and illegal immigrants that have been caught. It is this last group that cause many people to get bent out of shape and economically they're right - this group usually have poor or no English and few employment prospects and cost taxpayer money to keep. Many also have severe physical and mental health problems so they will be a net drain on UK resources. It's at this point that someone has to balance the economic issues with the moral and ethical issues.

Going back to my original statement the problem I have with immigration reporting is that it fails to add context. All I saw were headlines of net migration soars to 672,000 and photos of small boats laden with immgrants and people who should know better saying it was out of control. Students and their families have contributed around 150,000 to the immigratioin total on average through the 2010s - this fell dramatically during COVID and so the 230,000 extra students this year is pretty much all down to those who delayed their study. COVID, Ukraine and Hong Kong are one-off events, not ongoing situations and if you take these people and the increase in students out of the numbers as a blip, net immigration was 350,000. That's still a high number but 150,000 of this number arrived on Health and Care visas introduced in 2020 to address chronic shortages in those sectors.

This is turrning into a rant so II'll finish by saying I find it dishonest for broadcasters to make sensationalist headlines about a million people coming into the UK and implying it's an invasion of small boats when this is only 40,000 people out of 1,000,000 and the other 960,000 are here at our government's invitation to fix our academic funding and health and social care manpower issues.

Data from https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... of%20total,)%20and%20British%20(84%2C000).
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I’m pretty sure that it has been established that the Tory’s have put their pals in the chief positions at the BBC and OFCOM so it’s no surprise that the figures aren’t reported properly. It’s the same with the printed press where the majority are owned by Tory pals and donors.
I’ve started subscribing to Byline Times. In the last few months they are stocked in WH Smith’s, Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and some independent news agents. It’s a monthly publication.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Many people are saying of course if backs up the cloud etc and maybe theirs does but all phones dont.
:up

Well here's the thing. I have recently changed phones, and wanted to transfer my WhatsApp history to my new phone, and I could not. Because I had set WA to never back-up (it's slightly more complicated than that, but the short version is, it hadn't ever made a back-up) - so all the history there was, was on my old phone, which not everyone might keep.

I solved my issue by making my OLD phone upload a backup to Google Drive, which took 6 hours, and THEN my new phone could download the history. Without that old phone still in my hand, all would have been inaccessible not just to the world at large, but to me.

So it's true that WA themselves keep no backups. Indeed, they pride themselves on it - one of its selling points.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

And if Boris and rishi were the top government at the time shouldn't they be keeping their data away from backups kept somewhere in a cloud noone is quite sure where anyway. Top secret. Government employees should really have their own cloud at gchq at very least. Government papers are on a 30 year embargo why should it be different online.

There does seem a fashion for companies relying on Facebook and Twitter and some mysterious chat thing if you need to contact them rather than having their own storage systems. Your information is then stored by twitter in messages (you can't delete both sides of a DM) its only as secure as twitter make it and they aren't governed by UK or EU rules. If likes of twitter collapse the customer service of most large companies will collapse with it. It's bad enough private companies rely so heavily on someone else's clouds but the UK government really shouldn't.

I doubt rishi is that bothered about migrants in UK because he will be off to California once he gets defeated as pm anyway. He isn't really best person motivated to deal with the issue. But at least he says he's trying. Keir starmer has already said under labour immigration will increase so it seems hopeless. I do keep thinking housing will be the issue to make something be done but we keep on managing somehow. What happens when all the hotels are full though we have already moved past all ordinary housing being full but where else is there if people can't be sent out the country.